• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

PSU

Now here's a fun topic.........

We are in the process of putting up a small cabin on an island in Vermilion. Does anyone know the laws surrounding putting an outhouse up?

Guido

If your building a cabin wont you need a septic tank anyway? confused.gif

PSU

Septics on islands cost approximately 15K and we will probably wait a few years on this investment, ie. not a number one priority.

delcecchi

It all used to be documented on St. Louis Co. Website. Have you checked?

PSU

No, I haven't checked but I will.

Thanks

Cliff Wagenbach

Most outhouses that you get a permit to put in will require that you install a buried plastic or concrete tank that is sealed at the bottom and can be pumped out.

That is the way I read the laws anyway! confused.gif

Cliff

garytheguide

the ones i have put in are just as cliff said.....

BigVLover

PSU, the old-fashioned hole in the ground outhouses are pretty much a thing of the past. We looked into it for our own cabin and were turned down. Also, it may be tough on an island depending on how the DNR has classified the land (lwetland, lowland, etc.)

delcecchi

you will have to paste the url. Sorry about that.

PSU

The outhouse idea seems out of the question ($$$$'s) since we will probably have septic in a year or two. We are considering buying a Century 5 gallon toilet for inside the cabin to use until we have septic. Does anyone know the human waste disposal rules for an island on Vermilion?

I really appreciate any help.

MT Net

Quite the topic here, but it is urgently necessary...more so at some times than others. shocked.gif

I would imagine that dumping the 5 gallon pail would not be all that pleasant of a task. Then you'd have to haul it home with you. tongue.gif

Two years is a long time to use the 5 gallon pail deal. You might want to consider an envirolet or biolet composting toilet.

Do a google search for "Composting Toilets". Friends of ours had an envirolet for years before putting in a septic system. They had it located in a room in the cabin dedicated as the bathroom. It worked great, just needs electricity to run the fans. No odors.

Quote:

On Site Waste Treatment Plants

Composting toilets are toilet systems which treat human waste by composting and dehydration to produce a useable end-product that is a valuable soil additive.

They come in a variety of models and brand names as well as different shapes and designs to enhance the natural composting process.

They use little or no water, are not connected to expensive sewage systems, cause no environmental damage and produce a valuable resource for gardening.