• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'll haul my cheap net and extra waders.

I just need to add wieght to mine though...

B2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• BD110

• SKIPPERS KID

• LoonASea

I will be there sometime tonight probably. If no one needs help pulling I can at least BS a little. Hope to see some of you guys there. I will be in waders and a maroon UMD sweatshirt with a headlamp on.

I was at Park Point last night and didn't get a single smelt (pulled for 2 hours straight). Waves were a little too big to get a good pull. Went down by the airport and struckout again. Where are they running guys?

p.s. - Northlander I was way too hot to start a fire and I don't drink - thanks for the info.

We were at the mouth of the Brule, but from what I have heard they are running anywhere from Ashland to Dutchmans creek.

A few of us where down with the crowd by the airport we ended up with 5 gallons. It was good early then died down to 2 or 3 smelt a pull.

Well, we had an ok night about 3-4 buckets full (5 gal). Thanks to BD110's net and other pullers! We averaged about 2-3 dozen a pull(nice size). The women (that's right, 'The Women') averaged better about 4 dozen a pull. Go figure~

It was good to meet all there!

B2

It was a good nite for smelting ....comfortable, calm, full moon ...and we even pulled in a nice laker

FD and PD shocked.gif showed to warn smelters about the rules of the beach ... confused.gif struck me as odd that the fire dept only came and talked to us confused.gif(probably cuz we were the closest to the parking lot )...Ill be back down there tonite

Randoid

Im hoping this dang cold calms down so I can make it tonight. Wouldnt ya know I get sick and the smelt start running.

If anyone needs someone to help smelt tonight I am willing I have to work until 11:30, but I can get down there soon afterwords. I am not the most experienced smelter, but I will be willing to do a bunch of pulls. Just let me know. ooo.gif

Looks like the winds off the lake have put my plans to a hault. Whitecaps and rollers. Maybe tomorrow now.

yeah there are some really decent waves down there tonight and it seems like the wind isn't going to die anytime really soon. I may have to head down tomorrow too got stuff that I could do here in the mean time. If anyone does get out tonight let us know how you do.

You know Steve he does make a really good point tongue.gif

Ya I know but that waters cold and you dont come back up once those waders fill up with it.

Just more time to tie some spinners and get my jig boxes set for opener. Cant come soon enough thats for sure.

I'm free every night starting with monday so all I need is a time and a place. The seine and waders are in the truck it's just a matter of who'll help with the other end of the net or who would like help with the other end of theirs. Somebody dial 428-8015 and we'll make it happen.

So is anyone planning on going down there tonight if this wind happens to die down a little bit? Looks like it should subside some by evening time.

Hey guys,

I'm back online with the computer. Who would have tought a splitter would cause that kind of trouble. I plan on heading down around 7:30pm tonight and we'll see what the lake has to offer. If you weren't down thier on Friday night you missed what may be the nicest evening of the run. Hope to see some of you tonight.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Only place worth trying would be Arrowhead pier or the bay sides of park point or Wi.Point. Way to windy.

Well, the wind can't blow forever, can it?

I'm thinking of heading down to either the tot lot or the pier corner tonight (about 9PM)to see how much the wind lets up.

Anyone else in?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The lake was rockin yesterday and theres still a east wind today. I'm having doubts about tonight.

Unless something happens quick it will be another night of no smelt. Could hit the bayside or up river but no way on the lake as of now.

Being a smelting idiot, my mind has these two questions rambling through it:

If the waves keep pounding night after night, do the smelt do their "thing" anyway, and we consider smelting a loss here for the year?

OR

Do they patiently cool their hormones in deeper water and do their run later?

Went to Wisc. last night in the big waves and got 5 gallons of those little smelt things. Could have got more but I hate cleaning them. Wondering if anyone else was out? There were not any other people on the beach with us.

Where does one smelt on the "bay side" ??? I was at the parking lot last nite near the airport watching to see if any one was going in the water for smelt and waiting to see if the wind would calm down ...can smelt be found in this area ??? or are there better spots ???

with all the wind a small sand dune has formed at the tot lot and no one seems to want to venture out in the rollers let alone walk the beach and get sand blasted

The lot at the airport is where you wanted to be. Just pull the seign on the bayside there. May hit gold you never know.

Thanks Steve I'll have to remember that..... forecasters have the wind switching tomorrow (I want a job where My accuracy isnt a priority)....but I may go hit the bay this evening ...have you been out for crappies??

I am thinking about heading up friday. It will be my second time ever smelting. The first time was and Grindstone Lake so it will be my first time up there. Where do I go and what do I need. I have waiders and a lantern. When I went to Grindstone I used a wire fish net and got about 4 gallons.I am assuming I would need a seine up there? Is friday gonna be too late? Any answers would be appreciated. One last question do I need anything other than a fishing license to smelt?

I think by friday it should be just about done. you still might get some on the point with a sein. the way it is going with the wind it might just be friday the wind has not stoped but when it does it should be good.....

Man, I walked down to the Lester last night and saw a bunch of people dipping nets and doing pretty good. I dont think I like smelt enought to dip them out of a river half a block from a raw sewage main break! Those little buggers smell bad enough the way it is. Make sure you rinse them off with a little soapy water.

I haven't had smelt since I was a little kid, and I'm going to be in Duluth this weekend for a conference. Is there anywhere up there that I can buy fresh smelt or anyone on FM who would be willing to sell a gallon or two I would love to have a smelt fry down here!