• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wheel Bearings

lawman

Question

How often do trailer wheel bearings need replacing. I have a five yr old 2000lb Karavan trailer with the "Sure Lube" system on it. The bearings were hand packed and seals replaced last May. Service tech said the bearings were OK. I have 20,000 miles on the trailer.

9 answers to this question

As long as your bearning have no pites and have not ridged the races, caused by their being set too loose, you can run them.

I would agree with efgh. If the bearings are clean and un-pitted than you should be good to go. I am curious about your “sure lube” system? Is that a liquid system or is it just a different name for the bearing buddy used for regular bearing grease? The reason I ask is that you stated you had your bearings “packed” and from what I have heard and read about the liquid systems is that you cannot mix them with regular bearing grease. Just curious… Thanks!

Its like a bearing buddy system but it lubes the hub from inside to out. I found ou the hard way you can break that rear seal easily.

I got that same system on my tracker trailer. The trailer is a 93 and it has about 65 thousand miles on the same bearings. I inspect them every year and manually repack every other year. That is a good system but like you said don't pump so much grease through or you will blow out the back seals.

I have that same system and was just woundering what is too much.. How do you know when its full before breaking the seal? I just bought the greese today and I am now scared of breaking the seal and im going to pool 4 in the morning. I have only used the trailer last summer!

Thanks, LovenLifeGuy

I have a tracker too. I asked the service guy about doing a bearing job and he said that I shouldn't have to as long as I kept up with adding new grease each season and during the season and I haven't got any sand in the grease. Haven't had any noticeable problems with the wheels. It's been going on 5 years now. I am now thinking of having one done just to see how they are doing.

If you use the bearing buddy product or any other similar factory products and don't know how much is to much. Watch the spring tension on the bearing buddy While filling them, if you do over fill them and the seal does rupture. The inner wheel hub will get real nasty with grease.

I dont't personnly trust these products, so I mannually pack my bearings ever spring, only takes a few minutes, versus many hours stranded along side the road. A good sign if your bearings are shot is you will hear a very distinct howling sound comming from your trailer when traveling, mostly at slower speeds whith your window down. A good rule of thumb "when in dought throw it out" better safe than sorry.

Bearings should be checked and repacked every time they are in water. We all know that ain't happening. The problem is seals are made to keep the grease in not to keep water out. When I get a new trailer I repack the bearing right away. Then hit the buddy with a shot of grease after each trip into water. Check them and repack them in the fall and you probably won't be buying bearings and races in the spring.