• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Invisible Dog Fencing?

Sportland_Bait

I'm thinking about installing an invisible fence system to my yard for my two dogs. Does anyone have experience with this type of fence? What are your opinions? Thanks.

Jason Erlandson

I have the Innotek system. It works good. The dogs run through if something really excites them, but my parents spent the big money and got an Invisible Fence system and my dogs still run through theirs. I think I paid $300 for everything including the little garden trencher that I rented. The collars are rechargeable and last about a month on one charge. Make sure they are charged though my dog got hit by a car 2 weeks ago because I hadnt charged the collar in over a month. Thank God she didnt get too hurt. She sure was a little sore for a while. I would suggest bigger wire though I think it comes with 18 gauage I would use at least 14. Makes up for the line loss.

Get a pro to install it for you. Pay them in cash and get a reduced price. Mine works great! Your dog will run through it in the beginning. My dog rarely (once per year) runs through it. Worth every penny becuase your dog's quality of life is so much better than in a kennel or worse.

I got the Pet Safe system from Lowes or Home Depot, pd 150$ for the system that has 5 levels of "Zapping Power". Like Wallter says, the dog will blast thru it once a yr just cause he is a dog, (rather funny heck watching em get zapped, because each time our dog has done it, he was mad at us for some reason, gives ya the look and runs, almost comical.)

System works good for us. Wire dont need to be buried, just low enough not to get caught by yard traffic or mower. I recommend it.

Rod

I went with the Invisible Fence option, and my dog never crosses. In fact, for the first year, she barely left the deck. They did a very professional job, and the training helped the dog learn the boundaries. I can't say enough good things. The hardest thing was writing the check.

We also got the Invisible Fence system. The installers did a good job and there is no substitute for the professional trainer that worked with our dogs. We have a pair of Bassets and they have never crossed the wire. I've watched them chase rabbits and squirrels at a full run, up to the line and stop dead in their tracks. When you can stop a hound dog from running a critter, you got something. But the system is only as good as the training.

I put in the fencing myself, I borrowed my neighbors power edger edged the entire yard then threaded the wire through a 3/16" box end wrench and stuck it into the trench and pulled the wire along to feed it to the end, worked slick went very fast. at the driveway I placed the wire in one of the expansion cuts they put in concrete and put some dabs of clear caulk to hold it in place so the entire yard is fence. Worked for me ! cool.gif

When I lived in Milwaukee I got a Chocolate and a Golden. I called some companies for some bids and they came in between $1000-$1800 if I remember correctly. I am pretty frugal so I figured I would do it myself, my wife didn’t’ like the idea but who wears the pants in the family? So I went to Wal-Mart and picked up on for about $150 that included 2 collars. I just want to tell you it was the best thing I have ever seen in the world, and yes I did try it out on myself.crazy.gif To this day (4 years later) my dogs still don’t even go close to the road.

They are a great tool for the right situation.

My nieghbor who has 2 small dogs put one in (not sure what brand). Just so you know we live on the edge of town. Well the other day he got up and let the dogs out and went to take a shower. When he returned there were his 2 dogs surrounded by a pack of yotes.

So just keep in mind if they are small dogs they can't get out but big dogs can get in.

I bought the Pet Safe model that does not require a buried wire. It sends a signal to the collar and has a cirle for a barier. My dogs know where they can and can not go from the trianing, they don't where the collars anymore and still stay in the yard. They only go out of the area if I call them. Good thing about it is, it is portable. I can take it anywhere and adjust the circle.

Best money I ever spent.

Mike

I don't put much faith in e-fences. After a while they always seem to get breaks in the line if your covering a large area. Some dogs will run right through after they've figured out they can outrun the shock. My buddies dog got killed by a car last year while wearing the collar. I'll take a regular fence any day.

We've had three Invisible Fence systems. One of our dogs is a runner and only went through the fence one time. His collar was adjusted to a higher jolt and less of a warning and he hasn't done it since. Our first one was professionally installed and was expensive. Number two I installed myself with a lawn edger. Part of that is left exposed in a loop so we can put it in the lake when ice is off and the dogs can go for a swim. The third one we had professionally installed because it goes through a lot of brush. We only paid for wire on that one because we still have the collars and transmitters from the first one and that's where the real cost is.

We had bad luck with the kind that transmits a circle from wherever you put it. The dog got zapped at random.

A friend of mine has the Petsafe collars and transmitters and has had no problem with it.

I installed a pet safe system for our chocolate lab and it is the best thing ever invented!! He knows the boundaries and will not cross them.

The one thing I have to say about pet safe

"THEY HAVE GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!"

I have called them with a few questions and they were great to work with. The only problems I had were worn out batteries and Guinness would not feel the shock of the first collar I bought, so they sent me a new one (with an adjustable setting) for nothing, no shipping, nothing.

Customer service that is that good is really hard to find these days.

Good Luck.

Oh, if you need sombody to install it, I would do it, it is a cake walk! smirk.gif

I put the Pet Safe system in about two years ago. The wire took about an hour to put in with a shovel. There is no need to bury it very deep, most of mine in about two inched bellow the surface - so installation goes pretty fast. It's worked flawlessly since. I keep the dog in the back yard and he knows just how far he can go without a "reminder". Even on the rare occasion he makes it outside without the collar he doesn't test the boundaries. I think I paid around $200 for the kit from Fleet Farm. I have no regrets.

Just so everyone knows pet safe is owned by sportdog. I put the sportdog invisible fence in and it works great. I have made a couple of call to there customer service dept. with questions and they where very helpful. I installed the fence myself and it was very easy, it took about 4 hours to do.. I used a sidewalk edging machine for the lawn and my circular saw with a fiber blade to cut the sidewalk and the driveway.

thanks Mark