• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good ole days

Bobby Bass

eyehead: A Church Key is a small metal opener, about 4 or 5 inches long, that would puncture a metal beer can. You would put two holes opposite each other in the top of the can. One for air, one to drink from. One end of the Church key was for cans, the other could pry caps off bottles. After cans came out with pull tabs, and bottles had twist off tops, church keys pretty much disappeared. Up to that point, bartenders always threw a couple in your off sale bag.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genegodawa

• The Grebe

• Bobby Bass

• ocf

Here's some of my TV/Movie memories:

-Bozo's Circus, and wanting to get on there to play the Grand Prize Game

-The Mickey Mouse club

-Three Stooges, and running home from school to watch them

-Beverly Hillbillies, I was in love with Ellie Mae

-Petticoat Junction, ditto with Bobbi Joe

-Burke's Law

-Green Hornet

-Red Skelton, one of the greatest comedic shows ever

-Andy Griffith, was Barney great or what? not to mention the Darlins, or Ernest T (or Floyd or Gomer or Goober)

-Gomer Pyle USMC - Golllleee Sarge!

-F Troop and western shows like Gene Autry and Roy Rogers (and the aforementioned Lone Ranger and Cisco Kid)

-Bugs Bunny cartoons, and then when they combined him with all those other characters (Daffy Duck, RoadRunner, Foghorn Leghorn, Pepe Lepew)

-Clutch Cargo cartoon, with Spinner and Paddlefoot

-the first time I saw the Hardrock, Coco, and Joe Xmas cartoon

-Tobor the Great, I remember seeing that movie on Family Classics (EVERYBODY knows that Tobor spelled backward is Robot, right?)

-The Time Machine, it would be so cool to travel back

-Deliverance with Burt Reynolds, saw it in High Sch and it was probably my first time learning about, well, you know,"squeal like a piggy"...still haven't taken any rafting trips

So many more....

PS Still have a small church key in my tackle box and one hanging in the garage - never know when I'll need it again.

stan larel and oliver hardy. larel and hardy and the little rascals. and wakeing up to boone and ericksons morning show with good morning good morning were glad to see you and good morning..... and waiting for the school closeings to be read the morning after a good anow storm. batman and robin boom boof and pow and the cards in the spokes yuppers we used to snich the neighbor lady's clothes pins to clip them on. smashing pumpkins on halloween and not the music group. hide and seek after dark like said. was great at this one. wow i totally ageree nice post. OMG leisure suits. and polyester pants that if you slid on the gym floor on your knees they melted thru. dodge ball and crab soccer.3 speed and then 5 speed and ten speed bikes, after you out grew your bannanna seat bike. makeing choppers out of your old bannanna seater hard to steer them things. the old met and the north stars at the old met center. ok here goes BOB LERTSIMA (splck) lou nanny alan page and carl eller. freddy cox.oh and the goalie that didnt wear a mask. cant remember his name. ok for now i AM dateing myself again

Hey, do any of you fellas remember the red and white checkered oily smelling kitchen table cloths?

Me, I don't mind if my memories give away my age...I was 58 on my last birthday...it is what it is...my wife won't let me date anyways, so I don't have to hide it from the ladies! grin.gif

I'm not that old yet (30) but I still have some good ole day memories,

Dukes of hazard every Friday night, dallas was after and we weren't allowed to watch that.

bread bags in the moonboots when they got wet, we weren't coming in just because of cold wet feet.

Star Wars guys, everywhere.

Knight rider big wheel, the one with the tassels.

Be home when the street light comes on, I still don't understand this one. By the time it came on, you were late.

Mcdonalds seemed like prime rib.

NE mpls parade

Sledding at Columbia

Hockey for hours upon hours at the rink, maybe ate one meal a week during X-mas break.

I remember fireplaces that used actual wood.

Speaking of mass media...when censorship made it safe to let your kids watch television or see an advertisement in a magazine or on a billboard.

Bob

I grew up in Linwood and went to high school in Forest Lake and remember a few things......

Burger Chef on Broadway.

Holy Crap, they're building a McDonalds.

Shooting ducks in the swamp that is now Famous Daves Ribs.

The Northland mall being built, then sinking into the swamp not one but two times.

Der Lach Haus....Turned into Quon Yees.....Now it's whatever the heck the name of the place is on the corner of Broadway and 61.

The Village Inn had the worlds best fries and malts.

Tracys ice cream.

Southwest Jr High is getting a swimming pool!!!!!!!!!!

Central Jr High, and split shifts.

1 stop light.

J's pizza.

Bud Grants son was our football coach, and the team sucked.

Outdoor hockey.

-Bringing up Laurel and Hardy, reminds me of Abbott and Costello - "Who's On First" is a classic and I don't think I ever laughed so hard as when I watched their "...Meets Frankenstein..."

-And what about Laugh-In? Some great lines from that one: "Here Comes Da Judge, Here Comes Da Judge...", "You Bet Your Sweet Bippy".

