• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Ritz

Do you guys catch and release, or do you guys actually eat the fishes ?

Ritz

For the people that fishes this area, do you guys eat the fishes or just catch and release? What types of fish do you usually eat and how often? I am not sure if I feel safe enough to eat the fish from this area, so Im just wondering... confused.gif

Dave B

Pool 2 is 100% catch and release year round for walleye, sauger and bass. It is ILLEGAL to harvest fish these from here.

Pool 3 is open to harvest, I dont see the water being any different than Red Wing.

I wouldnt worry about my health having a few meals of smaller fish from either of these waters. Personally, I dont care as much for the taste of river fish.

Maybe people eat cats, crappie, pike, or just about everything out of Pool 2.

EBass

Dave, I think Pike are also protected in Pool2. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's Walleyes, Saugers, Smallmouth, Largemouth and Pike that are C&R.

However, there are good kitties in that pool.

As far as eating fish in the metro, I've ate crappies from Medicine and Lake Sara, walleyes from Tonka and never started to glow. I don't eat much fish though.

I'll eat fish from Pool4 or Pool3. As long as that's not your stable diet, you should be OK. Check the regs on consumption.

MilleLacsEyes

I don't eat fish from the Mississippi River. I will eat fish from the St. Croix River.

packman

SO HOW DO U KNOW THAT U ARE NOT EATING A FISH FROM THE MISSISSIPPI WHEN CATCHING THEM ON THE ST.CROIX

MilleLacsEyes

Packman, I don't know if I am eating walleyes from the Mississippi River. I do not eat them not often. I only fish the river in the spring and fall.

Maashkinoozhe

Just checked the regs... In the Mississippi River Valley (incl pool 2)the continuous C and R season applies to largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, walleye and sauger only. Regular inland water rules apply for pike, muskie, white bass, yellow bass. As for eating fish out of the Mississippi, I haven't done it yet, but I'm not ruling it out in the future. I definitely wouldn't eat anything bigger than 3 or 4 pounds, though, as big fish tend to accumulate toxins (PCB, mercury). 50+ years ago, there were almost NO fish on this stretch, so eating wouldn't have even been a consideration.

Dave

Ritz

Yeah, I dont think I would consider eating fishes in this area either.... Pcb's and mecury can stay in the body and do harm! Not really worth even taking the risk, even if it is only a risk....

EBass

OK so pike are unprotected. Thanks for the update.

Dave B

Unprotected, but the regular closed season until mid May applies.

EBass

This just in. Last weekend we went to Pool 4 and kept and ate 2 saugers and a walleye. YUCK! They tasted real fishy. I know it's fish, but the Mille Lacs walleye taste way better. All I can say is try it for yourself. This is my .02 so eat em up if you like. On Pool 4 though.

Kab Dreamin

I grew up in central Illinois on the Illinois River and we kept a few sauger once to try eating and had a similar reaction. I guess we were just too spoiled after eating walleye from the Canadian border. They tasted like mud which makes sense since the Illinois River used to be so muddy you could almost plow it. Since then, I stick to the lake fish.

Crawlerman

I'll eat fish off the St. Croix, but there is NO WAY I'm eating ANYTHING off of the Minnesota or Mississippi rivers

Dave B

The DNR has the same recommendations for Pool 4 and the Croix. Lake Vermilion and many northern lake have the same restrictions as well.

EBass

They just tasted real fishy. That's all I know. But it's cool. Now I know and they will go back.