• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

backcast,

Sorry I was not able to get back to your post. I had volleyball tonight and went down after that. Got there just in time for another great night. I have more then enough smelt if you are in need of some. Give a post in the morning when you see this. If your interested in some smelt let me know and I'll meet up with you tomorrow sometime. I have plans from 11:00am to 1:00pm today (Friday) but I have the rest of the day free.

Talk to you then!!!

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• BD110

• SKIPPERS KID

• LoonASea

They are definitely starting to slow down a bit. Was down at WI point last night. Got somewhere around a gallon, but by 11pm there were less than a dozen in the net after a long pull. There will still be some running this weekend, but probably early in the evening and by next week, it'll be over. What a great run though. I cant remember that last time it was every single night for a whole week.

Hey Northlander,

Give me a call on my cell when you are up and at it. I have a message to pass on to you!!!

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

P.S. We need to talk about your plans for the camper on the opener. Also a newer Deep cycle battery would be a good plan. I will be usuing both of mine in my boat.

Are the rivers producing too? I would like to get some before the end of the run but have not been able to get out due to a little girl going to bed early. Gonna try tonight if the little one is up for being a trooper! If there are still folks out there willing to give a few away let me know. I would be happy to empty your buckets so you can get out there again grin.gif

Frenzy I have some you can get. Hurry though or they will surely be gone soon.

BD110,

Sorry to have missed giving you a hand. Just wanted to help out and catch a glimpse of what the glory days must have been like.

Will it be worth going out to TOT lot tonight? have not been able to get out yet, blasted cold been keeping me down and out. Hoping to get out tonight tho, cold or no cold, going to give it a try.

thanks

O

Almost There,

I should be able to make it down there tonight to help you with that seine. Just let me know a place and time and I am there. Post back on here or give me a call. My cell # is 763-234-6691

Ill be there as well about 8:30-9pm. Ill bring my Christianson if anyone wants to pull it.

Is everyone going to be at the tot lot tonight or where will you guys be? Hope to see some of you down there.

I will most likely show up around the same time. Not sure if I'll be taking any smelt home but that could change. I would say next to the bridge would be the best bet as of late. Northlander give me a call later and let me know what the plan is. I will be away from my computer.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

The run should be almost over after to night good luck and be safe cool.gif

Went down to the point for a bit. Some smelt still being caught.

The Duluth Police were out inforcing parking regs and giving tickets. Alternate side parking remember.

Here are the Rules of the Beach as given to me by 1 Very Nice and Cooperative officer Tinsley tonight.

1. Park closed at 10 pm til 6am ( You can not be on the beach or inside the park after 10pm) The officer explained this is true unless you are in the act of fishing. So smelting is fishing and ok.

2. No alcohol allowed inside the park (opened or unopened)

3. No fires allowed on the beach

4. No littering

5. No fireworks allowed in the park

6. No urinating or defecation in the park

7. No parking a vehicle in the park lots at 12th street and 4800-5000 block of Minnesota Avenue

8. No glass or bottles allowed in the park

The Duluth Police Dept. patrols this beach and citations are being issued. Violations carry a fine of $31 - $700 for each violation.

Thank You for your cooperation. Officer Tinsley #410

Im posting this as a informational tool for my fellow fisherman/smelters. My hopes are that this will help so that nobody on this site gets a ticket of any sort and we as sportsman can work with the residents of Park Point so we can continue to be able to fish/smelt in the park in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you all enjoyed the smelt run as much as I did!

Hope to see ya on the water. Northlander.

Headed to the Two Harbors area tommorrow afternoon for my annual chasing of the steellies trip, hoping to get in some smelting tommorrow night..what do you think the chances are of there being some smelt up that direction? I always thought and perhaps wrongly, that they kinda migrate up the shore towards the north..any truth to that? Are they getting any Kamploops anymore or is that pretty much over? Thanks for any info.

Thanks Northlander,

The flier on my windshield at the Totlot was pretty wet and I could not read it. Now I know...

I talked to officer Tinsley on the way out and he said the guys who lit the fire only got a warning. He told them that the fine would have been $109.00 for each person in the party if they had been fined. Since they had been from out of town, I think he was being pretty nice to them.

What a drizzley night, but not as windy. How did the late-nighters fair on the smelting? I had to leave at 10:00.

Reports were like last night but not quite as good. Decent amounts of smelt in the 1st hour after dark then when most left another decent wave later on. Who knows the guys getting rained on may get a nice run later.

Looks like maybe the next 2 nights could still be ok but judging from the numbers the last few nights and then tonight its slowing down quite a bit.

I doubt there are any smelt in the streams by 2 harbors but ya never know. I havent heard anyone talking about it if there is. There was some taken off the beach there though.

I may go tomorrow night for the last hurrah, who knows. Or I may just go down to check it out and BS with everyone.

Anybody do any good tonight after 10pm?

Chalstroms was next to us with their big net and in my opinion they did not get many (and neither did we ) it is definatly tapering off ...I got stuck by the bridge while a laker left port ...walked down by the wall and they were getting a few ,,, but no big hauls ..I may have to concentrate on catching some pan fish on island or fish lake this weekend or maybe just get the bottom of the boat wet...has any one had any luck yet with crappies on fish???

Was down at TOT lot, only 7 smelt for an hours work. Things were slow down there. Walked down to the brodge around 1030 or so was slow there as well. Only thing I did get was a wet leg, found out my waders had a hole in them. Well guess will have to wait till next year to try and get some of the little critters. grin.gif

we have been out the last three nights and only got about 2 gallons or so total. if any of you smelters that hammered them have any extras that you want to get rid of ill take as many as you will throw my way. i live in superior and will drive to get them wherever. post here and i can contact you. thanks in advance(hopefully) grin.gif darren

Was out at the tot lot and got about 2 gallons even after some net issues. We started about 9 and quit about 10:30.

Northlander, thanks for giving us the local regs....many people do not know the regs b/c they really are not that clear. This maybe a question that you can't answer, but can I park in the lots after 10 pm if I am fishing? I usually park on the street to be safe. blush.gif

I asked Officer Tinsley that exact question ...he said as long as you were in the act of fishing you can remain parked in the lot/park ..he added that you shouldnt bring a dozen of your buddies and only have one pole to fish with ...his main concern was fires, litter and alcahol

Did not follow the shole thread, but if you are talking about the tot lot and the beach Officer Tinsley was wrong Yhe beach closes at 10:00Pm along with all the parking lots. It all depends on which officer is working. Nothing in the city reg that states if you are fishing you can be out later. 99.9% of the time if you are obaying the rules they will not say anything but you never know. Have seen when an officer was locking the tot lot gate with cars inside. A ticket and the price of a tow job is what ya get.>>>later the load

Load I asked him about that and he said it is written that as long as your fishing you can be parked on the point and in the lot. He said he had to dust it off and nobody knew of it. As far as a ticket now that they posted this info on 300 vehicles it would be hard to tow someone.

There is a lot that he said you cant park in and thats posted above. I think 1 on 12th street and also on the 4800-5000 blocks. Im not sure if the Tot Lot is on 12th street?

Well its slower than nights past but still worth pulling. Can fill up a pail in a dozen pulls or less with a good seign.

Finally fingered out where the city discoed my internet access under the bridge, I think the shiner run is done. I looked in a few buckets the past evenings, and only seen smellllllt. ST it might have been your bucket I was scopin, a pink one ? all anybody had was smelt, yuck, they give me the urps sometimes. I got plenty of shiners dryin and curin in sawdust, dem critters aught to be good for some time.