• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Red Wing River Fishing

I have been fishing by Alma and was looking at fishing the Red Wing area next week.I have a few questions for anyone that has fished this area.

1-Where is the landing?

2-General area you fish?

3-Baitshops?

4-Quality of fishing and species-Eyes and Sauger?

5-Typical baits used? jigs and plastics& minnows-any cranks

Thank you for the advise.

Hey Harvey Lee,

We just got back about an hour ago. We were fishing up at the dam, on the left side when looking at the dam. We drifted down that side until the first wingdam. We varied in depth from about 20-35. We did alright there, ahout 10 fish mostly sauger about 11-14inchers. Then we went down the river just until where the point is that goes up to the Lock. we started a drift there and drifted about 400 yards i would guess, past the area where the other creek comes in. varying in depths from 22-40. 36 seemed like a good depth then. We caught another 15 fish in that spot in about 5 drifts. Also about the same size, but a few more Walleyes, with one bonus one that was about 27"(that fish alone made the whole trip!!!) We used 3/8 oz jigs with stingers, i had a firetiger fireball on with just plastic on in the morning and just a fathead on in the second spot, it didnt really matter, i guess i had a few more hits on the minnow. The access we used is on North 63 or 61, something like that, it is in wisconsin just outside of redwing. right by the bridge. Good luck to you and let us know how you do!!!

JS

There are 3 main landings...Covill park in Red Wing off of HWY 61S...The landing at the bridge on 63N into WI...Everett's resort. Everett's has bait and all the ringworms you would need. They also charge $7 to launch whilethe rest are free.

If it is nice this weekend, there will be ALOT (100+ maybe 200+) boats at Red Wing. There are two other baitshops in RedWing. THey are on the western side of town.

Fish up by the dam and follow the crowds for the most part if you are new to the area. Use your electronics to find the better spots up there.

Lot of Saugers and Eyes. Go deeper for saugers and shallow for eyes. There are numerous large eyes caught in shallow water up there.

Deeper water we use jig and minnow or jig and paddletail. Can also cast a jig and minnow but we use ringworm on a 1/8 oz jig for the most part. Get a variety of colors because the fish change from day to day and even hour to hour...Both bright and natural colors...Chartreuse and orange are two very popular colors.

Good luck and hope this helps.

One of these years I need to make the commitment to learn the river. I've only fished the Alma dam in the late Fall. Thanks for the good report and information.

Andy:

Do you have an alternative email address with which you can be reached? Please send an email to the address below.

Thanks,

Joel

Andy be glad to take you out. I'm planning on hitting the river April 14 and 15th. I'd like to on the 8th but I'm already overbooked on that day.

I'm always game for help on the river. I fished it for the 1st time yesterday at Alma and didn't get a bite. If anyone is ever looking for company shoot me an email. [email protected] Thanks in advance!!

I've cycled through that area often but have never fished there. Would anyone care to recommend a general shorefishing spot? Just need to get started somewhere. Thank you very much.

how many trailers fit at the Coville park launch? i have only used Everts so far but if i decide to fish farther down river i would like to launch down there. how late is the launch open until (how late at night)?

fished last Friday and Saturday with fishing bite being slow to moderate. Fished mostly with 1/4 and 3/8 ounce jigs with minnow and or with ringworm. caught mostly saugers with a few 17-18 inch in size. Enough to keep 5 fish for the frying pan (gave them to my fishing partner from Milwaukee who came up for the day 1/2 of fishing).

Looking to head out again on the 1st. Has all the ice on Lake Pepin moved down river after the barges broke the ice up last week? Would think that will help the water warm up a bit and get some walleyes moving up riving.

Thanks for the offer Mark, but I'm already booked for those two days. Apart from the busy schedule, we also have a 3 month old around the house so it has been a bit of a challenge trying to get out.

I would say 25-30 fit there. It is usually not as busy as the hwy 63 or Everett's. If you get there early there should not be a problem. I am not sure how late it is open. It is much easier to fish the downriver stuff if you launch there, everything is much closer.

Most of the ice has been off since the barge went thru last Monday. I haven't been down since Friday but there was little ice on the lake then from what I could see. Hok-Si-La launch was open. The only ice we saw was on the protected shorelines that were out of the current. I am guessing there is very little/no ice left now though.

Good luck, I'll be heading down in the morning and will let you know how we end up doing. Hopefully the big girls are more in the mood!! So far only 3 nice ones for us...23,24 and 28.

We are also heading down there in the morning, i will also let you all know the reports!!

JS

Well We got home about an hour ago. We fished 3 in our boat. From 8-2 we caught one sheepshead, and 3 small saugers, from 2-6 we caught about 45 sauger and walleye. As soon as the sun came out and warmed up the air, they just turned on, we didnt have any huge ones, but managed a 23 inch sauger!! If we would have caught all our bites and the ones we had on for a few feet, we would have boated well over a hundred fish. We had about 15 between 15-17 inches, and all the rest were small. We were fishing at the mouth of the lock to where the other part of the river flows in. Along with about 100 other boats! But it was a blast and overall i would say a success!!

JS

Thanks for sharing your report with us. Sound like you guys had fun.

Tough weekend for me. Just a couple of legals but I was pig hunting and avoided the lock area for the most part. Seems the big girls just aren't ready to come out and play yet. Did get into a bunch of 20+lb carp and that was a gas. They were actually slurping up our ringworms.