• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bison --

You hit Pelican at night? Surely not till July? The mansion can be good then, but I see the eyes turn off after dark during the spring.

Fished your ice spot -- did ok.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• Bison9

• zelek

• Code-Man

I just got back from up north.........I got the motor running decent and even caught some fish.....we hit the crappies sunday and again monday morning....last night and this morning went after some eyes......we caught 16 between the 2 of us and everyone of them were over the slot....was fun catiching em but it would have been nice to get a meal....sounds like all of you had a good time also....

Scott,

I've been having trouble getting trout in the streams; no significant hacthes yet to be successful on dries. maybe pannies may be the way to go for now... I'll be out of town on the job now for most of the summer starting next week. Friday-Sunday will be my free days for fishing.

Went back to Star last night after work. Took one of the guys from work with me. We caught seven walleyes. Deepest fish came from 30 feet of water. Moved up to 22 around sunset. First few fish came on bottom bouncer and crawlers, then changed to lindy/ minnows when we moved up shallow. Wind layed down and turned out to be an awesome night. Lost a bearing buddy and the bearings from my trailer on the way home. That could have been really bad.

If Donny hadn't come with, I'd probably have struggled getting it fixed. We got everything put back together with a tire iron and a rock.

If I had'nt forgotten lights for the boat, we'd probably have fished past dark and been later than the service stations in Vegas would have been open.

If I'd have been alone, I would have had the radio blasting and not heard the strange noises coming from the trailer.

Sometimes you really can feel good after something bad happens.

Quote:

but I see the eyes turn off after dark during the spring.

HM

Where did you hear this?? Not that I will argue with you as I've never tried it on Pelican since getting a clue how it's done. LOL!! But...part of me wants to give it a whirl now and see for myself. I think I know just the spot as soon as this wind turns around. I'll give you a report if I make it out there soon.

Zelek -- When the wind turns around, you stay away from my spot. wink.gif

I guess I had always heard that the bite dies on Pelican as the night goes on. Maybe we can't find them at night.

I know as summer progresses they can be found all night in the sandy shallows. I don't think the night bite is as good on Pelican as it is on Big C.

My history with the evening bite at Pelican is simply this - as the sun hits the trees you have a half an hour or so of a great bite (this goes for any time of year). In my opinion Big C is just too darned clear to fish effectively during the day. "Sometimes" you can have a great day during the mid-day on Big C but but more often than not it is usually a early A.M. or early evening into darkness bite, but Big C. has some great breaks which are devoid of weeds to pull raps on, unlike Pelican.

Hitman, I only started fishing Pelican at night last year in the Fall. I fished it at night in October and November of last year in my ice spot (I actually found that ice spot fishing there in the Fall). I don't know, the reason why I tried it is that one of my old aquaintences swore by the lake at night "jig and minnow in the weeds - you can't miss." He would always talk about the bite at night in Pelican being good right now though instead of in the Fall when I tried it... My 2 cents anyways...

I totally agree with the water being too clear thing - I have never fished Big C, but I totally feel that way about Pelican. I have never even gotten a bite during the day at Pelican, too clear I think. I won't even touch that lake until sun down and later. In fact, we would go out to Pelican by sun down and stay till midnight a lot. It was always pretty good then...

Bison --

You need to fish with me. Pelican is the one lake in which I have caught fish during the day. EVERY time.

I think it is one of the best day lakes in the area. That or I am very lucky. grin.gifwink.gifcool.gif

yeah, that's what I've heard - plus, I am a MN lakes newbie. I was always just bypassing all of the MN lakes and going straight to the ol' Big Water, Devils Lake... But, I started finding out that I was bypassing some good water and it was a lot cheaper to stay close and fish in MN.

Maybe shoot me an e-mail sometime [email protected]

No lake is too clear for a day bite as long as there is a little walleye chop.........when the water is like glass it's tough.....

You need to think like a walleye. Pelican is similar to lots of area lakes. You will find two predominant patterns on it during the day and night.

1. Suspended deep water fish. These fish are feeding on Tullibee and cisco. Open water trolling and casting can be effective at times. Especially early June.

2. Shallow! These fish hunker down in the weeds. Generally on Pelican you will find these fish relating to the broad leaf variety weeds, as these provide more shade, cooler water and are typically closer to near by deep water. Both of these patters are feeding patterns. These fish are there to eat. The weed pattern can be difficult to fish because of hang ups and because of all the tasty little sunfish, perch, crappie, walleye fry ect. that is swimming around.

