• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Stocking Minnewaska and Osakis Questions

I am wondering if anyone out their is a historian on private stocking beyond the call of normal DNR stocking in these two lakes and if you can get contact names of groups doing this great deed?Need dates started,amount of fish stocked ,fry or fingerlings ,adults etc.Walleyes please. Thanks

The lions club stocks walleye into osakis. I know that they sold raffle tickets at the walleye tournament there to stock more walleye into the lake.

minnewaska lake (Contact Us Please). has been doing the extra mile there .Larry at minnewaska bait and tackle has all the details.

Try contacting Dean Beck or Jerry Wendlandt at the Glenwood Fisheries Office of the DNR. Phone = 320-634-4573. I believe permits are necessary and these guys are responsible for Minnewaska & Osakis

I'm part of a sportsmen's club and we wanted to put walleye in an area lake a couple years back. So first we contacted the DNR and they said it would be fine as long as we told them how many we put in this lake. That sounded fine to everyone, until we found out the reason why they wanted to know how many we were going to stock. It was because they took the number of walleye the DNR was going to stock and minus the amount we put in, so all in all we did that work for nothing. They know how many walleye they want in every lake and they won't let anyone mess with those numbers. They'll just let you do the work for them.

Well Minnewaska is going to need all the walleye stocking it can get, when they put a 200 boat slip marina on the Glenwood side next to the dance hall. You don't think that lake will be pressured?? It already is, and you add that huge marina, it will look like Lake Minnetonka. If you like that sort of thing and way of fishing I guess thats fine. But if you don't, and are a local fisherman of Waska you can thank the "big wigs" of Glenwood for making your fishing experience even worse, and even possibly (hopefully not though) ruining that lake for everyone.

PieEyed, I'm not trying to disagree but it's possible that it may not be quite as you described. A lake ecosystem can only handle a certain number of inhabitants. Adding more walleye may not necessarily improve the lake. Over-population can have a negative effect. It is precisely this condition that causes much of the cycling of our game birds, deer, etc. When a system is overpopulated, disease, starvation, etc. can and many times does run rampant.

If you are concerned about your experience and want a better bang for your buck, perhaps a better investment would be natural spawning bed restoration or other habitat improvements that help the lake's natural ability to take care of itself. This is one of the things our local sporting clubs have been doing for Lake Osakis. The long-term benefits far outweigh anything you can do in terms of stocking. Stocking may help in the here and now but improve the ability of the native species to survive and thrive and the future of the lake is preserved.

Give a man food for a day and he'll survive another day. Teach a man how to grow his own food and he'll survive for a lifetime.

Bob

Sorry, if I gave the wrong impression BobT. I agree with you. Too much of good thing can be bad. I just wanted people to know the DNR won't let you put more fish in the lake than they want in the lake. This is probably a good thing, for the reasons you stated. I also wanted people to know that the money you spend on stocking may be kind of a waste of time. I like your ideas better, spend that money on preservation and restoration of the lake. Well stated BobT.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.