• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Goose hunting 10 vs 12 gauge

Tealitup, I know you are a die hard waterfowler, just like myself

Passion for our sport almost alway ineviitably leads to heated debate and sometimes personal attacks.

I see it more than ever in Waterfowling, than any other outdoor sport..

Waterfowling is a sport that demands much room between those who choose to enter the marshes on any given day.

I see no stoppage of the bickering here or anywhere else when it comes to duck/goose hunting.

We lose hunting ground each and everyday in this ever populating country. which will only lead more and more of the same.

I respect your opinion and I too don't like others SKY BUSTING my birds.

Do you see any real answer to the problem, especially with the ever growing population/shrinking lands?

I would love it if the DNR would lease land for public hunting; would open alot of land and give people more of an opportunity to hunt.

Oh, by the way I was out turkey hunting today - and wow did I find a honey hole of a duck pond about a mile into the woods. Ducks were every where! I had to sit and watch. Filled with mallards, teal, geese and woodies.

Tell you what... when the season comes I'll take you out there.

Well I gotta add my 2 cents. I own both a 10 gauge and a 12 gauge. It really depends on what /where I am hunting for the gun the I am going to use. If I expect more geese than I will use my 10g, if more ducks than my 12g. I think though I could get away with using just a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 inch shells. Onto skybusting etc. It is true that duck hunting brings out the worst in some and the best in others. The question becomes what are we doing or what can we do to change the behaviors.

I have found that there are not as many sky busters out there as we all think. From across the lake when you hear a shot and look that way and the ducks and or geese are way up there, it took some time for that sound to travel far enuff for you to hear it and when you look those ducks have probably traveled at least 20 yards or better. Next time you are out if you see ducks flare that is when the shots were fired, then look at their position when you hear the shot. I am not saying that there is none happening but I think that it may be over played a bit. I have been known to take a long shot, some I hit some I dont. I, like many other waterfowl hunters, do much better on clay birds than them dang ducks! Just another bit of my two cents worth. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

10 gauge. I can crush geese with mine. Early season over dekes I use the 12 and my kid kills with a 20 but after the cold sets in I love that 10!

"Tell you what... when the season comes I'll take you out there."

Holy Shmoly, someone would invite me on a hunt?

Now thats a change, I always do the inviting, driving, scouting, cooking, cleaning birds, stay at my house/camper/cabin.

tealitup, Now that would be a new concept

Thanks for the invite, I won't hold it to you. If it works out, well put a hurtin on them.

The invite stands its in the sand dunes state forest about a mile into the woods. OrionsXo on FM shot one heck of a Tom close bye. He will post the story on here soon.

Opening weekend should be great- I also have a spot in the Ham Lake area that you can come to. It is a killer at the end of the year. On a half farm - hobby farm. A little couple pot holes had over 85 geese shot out of it. Not all by me; and alot of mallards.

Mallards? Mallards?

Well that sucks? LOL

Greenheads are the love of my life!

We mostly jump shoot here. Too many places for the birds to sit and not enough people at times to get them up and moving.

and where there's people, there's lots of people.

I like to hunt where there is no people, nobody to wreck your day.

We will keep in touch.

I want to head to the far northwestern part of the state for a # of days this year, There's got to be a some kick butt places up there with little to no people.

take Care, Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Snifed me out a duck hunting debate...I currently have a browning gold 3.5"...I'm gonna use it this year then decide if I need to up my arsenal to a 10 ga.

Mallards? who said Mallards? I will drive further for a good green head hunt than I would for honkers.

I also hava a 12 Gauge 3 1/2 11-87 and a 10 Gauge BPS. The 10 gauge is deadly with BBB and a full choke. The 10 gauge is a much better gun for geese then the 3 1/2 You have extra range and more pellets. The weight of the 10 gauge is a minus, but when you shoot a 10 gauge you'll be glad its there.

Wow! You have really started something here! Just wanted to give you some advice from a former Guide and novice goose hunter. I have never shot anything but a 3" 12. And my experience of over 17 years of hunting geese will tell you that is all you need. You might want to book a hunt with a good quality guide and see how they set decoys and call. It is important in this day and age of goose hunting that you first of all become as educated as you can on the sport and make your decisions from there. Hit up the Game Fair in August and talk to some of the experts, take in some seminars, book a hunt and go from there. I am not a believer either in skybusting, but I know people that do it, there is just more of a chance that you will wound a bird and not make a clean kill and yes, you will educate those birds in a hurry. But if you put your ducks in a row and do your homework you will be able to bring those birds in close and make good clean kills and have a very enjoyable hunt. Another piece of advice for late season birds, use smaller shot size like #2's or #4's I have found that they penetrate the thick layer of down tremendously( when the birds are brought into 40 yrds or less).