Big Pine, Otter Tail, Big Detroit, Melissa, Sallie, Cotton, ect. ect. ect. all follow a very similar walleye pattern.

Some of these are clear, some aren't at times, but the walleye pattern themselves less on clarity, and more on temp and food source.

Hammered --

You are pretty smart for a Brett Favre fan. crazy.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Yeah -- I think the weed lines are a good spot. I just never seem to make it over to one. I hit my "spots" first then I never leave.

That lake is good everywhere.

I really got into this pattern a few years ago on my parents lake in Alexandria fishing bass. Fish a weedless jig and a plastic crawler and pitch it into the open pockets. Many you will be surprised what you pull out!!

I haven't fished that pattern more than once or twice on Big C. but shallow cranks over the tops of the weeds can be effective too.

Hitman, Brett Farve says you should go fish Lake Audubon. He has heard there are some big fish in there!!!!

Hammered --

tongue.gif

I won't take Favre there, but I will take his wife. wink.gifcool.gif

I have fished Pelican a lot in the last few years simply due to the fact that at night Most people go to bed and turn off those darn jetskis (waterized rice burners) and cuddle up with a bowl of popcorn. I went to Pelican on Opener at Midnight. Did awesome inspite of some horribble weather. One week later still did awesome untill I got tired of the mosquitos and had enough fish to clean in the middle of the night. I have only had limited luck during the day. with a few exceptions

Sorry it took so long to respond Hit. 4-6 fow on the jig/shiner, and we were anchored on the edge of a creek chanel flowing into the lake.

I know/fish with the guy that someone posted about catching all the fish on Melissa on opener. Wasn't doing anything special, just a jig and spot tail shiner. He was anchored in about 10 fow but could cast to 16-18 fow and 3-4 fow. Started deeper and threw shallower as it got later. BTW, the crappies are on fire right now, they are just gettin ready to, or have just dropped their eggs so thier in shallow.

Been real busy at work, thus limited posting over the last couple weeks, sorry to all.

Please check out my thread on my lost rod, I need help finding it.

Made it out in the Perham area this weekend.

We fought the blast furnace and hit Star lake. I was dissapointed. It was a little on the slow side. We only boated two walleyes. The west arm had both of them.

We thought we had a couple on in other areas, but lost them. Most people said the same. Slow.

We also hit Big Pine on Sunday am. SLOW. We caught three little ones. All about 11 inches.

Anyone else get any this weekend?

HM, I snuck up to Upper Red last wed. Had an outstanding day! fished in 3-6' all the eyes you could handle, 3 of us, 120 eyes, and they were almost all in the slot, about a dozen were keepable. also caught 1 crappie and 1 snake, and oh yea, +/-50 sheephead.

braved the wind on big c sat/sun. some crappies were willin!

hit, you ever fished Rice Lake before?

Code-Man

Minnow-man --

Nice job. I have been thinking about sneeaking up there. What was the boat traffic like? Where did you park? When did they bite?

DETAILS, man. grin.gif

Code --

I have fished Rice Lake. Many, many times.

It is a strange lake. I will never forget filling out on excellent 'eyes in 8 feet of water along the weed edge in 90 degree heat, at noon with NO wind.

They should not have been hungry, but they were.

Have caught some nice crappies there as well after we talked to an old dude that fished with his dog. He was missing the arm, but I don't thin the dog took it. That was about six years ago.

Nice sunnies and northerns for sure.

Why do you ask?

Do you know that Rice is actually just a wide river opening?

never fished the lake but know you have to hit it before the weeds get to thick...was just wondering.

The weeds can be terrible. You have to hit it early.

I would hit Jim Lake instead.

boat traffic? went out of Rogers, got there bout 8, first ones using the access there that day, fishin by 8:30, first fish at 8:31 and they went all day till we wanted to quit. there was 4 other trucks in the lot when we got in at 6:00 pm. we figgered a fish every 4 min. and then sheephead mixed in to that. never had a sore arm from fishin before grin.gif

Id gladdly join ya on a split a trip if ya want some company.. wink.gif

Minnow-man --

Let's do it. When can you get away? I thought you would be pounding nails?