• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Poor Kitty

DEADhead

I finally crossed the line the other night and "borrowed" some underfur and guardhairs from my cat (brown tabby). I needed a substitute for hare dubbing while tying up some hare's ear nymphs. I have to say, that the stuff looks pretty similar, and it tied real nice.

Plus I have an unlimited supply! I'll have to see if the trout like em or not...

I'm sure a million cats out there are hiding now... grin.gif

Good for you, JP!

Cat and dog hair can be the perfect dubbing if your animal is the right color. I know a guy who has a corgie (sp?) that has perfect hair for scuds...and it allows you to name the fly after your pet! smile.gif

Quote:

and it allows you to name the fly after your pet!

those baetis nymphs I tied can be called Belle's Baetis grin.gif

here's some of the flies tied with cat dubbing:

Belle's Baetis (tied with dubbing from my cat Belle and partridge hackle)

bellesbaetis.jpg

another Belle's Baetis

bellesbaetis2.jpg

Belle's Baetis Emerger (the wing case is the low part of the partridge hackle)

bellesbaetisemerger.jpg

Pink Squirrel (tied with cat dubbing)

pinksquirrel.jpg

Here's a bonus fly i tied tonight:

Orange Scud (tied with the Wapsi Bighorn Orange Sow/Scud dubbing and orange antron for the head and tail)

orangescud.jpg

Small problem...Loch Leven brown trout--those from Furragh and Scotus, in southern Scotland, the ones with the little green spot inside the little orange spot inside the yellow, you know the ones--are allergic to cat dander. (also shellfish, rarely a problem, and sunflower seeds, and latex.) Fish hooked on a cat-fur fly are likely to go into a sneezing fit and you know what that means.

On the other hand, flies tied with cat fur virtually always land hook-down and so tend to appear more lifelike in the surface film.

I found them very effective in Alaska. We'd tie lemming flies with cat fluff and fish them for dog salmon, but the wolves would often take our fish.

ice