• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coon rapids dam

thanks. i was out there with a friend 2 weeks ago using nightcrawlers and jigs. got some sheephead and a small walleye.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reinhard1

• e1teen93

• slipperybob

• mrklean

• 9 months later...

Hey anybody have tips for me fishin at the dam? i just started and can't seem to have any luck. Last time i tried casting some spinner baits, and mepps, but dint have any luck, then i tried some corn and just let it sit on the bottom, and dint get any luck w/ cats or carp. Any tips on where to fish on the dam, or what to use would be great. thanx!

seems like you'r using some of the right baits. a simple answer would be just to watch the other people and see what they are doing. i go there just to relax at times. corn on the bottom or off with a bobber should work for carp. actualy by the dam at the boat landing is a good spot for carp to use those methods. and below the dams near calmer water. for channel cats fish the east part of the dam. chicken livers,nightcrawlers, or minnows off the bottom with lindy rigs work. there are crappies at that location also. bobber with minnows. if you have a trout stamp you can fish cenaiko. no live bait allowed. lindy rig with nightcrawlers. try the area by lock park. good place for walley and smallies. good luck.

There's still fish below the Coon Rapids Dam? Every time I've been by there, its litterally elbow to elbow combat fishing for the entire length of the acess on both sides. I think I'd rather fish somewhere my line wasn't crossed over by five other lines the second it hit the water XD

it is true what you say at times. i dont go there on a regular basis. when i do it is on weekdays. not everyone can do that. however there a still plenty of fish there. carp and catfish seems to be the most popular. for some reason above the dam on the boat landing side seems to be less popular but has areas you can fish. also the east side where the flow is less there is a cement ramp you can fish off of. there on that side including the above mentioned northerns and crappies along with smallies can be caught. and there is cenaiko that has trout in it [requires trout stamp/no live bait]which you might have better results in may-june,and then again in the fall. crowds attract crowds. there is also a strip of land between the two dams you can take a hike on with areas to fish off shore. good luck.

K that sounds good, if you were to choose one spot on the dam to fish for smallies where would you fish? I haven't caught many smallies before and it would be cool to catch a few, also when u catch carp, what do you use? because i went there last night and fished right off the dam by the parking lot of the visitor center and just caught a bunch of sheephead, using worms and a bobber.

above the dam there is a peninsula [strip of land] watch the goose [PoorWordUsage]. facing upstream the left side is good for smallies. cranks and spinners work if you want a chance to possibly loose one, just casting out and reeling in. i would use a slip bobber with minnows or leaches. as long as you got crawlers bring them. for carp on that spot i would use corn [canned and bunched up on a long shank hook]. carp would be better caught the side of the strip the boat landing is on. for smallies i would hike on the strip of land bellow the dam that splits the two dams apart. same techniques as above. carp are everywhere but i would fish on the left side of the strip facing downstream. plenty of shore spots. if you know where the lock park is located that is also a good spot for smallmouth and walleye. and with the lower water level you might be able to cover more area. sheephead are fun when everything else shuts down. good luck.

ok all that stuff sounds good i went out again today from about 11-4 and caught a sheephead, and a 20" cat, all caught on a bobber and worm on the tiny little peninsula below the smaller dam north of the island that separates the two dams. Ya and i tried by the boat launch w/ absolutely no luck. and when u fish w/ the corn for carp, do u just put it on a hook w/ a sinker above it and let it sit on the bottom? also has anyone been fishin at the dam lately? if so let me know what you've caught. also where is lock park? and ya sheephead arent bad to catch either.

also one more thing, i saw that it says u live in andover, where do u think is a good shore fishing place in the metro area? i dont have a boat anymore cuz we had to sell it and would still like to catch some nice fish, any ideas would be great, thanx!

