• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

E-collar (Dogtra 2000 T&B) or (Tritronics Sport 65 BPR G2 )

rundrave

Looking into getting a collar for my GSP, getting to that point in training where I am ready to start using the collar.

I have done tons a research but have a few questions that I wanted to get some different peoples opinions on.

As mentioned in the title I debating between the Dogtra 2000 T&B or the Tritronics Sport 65 BPR G2.

They have alot of the same features but a some differances also.

Dogtra:

- fully waterproof, low- to high power e-collar with beeper/locator

-Features run/point, point only, and locate beeper modes

-1-mile range on the training collar and a quarter-mile range on the beeper

-nick and constant stimulation,

-long-lasting rechargeable Ni-MH batteries

Tritronics:

-6 levels (1/2 - 5) of both momentary and continuous stimulation

-Activate the Beeper from 1/2 mile away

-Waterproof collar and transmitter

-Receiver is lighter and 1/3 smaller than previous model

-Battery life indicator, tells the amount of charge remaining

-Quick Charge – fully charge receiver in two hours

-NiMH rechargeable battery in collar, 9-volt replaceable battery in transmitter

-1/2-mile range

-Range/Point and Point-only modes

-Beeper on/off, and the locate feature are all operated remotely from your transmitter

-Four run tones: single, double, and triple beep; also tracking tone

-Two point tones: single tone and hawk scream

Those are the features. Could anyone elaborate on how well the hawk scream works, with a dog on point. I have been told that it works well with chuckar, grouse, quail etc, but not very well on pheasants, and pheasants is pretty much all I ever hunt.

thanks in advance for any info

I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. Both are top brands and produce quality products. Go to a store and look at both up close and get the one you like the best.

Tri-Tronics would be my choice based on product quality and consumer support. Great products and friendly helpful people a phone call away.

I just picked up the Dogtra unit that you are looking at. They both have a good reputation and I don't think you could go wrong with either unit.

I have a Tritronics collar and when it works it works great. However it has been back to Tritronics twice in six years because I couldn't turn it on. They sent new units back both times. I am getting a second do in a couple weeks and with be looking to other brands when I buy another collar. I have a couple guys that I hunt with that have also had issues with their Tritronics gear. Maybe it has gotten better over the last few years. However my experiences will make me look at other manufacturers.

Hey guys thanks alot for all the info. Right now I am really leaning towards the dogtra, not sure why but alot of others in our NAVHDA group recomended that, and alot of them have that same model.

But how much of an advantage is this 'hawk scream' that the TriTronics has. I could really go either way on both of these models, but this feature really stands out as something to offer that the other doesnt.

Have any of you seen or heard of these first hand? There doesnt seem to be alot of info on the web, but from what I have found, some people say it works, others say it doesnt. Some have said that the hawk scream gets really annoying after a while, some said they dont seem to mind. Some say it works on all birds, some say it doesnt help hold a pheasant. If thats the case its not going to be much of an advantage for me, because I really only hunt pheasant.

Again thanks for the help.

I want something with a hawk scream simply because I have invisible fencing that beeps when he gets close to the boarder. I worked with my dog having a beeper collar on and the beep freaks him out. I probably gave up too quickly, but I did not need it messing him up. I figure the hawk scream with impact him less than a beeper collar.

I have a TriTronics Sport 50 and have been happy. However I wish I would have purchased the Sport 65 with beeper.

Hawk scream is overrated IMHO. If you like the sound of it or need a different sound due to having an Invisible Fence that's fine. But don't expect it to hold or freeze birds.

I didn't think about that. I have to get an inviable fence in the next few weeks and I also need to get an e-color. I was hoping to use the beeping on the e-collar, but I forgot that will be used with the invisible fence.

Any thoughts how to work this since I have nto begun training for either yet?

I have an Innotek Command Series, 16000TT which has a hawk scream- way overrated, it doesn't prevent pheasants from running. For those keeping score, I've had the Innotek about 2 years and have gone through 3 collars and 1 transmitter. No way will I buy another Innotek. I was suckered into buying this one when the other Innotek collar I had didn't work.

I don't have the same collar as what you're looking at, but have had a Dogtra 1200 NC now for about a year and use it just about every day and have not had a single problem with it. Customer Service for a belt clip that broke (minor) was great... they had a new one out to me in 2 days for free, no questions asked.

marine_man

311Hemi

I can't say that I gave the beeper collar that much time for him to adjust. The few times I tried it on him, he reacted in an unfavorable fashion. It may be that I did not give it enough of a chance. Being 10 months old and going into his first hunting season, I did not want to risk an outside distraction messing up his pointing instinct. I may have given up too early.

