• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Holeshot Hogwash?

Ufatz

Question

I need a clear, well reasoned and rational description of (a) what a hole-shot is and (B) why is it a fixation in so many minds? I have analyzed this manuever and the only conclusion I reach is that someone is convinced it is a quick way to get on step and into plane.

Is the REAL reason a showboat grandstand move aimed at displaying a guys testosterone overload or can you guys convince me I NEED to push my engine from zero rpms to maximum rpms in one second? Safety?

17 answers to this question

Hole shot is how fast your boat goes from "0" to being on plane. If you have a great hole shot, good for you, but then you are giving up mph in the top end. The right combo is one that gets the job done out of the hole and you make use of your top end RPMs and a couple more mph's.

it is a big thing with a bass boat. unlike a V bottom boat, that will kind of push it self up on plane, a bass boat has to be forced up on plane by getting the nose out, and on top of the water. otherwise those babies will plow terribly! with a V style one plays with the trim for speed or water conditions. with a bass boat; you first have to get it up, then you adjust for speed or water conditions.

It is not a testosterone overload display.

Whe a boat is on plane it will travel much easire on water, use less power and fuel and crate less wake.

Many hulls now are developed to achieve low speed plane, aluminum hulls are on top of this since they are lighter than glass.

Delmuts has perfect example, if you try these bass boats you will understand what it means, they just point at the sky and plow forever if you cannot get them on plane quickly.

Acceleration can have a factor, and it's also a matter of sales, same way you prefer a V8 gas pickup than same truck with a 4 cyl diesel, it will be quicker, but with higher fuel consumption, you don't need a V8 to pull, gears are made for this, look at semi trucks.

Quote:

displaying a guys testosterone overload

What wrong with the testosterone boast? Why climb a mountian? Why go to the moon? Why have an awsome hole shot? Because we can. If you have never been in a bass boat you would not understand. If you can not get out of the hole then you will be plowing water and waisting gas. The bow will stick up out of the water and you can not see where your going. Its that simple. laugh.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Its just a term that helps when describing a boats performance. When I take off I never crack the gas, I'll gradually throttle up till I get on plane and onto a good cruising speed. I then throttle back down to maintain that speed. I don't want or need my outboard or inboard running at WOT and max RPMs. I cruise, it saves on gas and it saves on engine wear.

If you're on big water big waves, where you're riding the waves up and down and doing about 10 mph because that's all the conditions allow, you'll want all the hole shot and bow lift you can get. You power up the waves instead of plowing into them.

Otherwise, if you're pulling skiers or have a loaded down boat, more holeshot will get you on plane quicker and keep you there easier.

Plus what's wrong with being quick out of the hole when you want a testosterone boost?

Quote:

If you're on big water big waves, where you're riding the waves up and down and doing about 10 mph because that's all the conditions allow, you'll want all the hole shot and bow lift you can get. You power up the waves instead of plowing into them.

Well put; spoken like someone "who's been there".

Listen to PJ guys; I can tell you he knows where of he speaks. Because I have also "been there" and his statement above shows me that he understands the concept.

I have to admit, I am one of those bass guys.. I almost always set my boat up for a better holeshot than for top end. Many of our lakes are not that big, and I am not that big a speed freak.. but I do like to be on plane. Not only that, but its a safety issue I feel as well. When a boat is not on plane, the nose is up obstructing your view and the boat does not handle as well.

For me it's primarily a matter of safety. I want to get on plane as quickly as possible so that I can see what's going on around me, especially on crowded lakes where a jetski could go zipping by in front of me. Traveling on windy days with larger waves I want to get planed out quickly too so that I can read the waves. The other factors for having a good hole shot are secondary for me, such as pulling waterskiers, etc.

Okay fellas, you have convinced me there are a few occasions for rapid throttle up. However, I have fished with bass guides and we didn't try to JUMP out of the water, we quickly but smoothly powered up to plane and backed off to cruise. Making a take off on floats you power up smoothly but quickly onto step for your takeoff run. I quickly but smoothly power up my 115 Yami and then throttle back to a reasonable cruise. I NEVER run any engine at full throttle-not neccessary. I seldom have engine problems. I will grant you the use of the Hole Shot move on occassion. It is, after all, YOUR engine. However in all honesty I still believe most of the time its grandstanding and I regret that so many begining boaters seem to feel this maneuver is required.

Now....get out there and slam those throttles open! HA!!

Pure and simple, safety. With the smaller outboards, say a 25 hp testosterone is a non-issue. When your fighting 4 to 6 foot waves in a 16 foot boat on a big lake you want all the power you can get as fast as you can get it.

Quote:

Two days of running these conditions in a low water year really tests you and machine. When you have to power away from the stumps coming down the backside of those waves you want everything JUST RIGHT!

Not to mention if you use your boat recreationally, you need a good hole shot to pull a skier, tuber, or wakeboarder out of the water, or they're going to be drinking the lake.

EVER FISH TOURNAMENTS? ESPECIALLY ONES WITH A SHOT-GUN START? ITS NICE TO BE THE FIRST ONE TO THE HONEY HOLE. ALL THE OTHER REASONS LISTED ABOVE ARE RIGHT-ON. IF YOU TOURNAMENT FISH BIG WATER, AND YOU NEED TO RUN SAY 15+ MILES TO YOU FAVORITE HOLE, ITS NICE TO BE ABLE TO GET THERE IN A HURRY AND SPEND MORE TIME FISHING AND LESS TIME CRUISING. AS FOR WOT, NOT A GOOD IDEA ON OPTI, OK ON HPDI, E-TEC, AND 4-STROKES. EFI ENGINES, 2 OR 4 STROKES HAVE A REV LIMITER SO YOU CAN'T OVER REV THEM AND BLOW 'EM UP. OPTI POWER HEADS HAVE HAD A PROBLEM STANDING UP TO LONG TERM WOT. IF YOU STOP BY A FLW WALLEYE TOUR CAMP SOMETIME THIS SPRING, YOU WILL SEE A LOT OF OPTI'S TORN DOWN. OTHER THAN THAT, OUTBOARDS ARE BUILT WITH THE HOLE SHOT IN MIND AND GOOD DURABLE PERFORMANCE AT WOT. grin.gif HAVE FUN. IF YOU CAN'T PUT TWO FISTS IN THE WIND ON A BIKE, THE NEXT BEST IS THE WIND IN YOU HAIR SKIMMIN' ACROSS A LAKE. grin.gif

You're a little "off" in a couple of your comments.

First, Optis were notorious for powerhead problems in the 200+ hp motors in the early 2000's. All of the smaller Optis (up to 175 hp) have been extremely reliable motors ever since they came out, and since the early 2000's even the big Optis have been extremely reliable.

Second, isn't it a bit of a stretch to sing durability and reliability praises of the E-Tec right now, since it's only been around a couple years at the most and some of the HPs aren't even available until this year?

Outboards were designed to run at WOT. Doesn't mean you have to run them there, and if you back off on the throttle you'll save a lot of fuel, but as long as you have the right prop so you're not over-revving your motor you won't hurt your motor by running it WOT.