• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
1DIRTBALL

Trailer light bulb problem

Question

1DIRTBALL

I have a 2 wheel utility trailer made out of an old Chevy pick-up box. Don't know for sure what year but it looks like it could be from the 70's. When I got it, there were no bulbs in the tailights. I tryed putting in a #1157 but it wouldn't fit. Seemed to be a little too long. Anybody got an idea on what I should be using? Thanks in advance for any help. 1DIRTBALL wink.gif

10 answers to this question

Surface Tension

I wonder if the socket is corroded. The center is spring loaded and will slide in when you push the bulb in. Use some WD40 or silicon spray and try working it loose.

Jeremy airjer W

i just looked up the bulb for a mid 70's 1/2 ton chev and 1157 is the correct bulb. Make sure you have the little tangs lined up correctly on the bottom of the bulb. They will only fit one way. Or they could just be corroded! grin.gif

castindad

airjer where might a guy get some pigtails electrial for the old tail lights the kind that had the springs on for tension? auto stores in st cloud did not have thanks castindad

Jeremy airjer W

That depends if they are trailer lights you may have to replace the whole light assembly, around $20 for a kit. The kits are available at places like, Bumper to Bumper O'Riely, NAPA, wal-mart (limited applications) Gander, Northern tool, Fleet Farm, L & M, Tractor Supply, Truck Stops, or Any other parts store should be able to get them for you. If its for an automotive application you should be able to find them at any parts store or the appropriate dealer.

Macgyver55

Castindad, I know what you are looking for. Basicly the "guts" of the light socket right? In fact, I just walked out in my garage and I have a few here. I know that even the auto stores like Big Wheel and Champion used too carry "repair sockets" for autos. You could try them, otherwise I'd be happy to give you these, but St. Cloud is a long way to go for something that costs probably less than a buck if they still have them.

Jeremy airjer W

That must be some old school stuff!!!! grin.gif

Macgyver55

Its getting so I hate to admit how long I've been outa school! frown.gif

Jeremy airjer W

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can always learn a new trick from an old dog!!!! grin.gif

loadmaster

Would it not be easier and cheaper, just go and buy a new set of tail lights at the auto parts store.>>just a thought>>>late r the load

Surface Tension

I have to admit, I knew the truck had 1157 bulbs. With age comes experience. Besides, the 70s weren't that long ago.

LoadMaster, if it were just a trailer then the replacements lights might be an option but when the trailer already has the light assembly built in you might as well try and get those to work. Knowing your age, surely you can relate to fixing the old instead of opting for new replacemnets. grin.gif