• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake

CommonSense Guy

Hit Prior yesterday. We were finding water up to 51 degrees in the bays. Contacted a few crappies. I heard some have been doing much better.

How was the boat launch on prior? I heard it was not in good shape yet.Were the crappies in shallow yet that you caught.

The NW launch seemed fine. They had the dock in. Not many crappies were shallow. I think they must be staging in deeper water. Give it a week.

thanks for the info.I'am going to be hitting spring on wed and maybe prior on thur depending on what we do at spring.

Fished Prior Mon night - No fish unless we were in dark bottom weedy areas that are surrounded by shallow water (The warmest water in the lake) Caught big bluegills and smaller crappies on waxies and ice jigs in these areas. 5 FOW.

I will be on Prior by 2pm. I will let you know how things are. Might still be a bit early but no worries. We will have plenty of sun and Coors lights. Have a good weekend to all.

Was out on Prior from 7am to 3pm today. Only 2 smallies and 2 crappies. All four fish were caught under docks with flew-flews and plastic (cut a Burkley worm in half). No takers with the crappie minnows. Fished mainly in the North-east corner of the lake.

Went over to muddy bay in the afternoon and had no luck. Did see quite a few Bass fishermen targeting bass ... didn't think they were is season yet. confused.gif

Went to prior on sat night, we caught 7 crappies between 3 people all in a bay right by paridise bay, it was really shallow and had lots of reeds. 2 of the crappies were really nice, the other were smaller. Does anyone know any hot spots to try this time of year on prior? i might be heading out saturday morning to give it another shot.

Hey BrowningBolt, my girlfriends parents live right by the small bay you are talking about, I have launched my boat from the private access there a couple times. Are they hitting crappie minnows in that bay? I saw three boats in there early Saturday evening when I drove by.

Hit Prior on Friday. Caught a lot of crappies, sunnies, and bass. All were small however. Still too early. I bet the larger fish will have found the shallows by this weekend. Found temps of 60 degrees.

Can anyone tell me if the boat launch on the south end of the lake if it's open. Two weeks ago I stopped by and there was a sign saying no launching of boats and the dock was out in the water.

Thanks for any info.

Any new reports? I am going to head down there after work today and I can't decide between Spring or Prior. Thanks guys.

I fished the public dock on sandy beach on lower prior for 1hr friday evening and 2 hours saturday afternoon, and caught nothing. I tried all bobber fishing, jigs with Gulp, a tiny rapla, and a beatle spin. I spoke with aguy who caught 5 there friday afternoon, he pulled in one today. When I left there were 5 people fishing on the doc. There were a ton of boats on the lake, but none that I saw caught anything. Still too cold.

I ended up going out Friday evening, my friend and I (mostly my friend) caught about 5 crappies, and maybe 10 sunnies. Nobody was out there, then I tried to go back Sunday around noon, there were probably 20 trucks waiting to launch at the north launch. Each one taking 5 times longer than they should on the ramp, but don't get me started on that.

Last week I was there waiting to put my boat in. Wainting too long I will add. Some guy who lived on the lake forgot how to launch a boat and dumped his fiberglass boat on the concrete 15 feet from the waters edge. After we helped him get it back on the trailer which was a nightmare, he almost did it again. Of course that was after it took him 5 minutes to get the trailer lined up. You do something like that on the opener and you are asking for trouble.

I was there too, put in at noon, took out at 4:30, so I was right in the middle of all that. The guy a couple boats in front of me was having trouble backing in his boat, just as I was walking over to offer my assistance, he finally got it lined up..but before he put it in the water, he got out..and started doing the things he should have while waiting in line..(straps, plug, cooler, bumpers etc). I mentioned nicely that he could do all of that while waiting in line to save time...No wonder I spend walleye opener on the canadian border and bass opener up in Brainerd.

Hey MuskieJunkie, thanks for all the props on catching the fish, too bad about the 2 big ones you lost(1 hook came out and 1 broke his line), but you could've had a really nice post of the fish you caught, instead you had to post about the fish I caught! Hopefully you will do better on our fishing trip!