• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gun shy dog

gamakatsu

I have a 1.5 year old male chocolate lab and he is gun shy right now. Does anybody know what i can do to help correct this problem? Last fall he was hunting great but then towards the end he wanted to go back to the truck soon as i shoot. Any advice would be greatful confused.gif

This comes up all the time... You can do a search in the hunting dog forum under key words "gun shy". I did cut a link to one of the discussions on gun shy last year... that would be a starting point. It takes a lot of consistant work to break dogs of gun shyness.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=590868&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Good Luck!

Ken

My first dog we started off with shooting off firecrackers when we threw her retrieving dummy for her. Also would take her with out to an old farm site and have her around when we shot clays or pigeons.

A guy we hunt with has a dog that was really gun shy, we would shoot a gun at a bird and she would be waiting for us back to the truck when we were done hunting. He started her off with a .22 and just shot a lot of rounds around her. I think he ended up having to tie her up so she couldn't run and just gave her a lot of praise and reassuring between .22 shots. Then he just worked his way up from the .22 and now when we go hunting and shoot she is one of the first dogs in the area the bird went down.

I think it is just going to take time and patience on your part to break her of it.

gamakatsu, I know what your going thru. I've got a gsp that has some gunshy problems. Some time ago I posted looking for a tape that I heard was on the market to "cure" a dog of this. I finally found the web site.

[link removed]

Talk to one of their reps. they are very helpful. I have talked to two people that say it worked for thier dogs. Pat

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

No firecrackers and no trap ranges. You have no control after the firecracker is lit and if for some odd reason the dog does something that hurts or scares it just when the firecracker goes bang then you could be at square one again. Same with the trap range, you have no control over the situation. Guns are firing randomly and you are not in control of the thing the dog is afraid of.

To do this right you have as much control as possible over every variable in the situation. That means using a cap gun or blank pistol for starters. Do this in an open field free of obstructions too. Only fire when the dog is keenly focused on something it finds pleasurable (like chasing a bird). Then over time s-l-o-w-l-y move closer and s-l-o-w-l-y increase the noise of the gun.

I agree with gpsman 100%.That has worked on alot friends dogs that I know.Slow and easy.

Thanks for the replies, i guess i'm going to start out slow again. The dog has all the commands down good, hope i can get him over this. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again

gspman, I couldn't agree more with your statement. It does take a lot of slow training. And alot of patience. The conditioning tape thatI mentioned takes over a month, At the least, to help the dog. If you can remember the web site I'd like your opinion on it. pat

• 4 weeks later...

my yellow lab also was gun shy from firecrackers I bought a c/d called masters voice gun shy cure it worked great, I also recomended this to a person with a Visla that was gun shy and they called about 6 months later and said it worked great

I have successfully used a tape myself on my black lab. It took some time, but it was well worth it. The dog has been very good in the field since then--its been 7 years of great hunting with her. If you want to give it a try I will send it to you--no cost, let me know.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.