• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wild 104.1 is holding a big tourney on Ottertail Lake May 19-20. $250 entry, 10,0000 first place. Paying back 20 places. Email or call Wild 104.1 for more details!

$10,000? Really, it isn't a type-o? Too bad you have school on that Friday and won't be able to fish! tongue.gif

confused.gifSpeaking of the PWT tournament, I heard that is now going to be a catch and kill tournament because they are having an off-site weigh-in. There goes hundreds of 14" eyes to the nursing home.

Not true, the PWT runs a very class act, all fish will be released that are able too, and the minimum size limit is 15 inches.

Then the local DNR is lying, they said it will be a kill tournament. As for the 15" min., I know they were talking about lowering it to 14", maybe threeway knows something about this?

Quote:

Then the local DNR is lying, they said it will be a kill tournament

Easy there.... just because someone contradicts something you've heard, please don't accuse the DNR of lying. frown.gif

If you're in doubt call Fergus Falls Fisheries (218) 739-7576, talk to Arlin Schalekamp, ext. 223. He's the Area Fisheries Supervisor. He should be able to answer any questions regarding the tournament permit rules. If he says it is going to be a kill tournament, then that's the way it stands, since the DNR writes the permit for the tournament.

I'm not accusing them of lying, the info did come from Schalekamp and I have no doubt he is stating the truth. My reply was to bigstump's post which stated "not true" about my previous post.

Cabin Boy is correct. I believe it's going to be a kill tournament. They are taking the fish off site, or traveling with the fish. That is why it's going to be a kill tourney. As far as the 14-15 inch minimum, they have not excatly set that in stone yet, or maybe I have not heard the final word. The fish will be cleaned and donated to some home or organization.

Quote:

My reply was to bigstump's post which stated "not true" about my previous post.

my bad then crazy.gif

most of the PWT tourneys are weighed in off site,and the fish are still released, all the boats have oxygen systems in the livewells and the fish are then shuttled back to the lake immidiatly after being weighed. Now I'm not exactly sure they will do it this way on ottertail, but I have a very hard time believing they would clean all of these fish out of the lake, thats why the DNR won't let anybody hold tournements in the warm summer months around here they are afraid the fish will die. I'm anchious to find out more.Keep me posted, Stump

Quote:

all the boats have oxygen systems in the livewells and the fish are then shuttled back to the lake immidiatly after being weighed.

even so, the fisheries supervisors still believe there is a tremendous amount of stress on the fish. Even on an immediate catch and release fish there is some likelyhood of mortality. The pressure a lake receives from a tourney like the PWT, even under the best conditions, fish handling practices, and best intentions will still result in fish mortality. Then there's the whole other issue of releasing fish in a different area of the lake than they were caught. Some species, like largemouth bass, don't often survive when released out of their home territory.

Not trying to argue here or anything, but just trying to let you in on the issues fisheries supervisors face when writing permits for tournaments...

morning guys,

i got my info letter yesterday for the tournament and the headquarters for the tourney is at zorbas. that is where we will start and finish as well as weigh in. it says all fish must measure at least 14 inches or the fish will be disqualified and that weight will be your penalty. and only 2 fish over 20 inchs is allowed. each boat can have 6 fish per day but only five will bw weighed. if you have any other questions. let me know.

Can anyone explain why they would they make it a kill tourney? I think that is ridiculous and it makes me think that the PWT is far from a class act. Ottertail is getting overrun with tourneys, you'd think they'd at least release the 2 over 20' they are allowed. Tough to watch a large group from out of town come in and do that when there are so many of us commited to releasing those fish.

This PWT event is a Super Pro Series event with 50 boats I thought I read. There are much larger tournaments out there that probably do more damage throughout the summer with high water temps, stress, etc.. But really, how many fish fish over 20" will they catch? grin.gif I plan on watching this event, really curious to see what comes into the scales.

How many locals and vacationers kill fish all year long? I'm willing to bet thousands of pounds each year. This one tournament, I just don't see as a problem, just IMO.

The DNR issued a permit, and if the professionals feel it is just, then so be it. I have no problem.

This thread is about another walleye tourney, let's try to keep it that way.

ChuckN is right, this post is about the 104.1 tourney. This event will be run as a class act. I believe that this is going to be one of the best tourneys on the lake for years to come. This and Scott's Bait and Tackle, these will be the tourneys to be in on Ottertail.

Does anyone know how many boats will be in the 104.1 event?That weekend is usually busy if the weather is good so I was wondering how many boats will be added to the normal number.This is a little selfish but that weekend is usually my first of many long weekends at the lake and now I know Friday morning will be busier then normal.I don't mind the tourney I just would like to know how it will effect my weekend.

Thanks.

Quote:

There will be between 100-200 boats. Hopefully they fill with 200 boats.

Are you pulling my leg? shocked.gif

This should be an interesting weekend on OT. grin.gif

I am considering this...

I take it threeway is fishing this? Gotta know who I need to beat. grin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Whats wrong with a weight in at the river mouth.. Doesnt make sense to me.. I have a cabin on the lake and these tourneys wont help the lake at all.. I agree and think it will be a fish kill.

I am personally fishing in this tourney and would like to say something about things. I know no one can gaurantee that there will be no fish killed during the tournament but after reading the rules it is better then most lakes around the area. The rules state that if a dead fish is brought in that weight will be deducted off of the total weight. Which some people might think isn't harsh enough but if you look at other tournaments in the area it is greatly harsher then most. On most that I have read the rules they will be docked 1/2 pound for a dead fish or half of the weight. But in most situations they still weigh in the dead fish. I hope I explained it good enough but they are trying to make it harsher for bringing in a dead fish. Not to say there wont be dead ones in the tourney.

Code-Man

I'm looking forward to this tournament and I think the 1 fish per person over 20" will come into play both days. Did I read right they are allowing 14" fish? This is a little odd to me as it will be the first time they allow the extra inch on Ottertail. According to the DNR the walleye population is crazy in this lake and allowing these extra tournaments is not going to hurt anything. I don't think the ice fishing harvest has been as great these past two seasons but feel the bite last spring and summer was somewhat difficult in comparison to past seasons. I do take a little offense to the PWT running a kill tournament due to the fact it gives somewhat of a bad name. I think the survival rate of fish caught during the tournament on a lake like Ottertail where many of the fish come from less than 22 feet helps. I'm jacked and can't wait, the competition should be greaet and opening day will be interesting with people running and gunning all over!!! Good luck to all who participate...

The rules that I read are as follows: An angler is allowed to take 2 fish over 20 inches with 4 fish between 14-20 inches. So if I read the rules right we can have two fish over 20 inches which I thought was weird but maybe I read it wrong. Should still be a good time. I heard rumors that if they get 200 boats which will probable never happen that they will drop the payout down to 50 boats.

Any word on how many teams have entered? Is this not the nicest spring you can remember? Maybe it is due to the fact I'm in the cities but everyday is amazing...

ok just to set everyone straight for sure....the 104.1 Walleye Tournament IS a kill tournament. they are looking for volunteers to clean fish at the weigh in which will be held in Ottertail City where the tracter pull usually takes place. The fish that will be cleaned will be donated to the local nursing homes, etc. Good Luck to anyone that is going to be in the tourney!!