• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I hit up Ryan's Bay again today on the Zumbro. Dealing with the rotten stench from down there was well worth it in the end. I fished from about 7-9 tonight and in the end I had 4 crappies, 6 smallmouths, 2 largemouths, and what i want to say was an orangespotted sunfish.

Quote:

what i want to say was an orangespotted sunfish.

pumpkinseed

There are pumpkinseeds, green sunfish, and hybrids. Chances are it was a pumpkinseed or hybrid. How big was it? The current state record hybrid is 11.5” from Lake Zumbro… Wouldn’t that be something…

hey hanson what were you catching all those bass on???? a night like that and you should/could win the Lake zumbro tuesday night bass fishing tourney. WOW that is pretty decent evening for the zum.

The crappies were biting pretty well out there last weekend. Majority were caught very close to shore.

Crappies are biting very well out there right now. My girlfriend and I were out there last night for a few hours and caught 30-40 of them along with a few bass. We found a school of crappies and worked a 10 yard piece of shoreline for about 45 minutes. They all went back for another day.

F.F.

what tecnique you using? minnows or artificials?

Everything listed has just been caught on a minnow under a float. I was thinking pumpkinseed but this sunfish was alot different from what I'm used to and I'm about 95% sure it wasn't. A hybrid is a possibility it ran about 6-7 inches.

There are some very odd looking sunfish in Lake Zumbro and those ones tend to be rather small. They kind of look like a rock bass/sunfish hybrid, but I've never seen a rock bass in there.

I caught a rock bass from the zumbro last year. They look normal with the red eyes.

We have had the best luck with wax worms. We did try minnows with limited success. I caught a rock bass yesterday and it looked like a regular rock bass.

Bubba now that you say that it pretty much hit the nail on the head. The fish did look alot like a rock bass but I know that it wasn't so possibly a rock bass pumpkinseed hybrid???

I would be willing to bet that if you look up a "warmouth" sunfish that you might find a picture of the fish that you caught. I've caught a number of them out of lake zumbro.

Yep, warmouths are common in the area. Foster has a pile of them as well.

I was also thinking warmouth but the orange spots threw me off.

I caught an interesting colored sunfish the other week out thre as well. I took a photo of it, but I'm having computer issues when at home. I will post it when that gets taken care of.

Andy

Well crick it looks like you win. After seeing pictures of the warmouth thats exactly what it was.

Sure looks like one to me Andy. I think you've got a BINGO

That picture is the same fish I was talking about. Glad I know what a warmouth looks like now. blush.gif Do you ever catch any larger than 4" in Lake Zumbro?

5-7" fish come once in a while, but that's as big as I've seen in the Zumbro.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.