• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thatching Lawn

hoggs222

Question

Does anybody out there know of this tool? My neighbor had a blade or some springs that attached to his blade on his mower that would thatch the lawn. You just run the mower over the lawn and then go over it again with a bagger to clean up.

10 answers to this question

To answer your question, there are machines designed to de-thatching and there are attachments made for riding mowers, but I've never heard of a part for a walk-behind. The idea is to scratch the top of the lawn to remove an excessive thatch layer.

Most people use it as a way doa sping raking on their yard and don't realize they are doing more harm than good. Here's what I wrote in a thread a couple days ago. http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=761869&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Ask at the hardware store or call someplace that specializes in lawn care equipment. Best bet would be to ask your neighbor. Otherwise, if you need it you can rent one or hire someone.

Last year I purchased a blade for my push mower that had the springs on it. I bought it from a ACE HARDWARE store. It was a universal blade with different bushings to fit about anything. I only paid $8.00 for it.

Jon

I've been using this "lawn mower blade dethatcher" for years. It rips up the lawn pretty good but in a couple of weeks it looks great. Now is the time to do it before too much new growth is up.

Home Depot has the thatching blades you are talking about. The main thing to using these is setting the height of the blade. Find a flat surface such as your garage floor and adjust the height so the blade just touches the ground. If you have not thatched in a couple years you are going to have a lot of yard waste when done. The results are well worth it. Remember to fertilize when done, and oh yah, when using the blade don't stop moving when the mower is running.

most rental centers have dethatching machines that you can rent. here is a few tips on them tho. run your bagger mower over the whole lawn first, to pick up any excess. and then empty the bag on the thatcher as often as possible. after that put down a good even pistribution of a QUALITY grass seed. now that you have scratched the surface up well with the machine the grass seed will take better. good luck and enjoy the green. ... paul

I hope EJ's not just pullin my leg tongue.gif

Pre-emergent fert for crabgrass prevention should be done by the end of the month. Lots of people do it too early cause they use it as their early-spring fertilization, but the pre-emergent chemical is only good for about 6 weeks. If you do it too early it will wear off before the end of the crabgrass germination period.

Also, DO Pre-emergent applications LAST of your spring lawn projects. Dethatching and aereating will disturb the chemical barrier in the soil (how it prevents crabgrass). Pre-em will also prevent most types of grass seed from growing. If you want to seed you'll have to wait till June once the pre-emergent has worn off and is no longer needed.

I hope if others have lawn or tree related questions I can help answer. DOn't ask me what to use for muskies or walleyes, but if you need to kill weeds or treat disease on a crabapple I can help. grin.gif

Powerstroke,

I'm not pulling your leg. I am in complete agreement with you. Too many people overdo it at this time of year. Last weekend while I was very lightly raking any matted grass up my neighbors were running all over their yards with dethatchers on riding mowers. They would come over and ask if I wanted to use their tractors and I would explain that they need to be more careful with their grass and thanks, but no thanks on the offer. I actually have one rake that I've removed the back bracing from, so it is real whippy and doesn't penetrate the surface. Thanks for the Pre-emergent tip. I have a few areas of vole damage that are going to require a bit of seed, I suppose I better get going and get that germinated before I need to put the crabgrass barrier on.

EJ

powerstroke,

i have a yard that was taken over by crabgrass after some construction work left the yard torn up. i have tried every type of crabgrass preventer, killer you name it. i'm to the point of actually considering tearing everything out and resodding.

any tips on what i can do short of a major project??

(its time to fish, not do sod work!!)