• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

jig size

Assuming for the sake of this discussion my rig is 8-pound proline on a spinning reel, and I'm fishing stained water for bass or walleye... what size jig would be best? Are there any rules for selecting jig size?

Usually, I would use the lightest possible jig yet still stay in contact with the bottom. So, you dont leave us enough information. However, the answer is still the same.. .Enough to stay in contact with the bottom. Some days if there is no wind at all and fishing shallow.. that may be 1/16 oz.. yet if there is wind and fishing 20 feet it may be 1/2 oz? You really need an assortment of many different colors and sizes.

Check out the pro series jig by Scenic tackle.. they are quite affordable and high quality!

I generally add an 1/8 for every 10ft of depth but like Dietz said wind, waves, current and line diameter can greatly affect that. The trick is to stay vertical with as light a jig as possible. Use the 1/8 rule as a start and then adjust. When fishing the river I'll have rods rigged with 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8oz to cover the different depths and currents.

All sound advice. If you ever find a situation where there are some super aggressive walleye, a heavier jig can be worked faster across an area and may produce more. If the fish are negative, downsizing to something that works very slowy and is more easily inhaled would be the ticket.

Occasionally, with a heavier jig, you can pound the bottom on a retrieve or vertically jigging. This kinda stirs up the bottom and might attract aggressive fish to strike.

Also, if casting sometimes a heavier jig is necessary for distance.

But like Dietz said, go as light as possible. The lighter the jig, the slower it falls many times, that is when fish will strike it.

I like to go lite at times but also heavier to catch the active fish. 1/8 jigs in 6ft or less, 1/4oz down to 20ft.

At nite I'll go with a 4in. grub on a1/16 oz jig..

But as the other guys stated go with jigs to maintain contact with the bottom. No matter if fishing lakes or rivers. You can even troll jigs as long as your hitting bottom, as you let the jig fall back. You'll also need differnt rods for different type of fishing. Snap jigging when trolling needs a stiff rod(medium-medium heavy). casting or vertical fishing A medium light to medium works well. And it will also go hand in hand with different lines and weights. Good luck fishing.

OK guys... that's great info. Let's ratch it up a notch. What about trailers on jigs? What do you recommend? Any thoughts on jigs with skirts vs. without?

Thanks!

Steve

Lindy has been making these for years, don't remember the trade name. But a marabou trailer or a yellow fluffy skirt certainly works for walleyes. But I catch plenty without, personal choice. I suspect the next question is going to be about stinger hooks. My preference here is to use a stinger only under the most negative conditions, because they hang up on the bottom so much.

Fuzzy Grubs! That's what Lindy calls them. They work anywhere walleyes swim.

Another reason you want to keep the jig as light as possible is this. If you ever study how a fish picks up food, many times it will puff up its mouth, flair its gills (forcing water and food into the mouth), and suck the bait into its mouth an in one fluent motion. Heavier jigs tend to provide more resistence and weight so its not inhaled by the fish. Sometimes fish are agressive and will swim right up to the bait and actively grab ahold of the bait, but that's not always the case.

With lighter jigs, the puff, flair, suck, bites produce fish. When you start getting to the 3/8oz and heavier, most of the time the fish will have to actually swim up and grab the bait.