• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone been out after cats on the LeSueur River this spring? I'm going to try it out behind the house on Friday.

Le sueur river huh? havent fished there in a long time but it sounds like fun. Caught the biggest walleye I've ever caught on that river.

Good Luck on the river. Ill be home in a couple weeks-we'll have to try it then

• 2 weeks later...

Are you coming back this weekend? I'll be doing some fishing on Saturday for sure. The river is way too high right now, so I'll prbly be hitting up the old reliable crappie spots.

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has done good on the Le Sueur in the past. All I've ever caught are Channel cats under 10 lbs. and small walleyes. Lots of carp and sheephead as well mad.gif.

Ill be home on Friday around 2. We should head out friday or sat if you don't have to work. Let me know when you plan on going out. TTYL

I have lived on Main St in St. Clair with the river in my backyard for 4 years. I've never wet a line, but I have waded with my bow and shoot a few carp.

Three and a half years ago my wife and I took my canoe from the backyard all the way out to the park north of town. That river never runs straight! There was a huge log jam that looked like a good spot to fish behind, but the couple portages we had to make to get around log jams were difficult due to the steep banks and I haven't ventured down the river since.

A few years before that a couple guys I know found a bank with a sharp drop that supposedly produced several decent walleyes...no clue where it was though.

try wildwood park where the creek runs in to the river when the water goes down some for walleyes. Under alot of the bridges will produce channel cats.

Thanks for the info. I'll get out after the cats as soon as the water drops just a little further. If it only wouldn't rain for a few more days mad.gif...

It was a beutiful day yesterday. I tried by a few bridges and came home with a nice meal of Channel Cat. I caught quite a few between 2 and 4 pounds. I also caught a few other fish that were of other species as well wink.gif.

Glad to hear you found some cats.If you dont mind me asking what where you using? My dad and I are thinking about giving either the Le Sueur or the Big Cobb a try for some cats this week.

I'm just using a 2 foot snell with a medium sized red hook on the end of it and crawlers for bait. The river is still moving a little fast- an ounce doesn't really cut it, but its all I had and I still got into the bite. Good luck PDOGG!

I wish I was home to give that a shot. Keep on them until I get home. When you done with finals this semester?

I'm done with finals on the 11th, then I start turkey hunting on the 12th. When are you done? The bite on the river should be a lot better by the time you get back. We'll have to try it out one of those days. The water is still a little too high now.

I am done with finals on the 10th and plan on hitting the trout streams for a few days before heading back for opener. We paid a grand for a band to play at the house on May 5. Let me konw if you can make the trip up.

I wish I could make it out there this weekend! I have to work at HMC and I can't get out of it. I have to pull a double shift on Saturday (8-10:30). Well it sounds like a good time. Next year I'll be sure to make it there if you do it again. Well, give me a call when you get back and we can do some serious fishing!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.