A good way to break in a young dog to the beep without breaking the dog, is to select a collar with low volumb or pleasant tone and have it on during your yard work just having fun. One thing to consider is have you had a bark collar on the dog for any time at all? this can hinder the beep collar expirience for some time. Dont give up so soon. but go slow and make sure he is having fun when ever the collar is on. Fun yard work makes for good training sessions. smile.gif

I have only had a bark collar on him a few times, but that is true it could have had an impact. The bark collar acted too sporadic and I have not used it since. He would bump against something and it would trigger. That is what I get for trying to go cheap.

I just received an extra collar in the mail for my Innotek overpriced piece of junk since we have a second dog now. Guess what- the collar won't program. I purchased the collar through Lion Country and called them about a refund. No problem with the refund, and the customer service rep told me they have received many calls on the Innotek products, none of them good. Anyway, I'm returning the collar. Mrs. Springerguy has told me we need to purchase a different product since she cannot tolerate another meltdown over that worthless collar. The CSR I talked with said they receive very few calls on either Dogtra or Tritronics.

well I talked to some others, and I am going with the Dogtra. I found out the the Dogtra is digital, tritronics is analog.

I like my dog too much, and that was the final selling point, with digital I am always in control, with analog something else could possibly set it off.

Again thanks for all the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also in the market for a E- collar and am currently working with a dog trainer and he was telling me that Dogtra is a spin off of tri-tronics (3 guys left tri-tronics & started dogtra). My dog trainer has tried both the tritronics & dogtra collars on my pup and he has recomended the dogtra. Mainly because my shorthair will respond to the vibration mode the dogtra collar has, I thought this was a pretty neat feature they have. I would say that if you have the option of having your dog tested with a couple different collars is really helpfull. ricbak

• 2 months later...

Rundrave,

I know this is an old post but I am going through the same decision you had to go through and I was wondering what how your collar worked out and if you had any problems? I also wanted to to find out more about the digital and analog on the collars. Any info would be great, thank you.

no complaints at all with the dogtra. Couldnt be happier. I train usually once a week with our navhda group so its already been out in the field, in water etc and its held up fine.

That page feature and locator is awesome I love it.

For those of you with Dogtras....I've heard some complaints about the rheostat dial on the Dogtras - that it can get bumped easily and the intensity level may not be what it was last time you hit the button. My TT clicks into place on each level, and I've wondered if I would like the Dogtra better, but that thought makes me nervous, especially while out hunting.

Any feedback on the dial?

I've had my Dogtra collar now for about 2 years and haven't had any problems with the dial getting bumped, etc.

One thing that I've been using lately is a floating case with a belt clip (since the Dogtra belt clip leaves a little to be desired in my opinion) that looks like this:

gundog1903479585420nh.jpg

It fits the Dogra remote pretty well... the continuous button is a little low.. but all in all I've been very happy with it... I got it online, but have seen it at Gander Mountain.

marine_man

i havent had any issues either with the bumping of the dial. My dog responds to the collar at around 18(yeah he is a real wimp), but I have never had the dial turn on me.

Another feature of the dogtra and I am not sure on the others is that the constant shock can never last more than 10secs. I understand if it got bumped to a higher setting it would still really hurt the dog, but its comforting to know that it will stop after 10secs if I am not aware of him being shocked.

I wouldn't call your dog a wimp... that, or I've got a wimpy dog too... I'm usually right around 20... around 30 if I really need to make the point and 20 isn't cutting it...

marine_man

Thank you for the responces. I was leaning towards the tritronics because of the hawk scream and the click dial. But when I looked into it further I found out that you cant control the mode for the beeper with the remote on the tritronics, it has to be set inside the collar. On the dogtra you can change it from the remote and that was the final feature that changed my mind, I am glad to hear you are very happy with the collar. I am going to pick one up and I was wondering if anyone knows where the best deal would be. I am going to the game fair in Aug but I am not sure if I could get a better deal anywhere else.

I believe setterguy will offer some sort of discount on Dogtra products... you just need to get a hold of him... I belive he works in Irrigation and is probably pretty busy right now...

marine_man

Dogtra definitly. Dogtra have an infinite # of settings and are by far the most advanced collars on the market. I started with that same sport 65. biggest waste of money I have ever spent. It didn't work properly. I then bought a dogtra and love it and will only buy them from now on. After so working with many other dog handlers I have got a lot of people who agree with the dogtra line.

Yup I can get a pretty good discount on the dogtra products, as well as TT and offer my discount to all FM memnbers. As marineman said I am extremely busy right now but feel free to shoot me an email and I will see what I can do.

[email protected]

marine_man - I quickly went through Dogtra's website and didn't see the 1200NC on there. Does it have a dial like the picture in your post or one like the 2200NCP below? That's the unit I'm looking at, with the raised dial, etc.

d2200.jpg

Yes, it's got the same raised dial... the transmitter is almost exactly the same on the 1200NC, except for the page button on the side of it...

I see they don't offer the 1200 anymore... but it looks like the 1600NC is exactly the same... and maybe a touch cheaper...

marine_man

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna have to check them out more closely very soon.