• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

eyepatrol

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion as to which bay area would be better for fishing (all species) the last week of August:

Wake-Em Up Bay, Wolf Bay or Big Bay???

There are resorts in and around these areas that we're looking at. Each are nice and it's been hard to decide! smirk.gif

Dave B

Big Bay.

Cliff Wagenbach

basscatcher,

My vote goes for Big Bay! wink.gif

Cliff

slick814

Year round - my vote has to go to Big Bay! cool.gif

eyepatrol

Sounds like Big Bay is getting a pretty good vote. We've looked at Glenmore Lodge which I think is nearby Big Bay (don't have my map in front of me). Also looking at Voyageur Cove, Vermilion Dam Lodge and Vermilion River Cottages and Outfitters(?). The boat we'll be using only carries 12gal. of gas, so our traveling capabilities will be somewhat limited, which is why I put this post up.

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else want to chime in?

BigVLover

Basscatcher, just a heads up. Vermilion Cottages is on the Vermilion River below the dam so you wouldn't have access to the lake, if that's what you had in mind. There is good fishing in the river from what I've heard but unless you have arrangements with another resort like VDL to dock your boat on the lake, you would have to launch at a public landing each day.

eyepatrol

I actually discussed that over the phone with them last night. Apparently they have their own launch which is about a mile down the road from their cabins. It's located where part of the family has their house I believe. You can either leave your boat docked there over night, or launch it each day. But you're right, they don't have boat access to the lake directly from their cabins.

garytheguide

i would stay away from the river....you never know how the water level will be that time of year....and lots of bugs~!!!......besides you would probably want to be on vermilion.....near big bay!!!!

eyepatrol

Thanks for the responses. We'll take this into consideration when making our final decision. Of course, the fishing part will be more to my liking than my wifes! grin.gif

Ranckenstuff

Do not go west of Big Bay

I repeat do not go west of big bay

Or you could fish everything but Big Bay....

Thats what I do

DougSpringBay

Do not go west of Big Bay?

What's up with that.

Doug

Ranckenstuff

I was joking

eyepatrol

Doug -

What's the fishing like on the west side of the lake in late August? How about weather and, more specifically, wind? I always get a little concerned about wind as the west side of the lake where you're at seems to be pretty big open water where big waves might come into play on a windy day.

Thanks!

garytheguide

you can always find a spot out of the wind.....big bay can be a problem....but for the most part....you are able to find somewhere that you wont get pounded.....the fishing will be fine on the west end also...

Cliff Wagenbach

There are less big open expances of water on the West End then on the East End.

Cliff

DougSpringBay

Hey Basscatcher,

Sorry about being tardy on the reply. Been puttin' in the hours.

Fishing is pretty steady during that period. Walleyes are usually on a lindy/crawler bite. Muskies will always go for a bucktail, and northerns for spinnerbaits (WHITE).

The bass are a good bite then as well. Senkos's are probably one of the best baits that time of year. As for the wind, it can be an issue on any body of water. But given my choice on a windy day, Big Bay is the last place I want to be. Wake-em-up can get windy as well. However there are a lot of bays and Islands here in the west end and the water is smaller. You can usually get out of the wind and catch something. Hope that helps.

Doug

HansB

By late August all of the fish have pretty much moved to their winter homes east of Oak Narrows. No point in coming to the west end at all.

