• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Iceout 2006?

April has arrived and another open water season will arrive soon. Any guesses as to Iceout this year? I'm guessing April 26th. Any other guesses? Maybe Fishkab can be the judge.

ef99905e.jpg

This photo taken within 3 days of Iceout in 2005(just to wet your appetite).

I'm in. April 22. What does the winner get? Six packs/12 packs are always a good prize tongue.gif

I'll say May 1st.

Hey Turtle Boy, where was that photo taken? It looks a little familiar.

I've got a six pack "on ice" I will be happy to share with the winner. Maybe another sixpack for whoever can ID the site.Here are some more clues, the first photo I happened to find on a demolition companys website which may be the same site yet again.

ef987069.jpg

ef987384.jpg

ef987383.jpg

ef987382.jpg

My guess is that the top photo is Sphunge Island when they were taking down all of the cabins.

I'm thinking that the last one is from back in Bowman Bay looking NW towards Big Martin and Jug.

I’m guessing April 20. I am thinking the rain may be coming.

If not I’ll be a little soon. The 20th is pretty much wishful thinking but I think it’s very possible.

April 28th, and I 'm guessing it's the yellow cabin sight on the mainland point at the mouth of Mud bay looking west toward Little Ritchie and east down toward Nebraska bay.

Here's one more picture taken on the same day from the some site.

ef9435a6.jpg

Note the remains of the crib dock. It was one of those days when you almost feel guilty disturbing the water, where the smallest sound carries forever.... I'm not sure sure if the demolition photo is the same spot, it just looks like it to me. The return of Voyageurs from development to "wilderness" is an interesting twist from the norm. I do, however, feel badly for the previous owner of this and other such sites.I guess we never really "own" anything. Below is a photo that really illustrates the return to wilderness phenomonon. I'm sure most visitors to western Kab know where this one was taken.

ef942033.jpg

I agree w/ Kab Dreamin' (which doesn't happen very often!) on the fireplace photo - Sphunge.

Ice out - April 24

Just a note, the last two pictures are for sure Sphunge's Point. Harry lived there for many years and was one of the early guides..He worked for my grandfather at Lakeview Resort back in the 30's.. The other photos are still out there. The first one is not the same location as the series of photos.. Keep working on it... By the way, still plenty of ice on the lake and it is still tight to the shoreline. That maybe will help some of the guesses...Good Luck Fishkab

Hi all. Thanks for the historical info Fishkab! All of the photos except the very last (eagle and fireplace) were taken on the same day at the same place, just looking in different directions from what is now called Sphunge west campsite by the park service. I expect that is the same as Fishkab has identified as Sphunge Point. The very last photo was taken at what is called Stagies point on the maps (northwest tip of Sphunge). That eagle has been a fixture there for the last 2 years. The demolition photo I am still not sure of, it just looks like it could be the same spot. It seems a shame to me that the history of such places as Fishkab points out can just seem to be be completely wiped out. I have been a frequent visitor to Kab for only the last 5 years, so don't really have much knowledge of the history........ Anyway, Im still sticking with Iceout on the 26th. I'll bore you with just 1 more photo to remind myself what it is we are waiting for.

ef8dc377.jpg

Heading home, full stringer, 1/2 gone beer.

So there is proof of the beer being half gone but I guess we have to trust you on the stringer being full, huh? smirk.gif

Turtleboy,, Thanks for the entertaining photos, the point I was referring to is the one with the chimney.. That is Sphunge's Point. None of the old timers, older than me, can figure out what or who Stagies was. That point was always called Sphunge's Point for the fact that Harry lived there. Stringer full heh!!!!!! Kab Dreamin can only DREAM of that!!!! Fishkab

Easy there, Fishkab. Between you and Let It Snow, I'm starting to get a complex or something.

Guess you just will have to trust me on the full stringer Dreamin'.... as well as on the statement that only half a beer was consumed. Maybe that was a "fishermans" full stringer and a "fishermans" half a beer. I notice you're not sticking your neck out on the iceout date.

I haven't even got one number right on my lottery tickets for over a month now. Guessing an ice-out date on Kabetogama? Not a chance. Besides, if I got it wrong, Let It Snow would probably say something bad about my mom. wink.gif

Dreamin - Your Mom?? No....your wife...yes!

We've had some warm and windy days and plenty of rain - cooler today tho but still breezy. Will sneak a peek at the ice and give you an update later. Ash River hasn't gone out yet and it's usually 2 weeks before Kab.

K Dreamin' - Just got back from the lake - looks pretty solid today but the forecast sounds warm with some rain on Monday. Heard of some people fishing Grassy Bay yesterday. I'm sure there is lots of ice once you get there but probably a damp ride in spots.

I'll stick with my 4/22 date...just a guess for the heck of it.

All turtle can see is ice. Back into the shell for a while!

ef86d0dd.jpg

On a much earlier post I guessed iceout to be the 20th, I've been ridiculed by many for the early guess, Ash River went out on Saturday, and I suspect Sullivan Bay to be out today, or tommorrow. 70 yesterday, 56 o'night low, and 76 as I type. I think I may win my wager from Fishkab I think the ice will be out by Tues next week if not earlier. guts

But try getting fishkab to pay up. That should be interesting.

Looks like my guess of April 20 might be in the ball park.

I'll have to look you up, turtleboy, to collect. By the way I like my beer cold. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif.

Looks like maybe we're all off on the late side. Ice off before tax day would be a treat though. What say Fishkab?

I would say iceout is today, Easter Sunday, April 16. Kab is pretty open after lots of south wind and heat (77) yesterday and this morning. A boat made it from Kettle Falls to Ash River yesterday.

I missed it by a week!

Hopefully we'll have a web cam set up for Kab by this winter but until then, check out the sky-blue waters here! Should have you wishin' you were fishin'!

Crane Lake Cam at

http://cranelkcam.lutefisktech.com/images/cranelakecam.jpg

Turtleboy and Others, I would agree with Let it Snow, ice out Easter Sunday.. there was still some ice around Sheep and Ram and North of that yesterday afternoon. this morning no sign of ice anywhere. Get the boats fired up. Fishkab