• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

heading out on the Big Lake in the morning -- any tips?

Be going out of Knife River starting at about 9:30 a.m. We've got riggers and boards -- dragging spoons mostly, probably. We thinking like 50-80ft down or so? no temp sensor, but we do have sonar. Should we fish down toward stoney point or up toward coupla' harbors?

I know this is last-minute, but thought I'd throw it up here. THANKS guys --

Tom

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Usually if I'm running up the shore its to follow surface temps fishing top water earlier in the season.

Since I don't use the Knife often in mid and late summer I'd be going in cold but would have a few areas in mind. Stony, Larsmont, the edges of the bumps off Two Harbors or Stewart, and Silver Cliff. Pretty vague I know but it would be a search till you find something and then go to work.

A sounder will be your best friend today, pay attention to what its telling you.

Good Luck and give a report.

Thanks ST. I actually forgot to check this before we left this morning, but it worked out okay. We had a few releases right away, with fish bucking the rods good, but they kept coming off before we could really fight them. Ended up with a couple fish (3# or so) -- one for me and one for my grandpa (his boat grin.gif).

Fish came on the surface (10-15' down anyhow) on blue/chartruese and watermelon spoons. Lost a couple on the downriggers too and even broke a couple fish off (getting new line tomorrow blush.gif).

Beautiful morning to be out! Calm and sunny.

Hey rw:

Good to see you had success. Figure those high releases were salmon or loopers?

Good luck tomorrow, whether you're buying new line or using it!

Hard to say what was popping the lines, but the two we boated were a laker and a clipped steelhead, both on the surface (spoons behind boards with snap weights, maybe down 10 feet or so). Broke off another laker on a board line, too.

Possibly heading back out tomorrow a.m. -- thanks!

Tom