• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dear Abby question

colonel42

I have a buddy of mine that has been a great friend for many years. This buddy has a yellow lab. Could be a great dog but basically live her life in a kennel. I know a lot of dogs live in kennels but this one never gets out. The guy works shift work and his wife works a normal day job. The kids are forbidden to let the dog out due to her running and enjoying her freedom. On the weekend the dog is left in the kennel while they go off to their camper where dogs are not allowed. They leave it food and water. Last night I was outside enjoying my smoke and the dog was nonstop barking. I called my buddy asking if he was home or not. His reply was he was at the camper. I told him about his dog barking and he told me he finds it hard to believe when the dog has a bark collar on. To top this issue off both the guy and his wife are allergic to dog hair. He does use the dog for maybe one duck hunt a year and I can't imagine the battle between him and the dog when that happens. OK here is my question how do I go about trying to tell him to pay some attention to his dog or atleast find an owner who will pay attention to it. He is driving me nuts and I feel for the poor dog. Any thoughts???

Wow tough spot you are in. Are you able to let the dog out? Could you call him and ask if you can let the dog out and play while he is gone. Tell him it seems that his life is very busy and you thought you would ask if you can help him out. Tell him you understand that he is busy but feel bad when you notice his dog locked up. If you have kids ask if they can play with the dog.

Maybe he will get the hint - maybe not. Sneak over- let the dog out and call the pound.

The sad thing is he takes advantage of me, calling me to feed his dog or make sure she has water. Ususally there is a ligit reason but most of the time is because he is to lazy and just doesn't have time to do it. It's very frustrating. I have asked him many time why he has this dog in the first place. I know it is none of my business but like I said it is very frustrating knowing this dog is living such a crappy life. As for letting my kids go over and let this dog out absolutly not. When this dog finally gets out of the kennel everyone beware. She does laps at lighting speed and it doesn't matter what is in the way she will hit it. Also if the dog were to head for the highway who knows you wouldn't ever see her again. Which probably isn't that bad of an idea. You can't blame the dog it wants to play but has never learned to play cautiously when children are present. If his kids are out and the dog is out there best not be any food present because it will be the dogs. Then when the dog grabs the food from these kids he will beat the hell out of the dog. It's sad because the dog doesn't know any better. Like I said this guy is a very close friend and I don't want to tell him how to do his stuff but you just have to feel for the dog.

My thought would be this. If he is a very close friend then tell him to sack up and take some responsibility for the dog. If he is unwilling to take care of the dog in the correct manner then tell him to give it to someone who will give the animal the proper care.

I can't tolerate owners of any animal that don't take proper care of their pets!!!

I think it's time to be up front and honest with your friend. When he calls from his camper again tell him it's his responsibility not yours. Doing favors once in awhile is one thing but it sounds like you are more of the care giver here than the owner, your friend.

GOOD LUCK!!!

WHat would you do if he started leaving his kids with you? Where do you draw the line?

If this guy is really such a good friend you should tell him how it is. Either he's gonna tell you to mind your own business or he's gonna listen. If its the first one then maybe he's not your friend. He's just using you so he can avoid his dog even more.

By doing his chores for him you are enabling him to ignore his animal and mistreat it. I realize you take care of the animal for the sake of the animal not for your friend, but you are only making it easier on your "friend".

I can understand the underlying friendship. Maybe just plain out ask him... can I find your dog a new home; i'm just asking because it seems you have a busy life...

What else can you do? If you stop helping him his dog suffers. If you do help him the dog continues to suffer. If you push too hard you can ruin a friendship. - A friendship which you want to keep, as well as you should.

Although, it can be said that if he values your friendship then talking to him should not bother him. Rather if you approach him as a friend and by being kind.

And if all that fails, call the dog catcher to check up on him when they are gone... a couple of rings on the door over a couple days with no answer will probably get the dog a ride to the pound... then maybe after he pays the fine and gets a little chastising he will straighten out. I don't think they would look to kindly on an owner "abandoning" their dog over a weekend...

Good Luck!

Ken

Simple....

When the dog goes on a barking spree again call the local Poilce department. They will send out either Animal control or an Officer (possibly a CSO).

Whether he is home or not that distrurbance will be documentd as will the condition of the dog and its quarters.

After a couple of these calls things will have to change.

remain annonymous and see if that works.

Obviously he won't listen to you. So take other avenues.

PRINT THIS OUT AND SLIP IT UNDER HIS DOOR OR PUT IT IN

HIS MAIL BOX

I think situations like this are more common than people realize, someone gets a dog - for a companion, becasue 'everyone else has a dog', because they want to be a hunter and 'you have to have a dog to be a hunter', etc. and then they find they don't have time for the dog - and they don't have a clue what poor dog ownership is. My sister in Woodbury is going thru this same situation right now, the neighbors have a lab that just sits in the kennel, the wife had wanted the dog, but then two kids arrive, even when they take the kids out in the stroller, the dog stays in the kennel. My sister ends up going and taking the dog out for walks and cleans out its kennel so it doesn't smell so bad.

I think you need to get the animal control people involved, after paying to get the dog out of hock a few times, maybe your 'friend' will put it up for adoption.

I hate to say this but his kids have been left with me way to many time too.

Wait until he's gone and take the collar off the dog and take it to a shelter across town. Mabye somone who likes dogs will get it, if not worse case scenario they put the dog down. That is more humane than keeping a dog locked in a kennel non-stop.

Call PETA when he is off at his camper. They will do the dirty work; this way, your hands are clean.

I think I will start with a scare tactic first. The reason I don't want to call is some how my name will eventually come back as being the bad guy. I will make a professional looking document and attach it to his door. Maybe with some of the info I have recieved here I will put together some kind of threatning note about fines or something about animal control will take issues under investigation. Just to let all of you know this is not the first time I have tried to talk to him about it and so have the police with fines and court dates. He believes all is better now that he has purchased a barking collar. Some nights when the dog is barking you just don't know how much I would just love to go over there and open the kennel and let the hound free. Not only would she be in her glory but also all of the neighbors in the hood.