• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baetis (BWO)

WxGuy

Has anyone ran across many baetis hatching in their fishing travels locally?

No specific areas need to be mentioned, but just wondering if you've seen more than a sporadic mayfly or two.

I saw a few in SE MN 2 Saturdays ago, but only a handful and I didn't see any fish rising to emergers or duns.

Last Thursday, March 16, I saw a few on a W. Central Wisconsin stream. It had snowed hard earlier that day and the air temperature was hovering right around 32 (I ocasionally had ice in the guides of my rod). They are tough little creatures!

A few weeks ago I came across a mild hatch in west central Wisconsin. I noted several brown sipping them up. My friend tied on a light hendrickson and pulled up a few. Perhaps the trout tought it was a BWO.

Saw some on a western Wisconsin stream last weekend sunday. Fish were rising, but I think they were taking the midges which were more prevelant. Stomach contents showed midge larva.

Makes me want to tie up some hair winged BWO instead of the hackled duns in my box now. Wonder if that would be a better imitation for the BWO that are just sitting on the surface drifting.

what about a bwo cdc emerger? those should ride pretty solid in the film. you could also fish it as a cripple if you wanted as well.

That'd be a good one DH. You can do a web search for a fly called the Shillinglaw Emerger if you're looking for a recipe. I've got a few tied in bwo colors (olive-gray) with CDC in size 18 primarily.

The BWO I was observing where sitting on the top of the water with their wing in an upright position. They weren't breaking the surface of the water at all. Maybe the hairwing wouldn't be the best imitation if the body of the hairwing breaks the surface of the water. I might just have to get used to tying duns. tongue.gif

I have read good things about the Shillinglaw Emerger pattern also. I have a few other BWO emerger patterns I was going to give a try this spring. Unfortunately I'm running out of room in my boxes for all the variations and stages of insects!

I like your quote Wx.