• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

So has anyone been out in the last few days? I am just looking for an update. I will be out again soon just wanting to know if things are improving. Since the weather seems to be on this warming trend smile.gif. Hopefully we can get 50's and some rain soon. That would be sweet.

Catch ya later

Timbow

No rain til after the 1st please. Dont want the Rainy River turning into chocolate milk til then. grin.gif

Fishing is spotty but seems to be getting better. Was out a few days ago and got 2 Coho and 1 nice Looper. Crawler and marshmellow took them all.

Thanks Northlander

For those of us not lucky enough to go to the Rainy I say I want rain now. No boat and a wedding in June have made this fisherman a dry-liner way to long.

Timbow

Oooooh, Timbow. Congrats on the coming nuptials. Buy a boat quickly after the ceremony.

Once the kids start coming, the two-seater car will go, the extra other stuff will go, but if you've got a boat before the first Jr. comes, you can always lobby your new Secretary of the Interior that you need to retain the boat, even in these trying budget times, to pass on proper values to your next generation.

Begin your lobbying immediately. grin.gif

As a new husband, you may be the Secretary of Defense, Homeland Security, Agriculture (if you like to garden and because you have to mow the lawn), and Transportation, but the Secretary of the Interior is the real ruler. Marriage has little to do with foreign policy. Domestic issues rule there, don't you know. Never met a Secretary of the Interior in that setting who didn't want to be President.

And one former Vice President likened his position to a "pitcher of warm spit." Yikes! blush.gif

Uh, boy, guess I digressed a bit. But then, I've gone through a few Secretaries of the Interior. They hate me now, but what I did I did for the sake of my country! crazy.gif

Take Stfcatfish's advice and do it now. He knows what he is talking about he has had lots of experience in this area. wink.gifgrin.gif

Only thing I will say is be the President!!! tongue.gif

Northlander, it looks like you jumped on the mallow bandwagon as well. It seems over the last couple years the crawler marshmallow combo has produced 90% of my fish from shore. I might be out tommorrow morning early for one last try before the fly rod comes out.

Hey Im no fool! When I see something that looks good and it works Im not to proud to bite on it and put it to use. I used the smaller ones because thats what I had. Color didnt seem to matter.

I have also used the smaller ones and done well, don't think size or color matters all that much. Hey! I just realized i hit 1000 posts! Just 100,000 more to catch northlander. grin.gif

Hey guys, just wanted to let ya' know that BD110 and I are planning on being somewhere on the shore this coming Monday morning. I'm hoping to break my looper-less streak. Here's hoping the weather and wind will cooperate on Monday.

Brian

Brian I wish I could be there but I will be on the Rainy River Mon and Tues. Good luck and Ill let ya know how we do.

I've always put a marshmallow in my spawn sacs and have always used a worm blower on crawlers to get them to float. A marshmallow with a crawler is a great idea, no wonder why I didn't think of that. smirk.gif It's been a couple years since I've shore fished for loopers so maybe its the norm there, but it's new to me. Any special way you guys rig this or is it just simply thread on marshmallow then crawler?

Just slide tha marshmellow up to the eye of the hook then put the crawler on as usual and put a little air in it. Colors dont seem to matter too much as far as I have found.

Thanks again Quick. Ill also be out at the French early and probably til 1ish.

Quote:

Hey guys, just wanted to let ya' know that BD110 and I are planning on being somewhere on the shore this coming Monday morning. I'm hoping to break my looper-less streak. Here's hoping the weather and wind will cooperate on Monday.

Brian

Let us know where you are at on Monday, We'll likely be out dragging sticks on the North Shore just want to make sure we stay clear of you guys and your ultra cast downrigger rods. grin.gif

What time were you planning on heading out on Monday? Think you'll need any help bonking those buggers on the head? grin.gif

I think you know the answer to that smile.gif

Depends what I get done on Sunday on the rigging end of things.

Quote:

Let me know if you need any help.

Count me in if you need any help as well.