eyepatrol

Should I be smelling sarcasm there? smirk.gif

Already booked my trip...I'll be on the WEST end! grin.gifgrin.gif

Can't wait to get up there (Doug), relax, enjoy the scenery and do some fishing!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• gimruis
      That's quite the mixed bag!
    • gimruis
      I'm one of those every Tom, Dick, and Harry's.  And I can tell you with 100% positivity that I'm not out there making noise, stinking up the woods, or pushing everything off its normal pattern.  You just generalized every gun hunter into the same group, including me.  I don't make noise, I cover up my scent, and I don't leave my stand at lunch time to go in and push everything off its normal pattern, Wanderer.  Yes, I know hunters like that too but most of the hunters I know aren't like that.  In fact, very few are.  And I can tell you that there are some idiot archery hunters because I know them.  They sling arrows around at 50 yards trying to down deer without practicing which is completely preposterous.   I think what Fins n Feathers is trying to say that technology has advanced our sport to be more efficient.  I do agree that the younger generation is definitely more lazy and less devoted, not only in hunting/fishing but in life generally (that's another topic for another day).  I for one would like to use something more efficient.  If it results in a higher kill rate, better accuracy, and less wounded deer, I'm for it.  If you don't want to use it, then don't.  If you don't want to fish with 10 inch high definition sonar and GPS screens in your boat, then don't.  But just because someone else is using technology to be more efficient doesn't mean its illegal or unethical.  His example of an open sighted 30-30 versus a 300 scoped mag is a great example.    
    • AlwaysFishing23
      I appreciate all your input. I went to Mills yesterday as their starting to put some stuff out. Looked at the hard side gun case and yep I like the protection and price but it’s very big for me I think. I then looked at the clam single sided locker I liked the xtra storage. But your still having to stack rods and it’s not really that rigid. Most of my broken rods came from rods being tangled and stacked and not from being crushed. That being said they had the frabil rod safe. I really liked this one but only downside is it doesn’t hold in line reels that well as it’s not tall enough. So I think I’m going to end up going with a hard sided case. Looking at either the otter, scheels case or similar. If I ever want to buy A TUCR I need something to really protect my setups. I’ll jusg ah e to deal with brining a small tackle bag for tackle and extra stuff. I did look at the flambeau box Rick mentioned and I liked the size and extra storage but it would be a tight fit in my flip over if it would even fit. Anyone have have any experience with the otter or similar hard sided style cases? The scheels case says it’ll hold 4-8 but the otter only 4. Even though it’s bigger I think it would hold 8 no problem.
    • leech~~
      Dang, pulled the battery and put her in storage just last week or that sounds like fun. With all this wet weather it has really put me behind on getting all the fall chores done before hunting season and the winter hits and I need get the sled and ice stuff ready.  I had breakfast at Our Place just this morning coming down from Ely and was thinking of all the rides I have done in that area the last few years.  Lets try to set up a ride-trout outing next spring. 🙂
    • eyeguy 54
      River??  
    • leech~~
      Holy craap. You have one heck of a Duck blind out there! 😅
    • FishinCT
      Fishing Friday and Saturday was a dramatic shift. Seems the west wind got them going. Found a reef on Friday that was loaded up with fish and they were hungry. Fished it for a few hours before losing the battle to the cold. 3 pig smallies up top in 18-20 feet, 3 keeper walleyes between 16-18" and one 25" on the sides of the reef to the transition in 24-30 feet, and 2 jumbos off the transition in the mud at 32 feet. Also lost a BIG fish--the kind that your heart sinks when it comes off the line.    Saturday was more of the same. Biting a little lighter but we managed 6 walleyes from 15-19" in between the rain and getting blown off the lake. Could've easily limited if not for some "miscues"   Did try a little bit of trolling close to dark but only picked up a small muskie. Lots of guys out trolling all weekend but I'm not sure if they were going for walleyes or muskies. Interested to know if anyone on here was one of those guys and will give a report.    Wish I was starting my trip now instead of sitting at home. I think this is going to be a phenomenal week of fishing now that the weather is going to stabilize and warm up. Best of luck to everyone the rest of the year and stay safe. Saw some of the biggest waves I've seen on vermilion with the wind last week. Can get hairy pretty quickly out there
    • Wanderer
      We saw some late birds today also in west central MN.  The beans looked horrible and most corn was still in.  In 2 hours of driving I only saw three corn fields being combined each way.   We saw birds and got some roosters.  About 30% mature to 70% juveniles, not counting those late birds that didn’t fly well.  Birds seemed really jumpy today - odd for opener.  Flushing wild like late season.   Man, my pheasant legs ain’t what they used ta be! 😨
    • outdoor1
      I was wondering if raps at 2 mph would work now. Will the fish still chase them down when the water temps are in the low 40s?
    • Wanderer
      Got a tailgait shot for ya from today.       😊