• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

transducers

walleyewacker

Question

I am going to stick an x85 on my puddle jumper and I was wondering if I would be better off with a thru hull or a skimmer. I guess I am not familiar with the thru hulls. Do you have to seal these to the bottom? Would a skimmer work on a trolling motor mount if I already have a vexilar puck on it? Just lookin for advice, thanks.

12 answers to this question

tranducers is there a way that say eagle tranducers and lowarence can be used on the same unit? if the plug works will the unit work? is there a way to interchange units? thanks castindad

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

If you look at lowrance's site you'll see their recommendations to properly mount the thur-hull transducer and yes you have to make the hull and transducer as one, meaning getting rid of all air pockets between the hull and ducer with a substance that will allow transmission of the pulses.

Yes you can mount a skimmer on a trolling motor but if you have have a Vex puck already mounted, then I wouldn't try and mount both.

Is there a reason you don't want to mount the ducer on the transom? I wouldn't mount a thru-hull ducer unless I was using the boat in places where it stand a good chance of getting banged or fouled from sitting in the water for long periods of time. You said this is on your puddle jumper. The best solution might be getting a portable pak and use a suction cup for the ducer.

Thru hull have to be bonded to the boat bottom... vexilar started offering a alumaducer last year to shoot through aluminum hulls... I think that's the only brand that is approved for use through alluminum.

You could mount it to the trolling motor with the vexilar puck, but I think you are going to see a lot of interference between the two and wouldn't advise it.

Quote:

tranducers is there a way that say eagle tranducers and lowarence can be used on the same unit? if the plug works will the unit work? is there a way to interchange units?

I'm pretty sure that as long as the plugs fit you should be in business. On equivalent models for eagle and lowrance they both use the same transducer, so you should be in good shape.

marine_man

castindad. I believe the eagle and lorance plugs are different.

marine_man, we must have been typing at the same time.

Quote:

marine_man, we must have been typing at the same time.

Sure looks like it Frank...

In regard to the transudcer plugs... I'm pretty sure they're the same... at the very least they used to be. You could order a LEI (lowrance /eagle) transudcer and use it on either model since they had the same plugs...

marine_man

I guess there is no reason not to put it on the transom, I guess the portable packs were a little spendier then just getting a transducer. How else would I put a skimmer on without drilling holes in the boat? I also cannot find a portable unit for an x85, I have only seen the packs for newer models.

IS THERE A WAY TO ADAPT THEM ? MAYBE? CHEATERS OF SOME SORT? THANKS CASTINDAD

What are you trying to do casindad?

I took a look at LEI's website (who sells accessories, transducers, brackets, etc) for Lowrance and I'm fairly certain eagle and lowrance use the same transducer. For example, the same transducer can be used on the X-71 as the Eagle Fishmarck 160... if you go to their website and look up the model locator you have it'll list the transducers that will work for your unit... cross reference that with the transducer you're trying to use, or at the very least the transducer from what model you're trying to use to see if it'll work.

As I said before... if the plugs fit, or are the same there's a 98% change it'll work...

marine_man

Eagle has an old and new style plug. Most of their new sounders come with the power cord integrated into the transducer plug. That plug has a compression fit with no locking tab.

Like Marine man said if both sounders have the same type plug then it will work, it just depends on what you have. What model Lowrance and eagle do you have?

walleyewacker, use a suction cup mount for the ducer. You can mount the sounder on anything like a old blue box.

walleyewacker, I don't know if you have an open boat or not. What I did with a 14 foot open boat was use a suction cup mount and mount the transducer inside the boat at the stern about 1/8 inch off the bottom and then put enough water in the boat to keep the bottom of the transducer in the water. It shoots through the bottom of the boat and works great. smile.gif