• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

power loading

Gadgetman

Question

I know there was a discussion about this some time ago but am not sure how it ended. Here is my question, I have a 19'ProV with a bunk trailer. The only way I can get it on the trailer is by driving it on. Last weekend some old goat sitting at the landing chewedme out for power loading and told me that if the DNR was there they would have written me up. Is there any truth to that? I try and do it as gently as possible to avoid as much wash out as possible, but obviously some stuff is probably being blown out of the loading hole. Anybody know the deal on this?

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• mnvikingsfreak

• Fishin4Life

• prov1900

• BobT

Top Posters For This Question

Quote:

Quote:

I was at the Ramsey beach ramp at WBL a couple years back, and needed to walk to the other side of my boat to adjust something while I was loading it. (windy I think )I really was suprised when I stepped behind the motor and found that 5' hole.
grin.gif

Nick

I have fallen in the same hole! Kinda wakes you up, LOL tongue.gif. Don't think its from power loading though. That landing is nice for big boats, but good luck getting the boat on the trailer straight.

I have a different boat/trailer now... now problems. But you know I have seen folks kick up water and sand at that ramp loading boats. Some peoples kids!!

Quote:

Fiberglass boats need to have the bunk trailers if not, the rollers would leave dimples on the boats, the trailers are designed so you power load them on and off and if done correctly it minimizes loading/unloading time.

I'll show you plenty of 'glass boats on roller trailers. Run a credit card between your bunks and your boat sometime - most bunks support the boat in a few spots - not along the full length. I've had both bunks and rollers with glass boats. Properly setup, either is fine.

Powerloading - BACK YOUR TRAILER IN FAR ENOUGH! If you have bunks - dip your bunks, pull up far enough that AT IDLE you are within a foot or two of the winch.

Someone said they couldn't winch on their 21 footer. Really? Just last night I winched a 21 foot Hawaiian onto a tandem bunk trailer? How? I'm certainly not superman. The guy with the trailer was smart enough to back in far enough.

Powerloading not only builds a big pile of chit right past the hole you dug, it has been shown to suck the underlayment out from underneath the cement. Private ramps don't like to replace the concrete apron every year, that is why you most often find "NO POWERLOADING" signs at private ramps.

Just because you have seen the DNR do it, or the Big Shiny Ranger do it, or all your "bassin' buddies do it, or you haven't learned how to properly load your boat on the trailer - doesn't mean you can't change your ways. It DOES dig a hole, it DOES leave a pile of debris, and it IS the reason many of the concrete aprons are cockeyed - making it difficult for everybody to load their boat.

Don't be selfish - do it right.

Tim

Getting the boat to align properly with your trailer when powerloading has 90% to do with the depth of the trailer in the water, and 10% how you approach the trailer to drive it on.

In a heavy cross wind being by yourself, the most efficient way to get that boat on a trailer is to drive it on.

If your trailer is backed in too deep, you'll be crooked and your boat will have the potential to sway if there is a strong wind.

Not far enough, and it will require more power to load, more accuracy when you approach the trailer, and your boat will be at a greater angle once the bow is onto the trailer, which will sink the back end, potentially causing you to hit bottom with your motor, and certainly digging a deeper hole.

I'm a drive on guy, and I can back the trailer in, load it, and pull it out by myself faster then it takes quite a few 2 man teams just to crank the boat up.

If you got a new rig, it may take some experimenting to figure out how deep to position your trailer, and what depths work best for certain conditions.

I recall one time I launched at an access that had no ramp, no dock, and was as shallow as can be. (12" of water)

When I came back in, the wind was capping into the shore at better then 30 mph.

There was no way I was gonna push the boat back out against that wind, keep it straight, and hand crank it on.

I'd have walked in the lake but it was right after ice-out (brrrr...little willy won't go)

I was able to drive it up far enough to grab the strap, shimmy up the trailer, and winch it up the rest of the way.

Sometimes it takes creativness.

I agree with TimR I'm getting sick of stepping in 3 foot holes buy power loaders they are ruining boat launches! if wind is a problem back the trailer in like I do so half of the bunks are out of the water and pull boat on with the front hook till you cant anymore then use the hook on the wench to pull the boat the rest of the way on the bunks I can load and unload my 18 foot fiberglass boat in 1 minute and I never power loaded I think power loading is for inconsiderate lazy people that don't want to get wet be considerate to others and don't do it! do you like it when a jet skier or speed boat goes by full throttle 20 feet in front of your boat? its the same consideration level power loaders have at boat launches I hope the dnr bans powerloading maybe then we wont have to pay for some boat launches

If you put waders on to crank your boat onto the trailer, you might be a redneck..

Seriously, we got $3 gas and the depleting ozone layer to worry about! Instead we choose to discuss how people load their boats!

BTW- I'm a PL!!!!(Power loader)

I don't think it is necessary to demean this discussion because of the gasoline situation. After all, even though the gasoline situation impacts about 99.9% of everyone in some way does not make all other issues go away or become less important. The gas situation could have been prevented or at the very least delayed had we as a world society taken the necessary steps and headed the warnings of days gone by but no, we wait until it's a crisis before we begin to take it serious.

