• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A Motor winterizing question?

Pherris

Question

I paid a dealer to have my boat "winterized". I put the boat in the water today for the first time and the motor did fire right up but there was no white smoke that I have always had the last two years first time out. My motor is a merc opti 225 2 stroke. I asked my brother what he thought and he said that they way that motors are winterized now they do not smoke the first time out. Has anyone else heard of a winterizing process and fogging that would not produce the familiar white smoke? If the motor was not winterized what harm would be done if any? Thanks

3 answers to this question

Optimax are not winerized like standard motors, it's a different procedure.

If your motor starts and runs fine with no problem, I don't see why worrying about.

The purpose of winterizing is to prepare motor for a long time of inactivity, so when in spring you use your motor again you won't have any problem.

If you don't have any issue with it, don't worry and enjoy it, I love these Optis.... laugh.gif

Thanks Valv. Now I can worry about other stuff like finding fish tongue.gif

I agree with Valv, winterizing process is different for Optis. I had my boat winterized, the Opti didn't smoke at all when I started it this spring, but the 4-stroke kicker blew smoke and ran rough for 30 seconds or so while it burned off the fogging oil.