• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  

Northlander

Ok I have gotten a few requests to put up a area Smelting report so here it is.

Myself and several others will be out nightly checking it out and will report back with what we find or dont find.

Have a fun and safe Smelting season everyone.

BD110

My plan is to head down Wednesday thru Sunday night this week. I could be talked into checking tonight if anyone is interested.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Northlander

Wed night it is. Too windy today.

DuluthGuy

I can't Mon or Wed (school) but can the rest of the nights.

340-8394 cell

B2

pikemaster

I am a newbie. After only reading what everyone is doing for a couple of months I'm gonna start talking. I think it's gotta be too early for smelt. I fished Lake Superior last saturday and the water temp. at the landing in the Brule river was 36.7 degrees. The lake was 39.8. doesn't the river have to be pumping in warm water in order for smelt to run?

SFBOY

Pikemaster, sshhhhhh. There might be wives out there that read this. What they dont know is not going to kill them. wink.gif

outdoor ran

pikemaster welcome aboard. It might be a little early for smelt smirk.gif but nothing like being the guy that gets to say "you should of been here last night". Besides what a great excuse to get together and b.s. and have a couple.

LoonASea

Soo....Is the plan to be smelting out on Park Point wed nite ??...or some place else???...since I have some free time wed and some birch cores to burn ...I could meet some FMers and provide some warmth

Randoid

Northlander

Loonasea 1st of all welcome aboard.

Secondly, yes we will be at the Tot Lot tomorrow night giving it a shot for a bit. Im betting we are a week or so early, at least, but ya never know.

Im hitting Park Point and the South Shore tomorrow for Coho and eyes and Ill see what the temp is out there.

Come on down to the Tot Lot about 7:30 or so and we can BS. Myself and BD110 will be there and maybe a few more.

LoonASea

Northlander ...I think I will recognize BD110's truck and I was at the Grand Slam meeting so I know who you might be ..I have the day off tomorrow ...so If Im not on the shores by the French ..I think I can find my way down to Park Point ...Im just not familiar with the "tot lot"

I will throw a load of wood in my truck just in case

SKIPPERS KID

Steve i will be there give me a call I will be trolling on the lake and can't wait for the smelt hunt.

Northlander

Skipperskid call me. I have to go pick up my props from Jay Soderbloom in the AM but will be heading out around 11am. Hitting Park Point and South Shore.

Tom Linderholm

I'll do my best to make it tommorrow, got other things going on. grin.gif It may be time to introduce my tot to Smelting at the tot lot. 3 1/2 might be the perfect age to see it, before they are all gone. Let the pulls be short and the catch be huge.

Wade Joseph

Loonasea and I work together, yet he gets all these days off during the week to fish while I am stuck down in Onamia. If I ain't moving, I have pnuemonia. Geeez. With a little luck one of these days I will be done moving and get out either on the shore, or out to scoop up some little fishes. Anyone going next mon/tues evening?

BD110

LoonASea,

When the road makes it first turn to the right at the Tot lot you'll drive straight ahead into the parking lot across the street from the Tot lot. As far as the fire wood goes I would leave that at home. It will only prompt a visit from Duluth's Firefighters. Not that I don't like to visit with them a few of them are my buddies. Open fires are not allowed in the city limits.

Wade,

I plan on being down at Park point on Monday evening also and a little fishing up the shore also during the day.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

morgan7c

My roommate and I are going to try to do some smelting this year for the very first time. Any info on what we will all need will be greatly appreciated. How big of a seine net will we need? Is there a license we need for smelting? Are there limits? How do you clean them? We will be going out sometime next week if anyone is interested in showing us the ropes. We have waders, pails and other gear I'm sure we'll need. Have a great day guys!

DuluthGuy

Most outdoor places up here sell nets. 25-50'

50 is better, Christen(sp) are best. BD110 has one with a 3' pocket that is the dream net. If you buy a frabill(sp) net you might want to add wieght to the bottom. Maybe a headlamp, 5 mil waders, 5 gal bucket.

Cleaning varies - some cut off the head(scissors) and then slit the belly and sweep the guts with a finger. Others leave the head on.

B2

LETSgoFISHIN

went to the point last night and made 6 or so pulls and we ended up with 1 four inch smelt. at least we didnt get skunked smirk.gif the christensen still pulls like a dream and now all we need is the smelt to hurry up and get here grin.gif im going to hit it tonight and wet a line instead. good luck smelters. darren

Northlander

25' is the biggest net you can pull unless you have a license to sell bait. As far as I know anyways.

No smelt tonight. Try again mid week next week.

BD110

Thanks to all the guys that made the trip down to Park point. It was nice to get a chance to b.s. with all of you.

I'm going to give it another try next Monday night.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

muttly

This is my first try at posting a picture, so if it doesnt work I apoligize. I think we are all a little bit to anxious. I took this picture on April 11, 2005. I am sure glad it doesn't look like this out there this year! This was taken from the Tot Lot.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43e7f72az55cc66dc/61d9/__sr_/1dfb.jpg?ph4rRNEBFhNcTN1R

hookset 31

Fished the Iron River, Port wing area yesterday-water temps 39.6 degrees. The rivers where running a dark chocolate color. The lake was pretty stained but found some clear water between the stain and caught some fishes.

Deep_Sinker

What would you guys recommend for handle on my sein net? Any particular length?

Hopefully, I'll be able to get a few this spring for fishing...

muttly

2x2 from Menards work well for me. I just got the 8 footers