Bob

I am starting to wonder if you have the answer for every situation, maybe you should be a superhero wink.gif

Quote:

If you put waders on to crank your boat onto the trailer, you might be a redneck..

Seriously, we got $3 gas and the depleting ozone layer to worry about! Instead we choose to discuss how people load their boats!

BTW- I'm a PL!!!!(Power loader)

Bingo - couldn't agree more

All of you powerloaders just remember that huge hole does not remain in the same spot relative to loading with drought conditions. I live next to a public access and with the lack of rain the lake continues to go down. People are now backing into the big hole pushing their boat off and getting it stuck in ankle deep water on the other side.

Getting loaded and unloaded in record breaking time is not always necessary. It is nice when people are waiting but otherwise please remember not all boaters are as agile or athletic as you may be.

Thanks!

Quote:

I'm getting sick of stepping in 3 foot holes buy power loaders they are ruining boat launches!

IM kinda sick of waiting for guys with roller trailers taking forever to line there boat up on the trailer because they dont want to drive their boat up on the trailer. Go to a bass tourney and watch how fast you can get 30 -40 boats off the lake. Now go to a wally tourney and watch how long it takes the get 30 - 40 boats off the lake. I'll lay a bet the bass guys will be off the lake four times faster than the wally guys. It comes down to getting on and off the lake fast so the guys behind you dont have to wait. Power loading does not harm the lake or the boat ramp. When loading a boat it should not take more than one minute.

I don't have a boat big enough that I need to power load....so I at this point am not for one or the other...

...but why are people walking into the deep 3 ft holes (I know you don't know they are there, more of why are you walking back there in the first place? boat placement?) Wouldn't you have to walk into the water a little ways to reach the hole?

I have not had to walk to the rear of the trailer when loading any boats....but maybe it's just the condtions.

If power loading doesnt cause any harm then what is causing the huge washout divots at boat launches? confused.gif

Quote:

I agree with TimR I'm getting sick of stepping in 3 foot holes buy power loaders they are ruining boat launches! if wind is a problem back the trailer in like I do so half of the bunks are out of the water and pull boat on with the front hook till you cant anymore then use the hook on the wench to pull the boat the rest of the way on the bunks I can load and unload my 18 foot fiberglass boat in 1 minute and I never power loaded I think power loading is for inconsiderate lazy people that don't want to get wet be considerate to others and don't do it! do you like it when a jet skier or speed boat goes by full throttle 20 feet in front of your boat? its the same consideration level power loaders have at boat launches I hope the dnr bans powerloading maybe then we wont have to pay for some boat launches

I find it very funny watching that guy in the water having to load a boat. A person power loading isn't lazy they are using their trailer the way it is suppose to be used. Trailers today are drive on trailers. Meaning you drive the boat on or Power Load. I for one am not to crazy about getting wet to load my boat in Oct or April. Granted there are some extreme case of power loading. I guess I the only problem I see with depressions from power loading is if you aren't a powerloader and are in the water trying to load your boat. Now if you power loaded it you wouldn't have any problem smirk.gif. I know it really peeves me off waiting for that guy in the water loading his boat when it takes 5 minutes.

Quote:

I don't have a boat big enough that I need to power load....so I at this point am not for one or the other...

...but why are people walking into the deep 3 ft holes (I know you don't know they are there, more of why are you walking back there in the first place? boat placement?) Wouldn't you have to walk into the water a little ways to reach the hole?

I have not had to walk to the rear of the trailer when loading any boats....but maybe it's just the condtions.

Exactly what I was thinking

its not in the back of the boat thats the problem its right in the way of the trailer going into the water so the trailer is so crooked you cant load it without pulling the trailer almost all the way submerged then you pull out and run the risk of breaking your trailer axel in the divots

Must have a really long trailer if you are hitting the divots from power loading. I guess I have never ran into that problem.

Quote:

I am starting to wonder if you have the answer for every situation, maybe you should be a superhero
wink.gif

Yeah, no kidding! BobT- You remind me of Wilson on Home Improvment! You are pretty darn good at coming up with well thought out, sophisticated answers. Whether you power load or not, you da man!

so what do all you power loaders do when the boat launch says "no powerloading"?

Loading and unloading your boat is not a Olympic event and after reading how some of you guys react to a person taking longer than a minute. confused.gif Sometimes what is said on this site really demoralizes people and this is where the hostility and rage comes from. saying stuff like I can do it in this amount of time, followed by everybody should be able to keep up with me...is, forgive me, hypocritical.

We are all different and who knows maybe the guy you are getting ticked off at, is a brain surgeon and he thinks you should have the same skills(maybe not the best analogy)... people should not be judged, slow down give 'em all a break.

to powerload or not? I only do it to get the boat mostly on the trailer...low rpms. it does not bother me to see it. some people however, get the head shake.

Quote:

The same thought crossed my mind as well. Why would anyone be walking behind there boat at the ramp? That is a waste of time and you get all wet. Good luck with that in Oct and April.

