• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Trail cam pics 2006

Mark Christianson

Starting to get some good pics. Lets see some.

fernhollow20061medium3cn.jpg

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Christianson

• Woodsy

• Gissert

• BLACKJACK

That one has some potential... hopefully he sticks around.

Cool!! just put mine out last weekend. hope to get some as nice as that.

joe

Hey Stratos

If the turnips dont keep him around, maybe the corn or the soybeans or the winter rye or the clover or the rapeseed or the..........

You get the idea. The plots are absolutely OUTSTANDING this year.

If anyone has any pics they want to post, but don't know how, ship em over to me and I will post them for you.

[email protected]

Another cool one.

dadsstandarea2medium2hv.jpg

I have a lot more, and summer has hardly started. These trail cams are unbelieveably fun if you have not tried one.

Digital or 35mm. Start with one in your price range and enjoy!

Nice! That last one looks like he's smokin a heater. Looks like you should be dialed in come huntin' season. Hopefully you can get those same bucks more as the summer progresses, it would be neat to watch the antler growth.

I gaurantee you I will have progress reports on these and all the other deer running around.

Tons of fun.

Have you guys been using your trail cams for a few years now? I am wondering if they get used to the flash or after a while will they try to avoid it? I know you can buy more expensive cameras that use a infrared flash or something but I would rather have a nice color picture to look at.

Thanks

Sutty

Hey BLB - It looks like Big Six still walks, eh?

Sutty - The flash does not seem to bug them at all. I have had numerous pics after dark this year where it kept flashing away, and they kept feeding on the clover or working the mineral lick. I had it over a feed station after season last year and a friends place. I was getting 300 to 500 sanps a week, all after dark.

Look at it this way.

I am snapping pics of fawns that are days old. They are going to grow up thinking its just a part of life.

Heck, they might get so used to it, they will start posing for the cams. grin.gif

I am not the least bit worried about flashes or noises. There is plenty of things going crash and boom all the time. Farmers out doing work, cars on roads, people on ATV's, etc... You name it, there is plenty of things going on that I just don't think the deer really care that much in our area.

Now if you are talking up in some extremely remote area that sees little human activity, then there might be something to consider.

Hey Giss

I was wondering the same thing..........

Hey BLB I just got a Cuddeback a few weeks ago, when I get back from this weekend I will send you some pics to post. I have been feeding them at feeders to check out the number and quality of deer we have, do you do this or do you just set it up on trails.

To those worried about the sound and flash, no the deer do not seem to mind the flash at all, matter of fact they seem to almost pose for it. As far as sound goes the Cuddeback is totally silient to me, the deer might be able to detect something but nothing alarming.

Fun stuff... grin.gif

Hey Mark!!! Just wanted to say hi. Pretty cool pictures there boss. I think I'm going to be in the market for a camera and going to have to give this a try. How often do you get a chance to check your cameras?? X CNT BOY

Mark, I like your theory about fawns growing up and getting used to the flash but I'm not totally sold on deer not avoiding flashes and cameras. What about yearling buck dispersal? According to my Deer and Deer hunting mag, some yearlings disperse up to 20 miles. Also, the two biggest bucks that I've caught on my cameras were only caught on camera once or twice. Just passing through? Who knows! Thats what makes deer hunting fun, trying to figure out where they will be at a certain time! I'll continue to use my cameras but I certainly wouldn't mount one on my deer stand.

By the way, I highly recommend Deer and Deer Hunting magazine. It gets more into deer biology and is a good read.

It was more of a joke about the fawns growing up and getting used to them.

I completely agree. Lots of deer movement, especially in fall. The past 2 years the week prior to rifle season, I have had 10+ different bucks on film. All summer and through early fall, I have watched a few bucks and gotten to "know" them. The rut kicks in and everything changes.

But I still believe that there is enough human activity pretty much year 'round in our area, that a simple flash from a camera isnt going to spook a deer to exit the county.

I honestly think they think of the flash is the only natural thing it could be... Lightning, with no loud noise or rain they know they have nothing to worry about.

joe

I am starting to get some more activity going.

This guy looks like he has potential. He appears to be a six pointer, and the spread is looking nice so far.

buck0618062.jpg

I want this guy to turn around! Looks respectable. Hopefully he will reveal himself more next week.

turnaround2.jpg

This girl still looks pregnant.

stillpreggers2062206.jpg

I don't believe the deer mind the flash/sound at all. I've had many sequential pictures taken of deer within 10 feet of the camera. My timer is set at 1 minute and I must have had 5-6 shots of three deer feeding right in front of the camera. They were night shots too, so the flash defintely would have been seen. In one of the shots, the deer (6 pt buck) actually had is face right in the camera. He must have been smelling the camera or licking it. Either way, they stayed around for several shots/poses. smile.gif

Here's a few more I have. I am hoping to get more of fawns soon as the does that were pregnant no longer have such fat bellies.

The first shows an unexpected dinner guest. Have more like this but they are in the middle of the night and grainy. One looks like they are about to go at it.

deerspring374.jpg

Nice doe walking through. Camera is crooked cause they've nudged it several times in the pictures before. Big noses and ears in the frame. : )

deerspring442.jpg

This final one shows a young stud on the prowl. Looks like he's strutting around.

deerspring425.jpg

looks like the bottom buck is watching a car going by on the road ??

Got a pic of mom and fawns last week. Mom is enjoying the BLB mineral special recipie.

momandfawns2062606.jpg

Starting to get some Pics:

buck1bsmaller8qe.jpg

And another:

twobuckssmaller2iu.jpg

And one more of the maintenance man -me - mowing:

tractorsmaller0sd.jpg

Is that a tresspasser Blackjack?? wink.gif

Nice pics.

I cant wait. Going up Friday to retrieve cards from 4 cameras. Sure hope they are all working good, and snapping away. Its been 3 weeks since last checking on them. Or is it 2 weeks? Cripes, dont matter. I am excited to see how the Cudde is performing in comparison to the Leaf Rivers.

These guys could be brothers? I have more if you guys want to see them. These deer are on their second 50 lb salt block so far this season and almost have a Deer Cain block gone also. The Deer Cain block is a little bigger than a cinder block so not too big.

Cdy_0011.jpg

You gotta resize the pics to 800x600.

Like this.

cdy0011medium7wn.jpg

BLB are the first two pics ok or should I resize them also? I am only given a few choices in photobucket to resize them and some seem to small. I will try to resize them in photopaint first then upload them.