lock park is located off east river rd. look at a map and you can see lock lake-it'accross the street from there. public fishing piers are all over the metro. you can get a map from the dnr. where these are located. my wife and took the grand kids to the park on lindstrom lake. off hwy 8 in the city of lindstrom. turn right by the dinner bell resturant. fish to the right of the beach. great for panfish. bobber with a chunk of nightcrawler is good. i used a flu-flu with a piece of a leach. there are some nice sunnies there for the table. also bass and toward evening walleys. i cast out to the main lake. take your shorts along and walk out a ways if you need distance for your cast. good luck.

ok maybe i'll have to check out that lake, do u mean north or south lindstrom lake? Also do you know any good spots to catch some nice northern in the metro area? i live in coon rapids and would like to catch some northerns. Thanx

south lindstrom. take a right by the dinnerbell resturant. since you are fishing from shore i would try peltier near centerville. you can fish off the public pier. right now its too weedy, but in the fall bobber and sucker should do it, for northerns. there are northerns below the cr dam in the quiet sections. good luck.

ok have you ever fished above the dam by peltier lake? I think i went there a few years ago and caught a bunch of pike, the area between the main st bridge and the dam.

other than the fishing pier my time was spent in my boat in peltier. between the street bridge and the dam gets pretty good use. i have caught bass near the bridge just putsin around. i have always wanted to take a canoe west of the bridge. never fished there but i got to believe there are bass and pike in there. but below the spill dam i have seen people catch crappie,sunnie,and bullheads. good luck.

alright thanx, have you ever pike fished at the cr dam? im thinkin about goin out there tonight and was wondering where to fish, and what you usually use to catch em, live bait? or artificials?

ok well i was just thinkin more strictly for some pike, where do you usually fish? cuz i've heard their are some pretty nice pike there, and i havent had any luck going after them, the only thing i've been able to catch are rough fish. Any help would be great thanx.

you just gotta go out there and try it find the stuff that works and doesnt. I can tell you no one is gonna give out there honey hole and what is working just get out there and fish and get away from the people.

maby if you stop asking the same questions time after time and good guys out here try to help you maby they would stop thinking you are playing a game.

Oh sorry, im not trying to be annoying or anything, its just that i am trying to get some info on how to be a little more successful at the dam, I havent been havin any luck there when i've been fishin, when targeting smallies or pike. sorry if i've been annoying at all.

please look at all previouse posts including mine. all have been helpfull. after all the information and daily reports you still ask the same questions over and over. its not annoying, its playing a game. we are here to help when we can. good luck.

alright ya idk i'm not tryin to play a game or anything, i'm just tryin to figure out what im doin wrong cuz im just confused why im not catchin anything, i have been doin all this stuff, anyway hopefully i'll be able to catch some nice fish at the dam soon. And good luck to u all!

always try different spots, if something isnt work its not working for a reason so change it up what works for a guy one day might not work at all the next. The river is a tough place to fish water levels change all the time and that area gets fished hard all the time. Just gotta figure out what works for you, the only thing i fish with on the river is a jig and twister tail but thats just me

oh ya i used that today and actually caught a few smallies! anyway, what color of twister tail do u prefer? and do u use the grub kind, or worm? jw cuz i have both? ya i tried the big side, and the small side, no luck on the small side, which side do u prefer?

• 2 months later...

Hey anyone fish the cr dam lately? i was thinkin about goin out there tonight, and was wondering if the fishing is picking up.

• 2 weeks later...

I've given CRD 4 tries this year.. each one just as bad as the last. I still haven't landed a fish there this year.

I don't know what's wrong, but randomness is supposed to be streaky I guess so it may just be bad luck.

Last year I was all over the suckers/redhorse/carp, but not so much this year.

I've been down there a half dozen times this summer and its been roughly the same story ever time, lots of random fish. I've caught lots of sheephead, some carp, suckers, smallies, catfish. Unlike last spring I never really found the crappies this year or the walleys. I havent been down there lately because I've been busy with other things but usually you can pick up a few walleyes in the fall and theres a some dandy's around. I can imagine that the water is starting to come down now but some of the spots I like to wade out to have not been accesible this summer because the water was so high.