If you trailer is tilted sideways on the ramp it is not because of power loading, it is because the ramp is not level. Some ramps are just like that and need some repairs. I have called the DNR about several ramps that need repair in my area and the DNR is always happy about the imput.

dan2957 -

How do you think the landings lose their integrity? Erosion...water moving the foundation beneath the concrete. What cause erosion? Current...wave action...usage. What cause current? Spinning props, for one, and the faster they spin, the greater the current, the greater the erosion.

You just shot yourself in the foot...hopefully, the other one is in the 4' hole, no?!? LOL

dan2957 its not the ramp its the sand behind the ramp that is the problem I have seen dozens of times on lake waconia and other lakes people in bass boats backing up to where the water is barely touching their tires and powerloading so it doesnt just cause diviots 15 feet behind the launch its within feet of the concrete ramp! im not here to argue im just saying some people dont agree with power loading hense the signs at more and more boat launches saying "no power loading"

Quote:

If you trailer is tilted sideways on the ramp it is not because of power loading, it is because the ramp is not level. Some ramps are just like that and need some repairs. I have called the DNR about several ramps that need repair in my area and the DNR is always happy about the imput.

Actually it is the powerloading that does it. I was out talking to the contractors repairing (from the ice last winter)the Forest Lake ramp this spring. I gave them some grief about "how about putting it in level this time, blah blah blah".

Response: "Check the landing out in a month - it will be level." "Check it out in 3 months, crooked as hell". "Propwash clears the sand and then underlayment from the concrete, and it drops". "Where do you think that big pile of debris comes from at the end of the year?" And that is exactly what happened at the FL landing this year.

I don't think most of the ramp delay comes from the "winching on/powerloading" aspect. Ramp delay comes from inexperience, ineptitude, or taking care of the tie-downs while in the way of everyone else. So really, I don't care if you can load your boat 10 seconds faster than I can. I care that Joe Blow just took 15 minutes to load his boat because the landing was crooked, Joe Blow's cousin has wedged his boat on the debris pile for 15 minutes, and DNR funds have to go to repair boat launches from unecessary powerloading.

If you are the guy just idling up your trailer, with a little juice to snug it up the last few inches - fine, no big deal. No damage, no irritation, and fast. You probably were smart enough to dip your bunks first, too.

If you are blasting it up the trailer - you are destroying the landings.

Tim

So just a quick recap. As I understand the comments and stuff that I have read...

Powerloading is ok as long as you are just gliding up onto your trailer, with maybe a slight bump on the throttle, and then crank her on the rest of the way.

IMO doing this will not create wash out because you aren't really pushing on it too hard.

The problem comes in when you have the trailer still half on the landing and come in slow then stop at the trailer, and then s*** can it to get the beast on...

This the general consensous or did I misread...

I guess I didn't see the title of this post as, "Who powerloads when the sign says not too?"

Obviosly if the sign says not too I wouldn't, however I think it can be done without causing a huge amount of propwash/current it depends on the individual loading and how much experience they have. I think this is getting blown way out of proportion again, as usual. I have been at many many landings and I don't see this problem we speak of as an epidemic!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'll have to agree with a lot of what Tim has said.

Glass boats on roller trailers probably have more support then on bunks. Where ever theres a mounting bracket on the bunk thats where the load is. Do the credit card test and see for yourself.

As far as cranking in a boat, I have no trouble at all and I've trailered some pretty big boats. The biggest was a glass 25 Saratoga onto a roller trailer. Always went on right the first time and took a whooping 2 minutes to load. One little ad-on to your trailer that'll make things so much easy and most likely save you from a fall into the water is a catwalk.

Theres a difference between driving on and power loading. I don't think anyone can argue that power loading doesn't scour out a hole. It also puts a lot of strain on the transom and hull. Depending on the landing and rising and falling water levels it can become a problem.

If the landing gets any wave action that action will fill the hole back in eventually. Of coarse thats depends on the amount of thrust used in power loading thats done there and how often.

For now its one of those things thats up to the operators to police themselves.

Wow is that alot of posts for a topic that started 2 days ago. Personnally I am not a power loader, I can handle cranking up the 14' lund. At the same time if someone can do it without making alot of noise and commotion, I have no problem with it. There was one time though that I was fishing right by the landing and some overpaid jack*** in his $40K new bass boat was trying very unsuccessfully to powerload. On his third try after the first two loud and annoying attempts he smashed his prop and possibly his lower unit off the concrete. I can honestly say I laughed and didn't feel sorry for that guy at all.

Why do you consider him overpaid for having a 40k Bass boat? Maybe he is the brain surgeon referenced in one of the previous posts. grin.gif

Quote:

If you are the guy just idling up your trailer, with a little juice to snug it up the last few inches - fine, no big deal.

This is what I do most often... usually coast in on the boat's momentum coming onto the trailer, a quick pop into gear and I run the boat up to about 1-2 feet of the winch stand.

There are some people that open their motor all the way up and load their boat that way... but the vast majority of people that I see are doing something similar to me.

Now, on a particular small lake in central MN there is a powerboat racer who uses the landing to break in his motors (no throttle to wide open, while in gear, then back down again... repeat)... there is one massive hole at the end of that landing... there have been quite a few twisted pontoon trailer axles attributed to that...

marine_man