-Flip Wilson's Geraldine...."What You Say"

-Bill Cosby's Fat Albert..."Hey, Hey, Hey"

-George Carlin's Class Clown and the "Seven Words You Can't Say on TV" I didn't say ANY of them until I got to college.

-Censorship? Remember Smoking ads on TV? Or before there was swearing or (semi)nudity on regular TV? DESPICABLE now!

PS Isn't dating overrated AND expensive and cuts into fishing time?

I remember walking two miles to country school, in the spring arriving at school wet from wading in every ditch that held water, picking milk weed silk in the fall in onion bags for the WW 2 efford, the D.Defence used them for insulation in pilot vests I was told. collecting scrap iron for the same. Playing Indian with home made bows, we shot cat tails in the fall at each other, when you were hit the cat tail exploded and covered you with fuz. Walking two miles to either Gorman or Sabre lake to fish bullheads and carring the sack of your catch home, did anyone else ever try to skin a bullhead with a worn out pair of pliers?, its a slow job. First bicycle we had, had to be shared between 4 of us and you didn;t dare ride it till it was your turn. I had to drive horses while all the other kids in the neighborhood drove tractors, still don;t like horses. Getting up at 6 A.M. to do chores before school, the country school teacher sent me home to clean up one time. Only going to town twice a week, church on Sunday and on Sat. nite and dad giving me a quarter and saying don;t spend it all in one place and meaning it. Throwing a rock at my brother and missing him, the rock went threw the back window of dads 33 chev, always blamed my bro. for moving. Making sling shots out of a small tree fork, had to use a strip of red rubber inter tube for a real good one, we usually shot small round rocks found in the river, for amo. horseshoe nails were the amo. of choice, 10 cents would get quite a few at the local hardware store. This was how most of the farm boys intertained them selves back in the forties, are you other guys still worried about dating your selves with your posts? wink.gif

[and the goalie that didnt wear a mask. cant remember his name.

Gump Worsley, now I am dating myself!

Grebe

I remember the checkered red and white oil table clothes! (I'll be 57 next month) my brother and I would fight at the table over who got to squeeze the red dye coloring pack into the oleo package and who got to stir the peanut oil into a new jar of peanut butter.

YEAH!!! THE GUMP ty bobby how about sledding in the winter. and not with those plastic sleds either the old wooden toboggen that took two of ya to drag back up the hill. man i thought we were kings when santa brought us a new aluminium one for christmas. was so easy to drag back up the hill and went like crazy back down the slope. was the best thing until the first time it was jumped with and the curl in front folded down upon impact. back to the old wooden one. and the metal runnered sleds that would need a nice hard snowpack to run on. i remember taking the steel wool to those runners every winter to shine them up from the rust that had accumulated over the summer. and some before had said something about the hood pulled down the street behind the car. i remember my dad going down the hill in a canoe with his buddy. i remember my first ride on one of those new fangled snomobiles. dad knew a rep that worked for... ok dating myself again.... moto ski. it was a 45 horse grand prix. he took us all for rides all day on it we had a nice place to play right in my back yard. and a nice hill for the adults to climb up on it. well about the end of the day i got the privelidge to drive it with terry riding behind me. we got to the bottom of the not so steep hill. and he said for me to "hit it". but forgot to tell me to let off as we hit the top of the hill. well we flew up the hill and with a full gripon the throttle. as we hit the ground again proceeded to travel at quite a rate of speed untill we collided into my fathers tv service truck hit it at the rear wheel no one injured but the sled was not in the same condition as it was when terry had showed up. heheheh welll long story short and a few brandys later terry had headed back off on the now impaired sled, slightly impaired him self and while crusing across lake minnetonka drove it thru a fish house. (the headlight was a casulaty of the previous impact with the van) i am sure he had some 'splaining to do at work on monday on the condition of this now very damaged sled. we still laugh about it. ... paul WOW WHAT A POST!!! keep 'em coming

Exactly! Who would have ever thought those things would be smile producing memories as one got older....How about the wringer wash machine and the scrub board in the kitchen?

And can you remember before the automatic dishwasher?

I had THREE dishwashers in my house ---> my sisters!

How about no gas grills? My grandfather would ask you to pass the axle grease while sitting down for dinner.

How many of you would get you a$$ beat for running into the street or crossing in front of traffic? We were told the car is bigger, just wait. Now adays the car has to wait for the baggy pants little sh$%s to slowly walk in front of you.

And they give you a dirty look like the car doesn't belong on the street, they do?????

Like my one friend always says, "glad I'm not gonna live forever".

Quote:

What about when you could pop the hood on the car, and see your spark plugs?

Back when an auto-mechanic had to rely on trial, errror, and knowledge to fix a car rather then a plug in computer that details what to do when P-177-R comes onto the screen.

What about when you could pop the hood on your car an acually see the motor!!

P177 - Fuel compensation sensor circuit. wink.gifgrin.gif