• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Boedigheimer

Gargantuin Walleyes

Boedigheimer

This question is directed to the Red lake veterans that experienced the walleye glory days.

Has Red lake ever put out really big walleyes, maybe 10 pounders? Just by sheer numbers of fish, I would expect to see some 5-8 pounders, and according to what I've read these fish are already showing themselves.

But does Red lake have the ingredients for truely big eyes?

Or is it destined to be the greatest bingo factory in the state, not that there is anything wrong with that!!

kelly-p

In my memory a big walleye in the past was 18 inches. Once in while you would hear of a bigger one but if you had a stringer full of 18 inch walleyes you really had something. I remember once my Uncle coming in with a stringer of 20 to 25 inch fish in the early 1980's and we were amazed. We were told it was genetics, lack of structure, etc., etc. I think now that we are seeing bigger ones, 25/26 inches that have to be from the old original stock that bigger walleyes from URL are posible. The last 10 years are the first 10 years that the Red Lakes were not netted since about 1910. Were we keeping the size down with the netting? I think we are really in uncharted waters with this because we haven't been here before.

Boedigheimer

90 years of netting!! The fact that the lake held up to 90 years of virtually unregulated and unmonitored commercial and angling harvest are a true testament to the lakes resiliancy.

I must applaud the tribe for using restraint and not opening the flood-gates on its netting operations. Maybe history does not have to repeat itself!!

Random guy

It will be interesting to see what happens to the walleye size in the future. I personaly think the walleye that are stumbling onto crappie hooks and pike rigs are much bigger than the ones I used to catch growing up. Heck they are attacking my large sucker minnows on tip ups, in the eighties the sucker minnow could have ate the walleye! laugh.gif

Mjen

I have heard the lakes with big walleye are the ones that have an abundance of oily prey for them like ciscoes or tulibee. I know Red has tulibee but do ciscoes need deeper/colder water?

LABS4ME

Ciscoe and Tulibee are the same fish... Red has Whitefish but it lost most of them a couple years back when the water got pretty warm during the summer. Still a small population in the lake.

Good Luck!

Ken

moose099

Hey Labs, those whitefish are definitely in the lower lake. Much deeper water in the lower lake. As for those wondering about huge walleyes back when. Yup, back in the late 60's I remember watching the stripping operation on the Blackduck River. 10 to 12 lb females were commom with every size class below represented. The Lake was very healthy and better regulated back then. Jim Isenrich(sp?) ran the Redlake fishery back then and did an excellent job. Kelly's dad probably knew him.

kelly-p

Quote:

Yup, back in the late 60's I remember watching the stripping operation on the Blackduck River.

I was born in "56". Just how old are you moose???? grin.gifgrin.gif

moose099
laugh.gif 1944 My Friend

LABS4ME

Geez Moose... was the glacier even done forming the lake back in '44? hehehe grin.gif You old man!

Look at me poppin' off, you'll be fishing every day starting in a couple months, right? I'll still be at work wishing I was born in '44! crazy.gif

Let me know when you'll be back up in the area, we need to wet a line together...

Good Luck!

Ken

Random guy

Quote:

I have heard the lakes with big walleye are the ones that have an abundance of oily prey for them like ciscoes or tulibee. I know Red has tulibee but do ciscoes need deeper/colder water?

Shiners my freinds shiners, mini or snack sized ciscoes. wink.gif

kelly-p

I must say you are well preserved moose. grin.gif If I keep drinking Capt Cokes will I look that good at that advanced age. grin.gifgrin.gif

Take'Em

Capt Cokes can make anyone look good if you drink enough of them shocked.gif

moose099

No doubt in my mind Kelly. You keep doing what you are doing what your doing and thinking the way you are thinking and you will be young and preserved forever!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Labs, please keep going to the office, I want my SS check to keep coming!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif You can count on hearing from me. We do need to wet a line. Maybe we can talk Kelly into joining us if he is not stuck in a Rice Paddy that day blush.gif I'll make sure I have the youth juice for him. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Slabby

that's interesting Labs on white fish disappearing because of the high water temps. I caught 2 this year and those were the first ones for about 3 years.

Did shiners bite it for the same reason? I thought they just got scarfed up by the walleye ooo.gif

LABS4ME

Kelly or his Dad Jim would know more about the shiners... I guess I was under the impression they were lunch also. Jim had told me they were at the lowest population ever on the lake... Ever wonder why all those little perch are gone?

Good Luck!

Ken

fishing tech

3 years ago I was fishing on the ice in the rain on Red. I caught 7 walleyes, 6 of which were 22inches. I was out for probably 2.5 hours. I would say there is going to be some big ones out there. I did mark the spot in my gps just in case I get back up there.

The Bog Man

My dad used to new Whitefish for many years w/ Ed Hudec, and we saw LOTS of big walleyes and northerns in the nets. One walleye was easily 8-10 pounds, and that was maybe 10-15 years ago.

GConda

I can give you a story from the 30's. My old man was born next to Hudecs and grew up there. His story was about spearing off the bridge on the Tamarak opening fishing. Said he was the only one there. His biggest walleye was 8.5 lbs and that was with a spear! Said he never did see any big walleyes in those times. Northerns were a different story. 35lb in a net and 28.5 with a reel. Seems using a rod and reel was rare back then. Gary