• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have gotten into a day crappie bite a few times where the crappies come in just below the ice, like maybe a foot down. Every time I have done this the crappies were really nice. Has anyone else gotten into this? What I can't remember is if this was a time of year thing or was it because all the snow had melted from the top of the ice. Just looking for opinions and best recollections. I just finished watching the World Baseball Classic. It's not like I was awake this late thinking about the bite.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dahitman44

• WigglinMyWorm

• DEADhead

• walleyes12

I am a baseball fan, but you must be a baseball freak. grin.gif

Good for you! -- If the US team was in it I would have watched too.

As far as crappies during the day -- I have never seen them that close to the top of the ice. I have seen sunnies that close many times, but never hit a crappie that close.

Sounds like a new technique.

Were you using a vexilar? Did they just show up that close? I have had them chase a lure all the way to the top -- Is that what happened?

Connection????

I do seem to catch Tullibees fairly close to the ice -- maybe that means something.

I too have gotten into the crappies a couple of times right below the ice... Nice crappies too if I do remember...

In fact I think I was with you on one of those trips cicada, laying on the ice watching down the holes...

I made it out to middle corm. today with the intentions of going back into nelson......first set of holes i drilled on corm. got me about 30 crappies.....all 8-12 inches nothing huge....second set of holes was the same reult with some decent bluegills mixed in.....I kept a handful of the smaller ones to make a meal......what a blast....they were super aggressive.....was in about 10ft of water and they were suspended between 5-8ft.....a couple other guys showed up and they caught some smaller sunfish and crappies to with a few keepers mixed in.....great day bite.

Sheesh...and here I drove right over them on Sunday to get to Nelson. frown.gif Then worse yet went to little C. to get the stuff scared out of me when a muskrat came up out of the hole! shocked.gif

Where ya headin next?

Yep, PRFISHER we were on West Silent. That was the first time I had that happen. I thought it was a fluke. Last year, I think it was in March, we ran into the same thing on Lizzie. We were in 10-12 feet of water with some weeds to within three or four feet of the bottom of the ice. I didn't get limits but they all ran about 13 inches long. Dahittman, no I didn't use the vexlar. With them that close to the top, the cone angle would only be a few inches wide and they'd have to almost brush against the transducer. One thing that happened both times was you had to watch your jig. The crappies would cruise in and suck your jig in and spit it out in almost one motion without the bobber moving. Last year we got on the lake at my aunt and uncles place then had about a 200 yard walk. Last summer they sold and moved to Henning. I know they would let us park and walk from their place this year but it's too far to walk from Henning to Lizzie.

Cicada we used to pick up a couple out on lizzie back in the day fishing sunfish... My parents still have a place out there but I'm guessing it would be long walk it is on the end of poss beach... Henning that would be a much closer walk for me...

I have also gotten into these bigger crappies down in the Underwood area. Like you stated it is a site fishing exercise they seem to be on the move almost like a tullibee. I think a lot of it is that they are being chased by pre spawn monster northerns....

Wiggle --

Awsome report. Makes me want to get out there. I wish I could -- too much work to do. Catch a few for me!!!

It's going to be sunday before I get out again......I'm going to let you in on a secret an old timer told me.....look for the clear ice where the fish houses use to sit...the water warms up there faster and the fish love it....works this time of year for me.

i caught one crappie that was decent and two sunfish that were decent but the rest of the fish were pretty small even the crappies.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again.]

I only caught one alright crappie and no sunfish worth keeping. Good luck everyone

wow guys...thanks for your honesty. I really like fishing that lake, but I would like good reports also. How thick was the ice? Might head out there this week if I can get away...

The ones on the ice were small sunfish....you maybe should see what was in my sled before you make false accusations....evidently you were not there for the 3 hours before and were only there for a half hour to 45 minutes....

Anybody that has read any of my other posts know when I have a bad day fishing.. I SAY I HAVE A BAD DAY FISHING..If you think what I say is false that is fine....I don't need to post information...I do it cause I think it is helpful not to look like a pro fisherman.

If it wasn't so hostile, I'd keep to myself, but....

I've got a friend who fishes Middle often, and his reports are consistent with wigglins. Maybe 12" was a little egsagerated, but hey, Its fishin!:)

-I keep my fish in a bucket. I don't want other people seein what I'm catchin!

lets try to stay out of jail wink.gifgrin.gif

ok guys, agree to disagree before we have problems. Wigglin, thanks for sharing. Not sure why you guys wanted to point this out, but lets all try to play nice...please?

Hey walleyes...do you drive that old subaru? if so, i've seen you out there...trying to change the subject! wink.gif

Yes I did keep a couple of smaller sunfish the bigger ones were full of eggs why would I be stupid and keep them.....Keep all the bigger fish and all that will be left is smaller ones......My limit of crappies was already caught why would I have anymore on the ice...again your were there for 45 minutes when I was there....

Just2fish- no I drive a buick century. I am just a poor college student right now! That car has got me 2 and from many many lakes. Needs it tires aligned alot from beating it across some of those lakes. So is anyone heard any good sunfish or crappie bites going on! I heard prairie lake is getting alot of sunfish but I really don't know the size of any of them. I also heard for crappies that little corm. and possibly Franklin are producing, but again that just rumor that I have heard. Any info would be great.

The 8 - 9" crappies were biting at little C. but not the last time I was out there. For the past couple months they were up north but tough to get.

If I had more time I'd hit Nelson some more. The crappies I got there last week were bigger then little C. and I saw hundreds of gills on the aqua vu 1 - 2' under the ice. They'd swim right up to the lens and look in it. grin.gif I sat on them and caught many for an hour but then they disappeared. Not much for size but it was fun. smile.gif

Hey Wiggle...keep posting! I enjoy reading your posts. smile.gif

I thought i would participate a little because i cannot let all you guys have fun and then i am left out of it. I am goig to respond to the day time crappie bite question as well as the recent bickerig that has been going on.

As for the Bickering about the report. Anyone can post a report on here, it can be totally true, it can be totally incorrect, really we dont know. Now I believe Wiggle becuase i heard that the lake is producing some fish. But you can look at it as people are posting this information it is up to the readers whether to go out and try the lake or to go somewhere else. ITS FISHING, you can hammer them one day and not catch anything the next, that is how it goes. Ok i am done with this subject and now on to the other question.

The day crappie bite really picks up for me here later on in the year. Now my only problem is not targeting the fish in shallow enough water, like last week i was still targeting them in 22', and by no suprise i didn't catch any, and didn't mark anything either. I am hoping to make it out with the warm temps this weekend. Hopefully the fish COOPERATE. Thanks for reading and if you didn't read it, well, you didn't get this message.

Andrew Shae