I just got word...no work for tomorrow ....Ill be perched some where along the shore ....prolly start at the Lester and work my way up .... since gas went down a few pennies today I can afford more bait.....woo hooo ...with light north winds forecast for tomorrow should be comfortable by the lake ...I better pack a lunch

Good luck Randoid, let me know how you do, I plan o getting out on the river down in La crosse for a few eyes if I can shake this cold I have contracted AGAIN!

stfcatfish

Thank a ton!

Everybody seems really gung ho over the upcoming event. I can pretend to be the dictator as much as I want, but I know where the decisions are made. As for the boat... We can safely say that it is in the works. I have been told that we need to be stable first(by the future Mrs. Timbow). I know that it is her idea of stable (whatever that means), but thats O.K. because I have PLAN B!! I am 22 and have been packing money away into a small savings account. I been doing this a few years now. A couple of car repairs hit it hard, but all in all I should have a boat in the next year or so. That was my goal when I started school (UMD) as a graduation present to myself. So I got a year left and then its smooth cruisin on the lake. I am going to be out maybe today (friday) but definitely saturday. Look for the guy with the Camo ball cap with a Tomahawk Scout Reservation Stocking Cap over it and come say hi. OH YEAH! I will also be the one with all the fish!!! HAHA

TIMBOW cool.gif

What a beautiful day to be on the shore. Tried some of my favorite spots but all I could manage to catch was 1 looper and several Coho misses. Dang thigs will saw down a crawler half with the best of the perch wont they?

Oh well maybe tonight after my meeting. Cant waste these type days.

I don't think i can resist going out today, just too nice outside. I think I'll leave Duluth around 2 if anyone wants to meet down there. Northlander, if you head back down give my phone a call.

Sunday 3/26/06

It's Just before 3:00am I'm getting ready for an early morning trip up to the French. If you see my truck stop by and say hi.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

BD100...I did see your truck ...but had no clue as to where you were fishing ..I was just below the steps near your truck....not too much action while i was there (5-11) did see one guy pull in a looper at 10 but thats about it Hope you had some luck

LoonASea,

I was to your left as you look at the lake. I was just bast the tree that jets out from the bank along the ground. I was the only one past that point that landed a fish during the morning. I left the spot around 11:20am or so. I was able to land a Coho around 6:45am. There was one other person between us that landed a Coho that I saw. I don't remember the time.

If you see my truck again I usually try and fish the same area. I wear Black Carharts and have been wearing a Northland tackle ball cap. Stop by and say hi.

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Good to know Tom ...Ill come say hi next time.... btw >>you have a nice truck !!!!!....I was the guy wearin the blue ice armor parka till it warmed up any way

next time

Randy laugh.gif

Well it's a rainy Thursday and a day of rest. I've had four mornings stright at the French. I had a fairly good day on Tuesday and paid for it yesterday. I have not seen or heard much of the Duluth fourm crew as of late. I guess everyone is waiting for the report that things are going hot and heavy. I'm going to lay off the shoreline until the middle of next week. It's time to head back to work for a few days.

Well just thought I would drop a post and see what others have been up to. I know that a few have been out on the big lake trolling and some have been out of town. Has anyone been hitting the shore after work as of late. Should be able to fit that in a little better after Sundays time change. (Spring Ahead)!!!!

Take care,

Tom (BD110)

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum and also new to this type of fishing. I was wondering if any of you veterans could give me any advice reguarding baits, natural vs. artificial, and also the technique used while fishing,(set lines, casting, ect.) Heading up to see my brother in Duluth this weekend to wet some lines so any information would be absolutely appreciated. Thanks guys and good luck fishing!!!!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to the forum JD

Theres been quite a bit posted opver the years on looper gear and techniques. STFcatfish has compiled a lot of those threads into a looper guide. Looper Guide

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

BD, I've been hesitant about hanging up the ice rods but I think I'll be making the switch soon and dust off the shore rods and give her a go next week.