• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's going Turkey hunting

strat-o-caster

Ok guy's who's going hunting and where. Since the first week is only 3weeks away I thought it would be fun to see where and when everyone will be hunting. Maybe catch up with some else hunting the same area and compare note's have lunch or just a beer at the end of the day!! I'll be hunting near Glenwood zone 412 the first week, helping my son get his the 4th week and heading to Wisc latter that week and hunting in Taylor county later in that week.... Strat

my 8 year old and i got drawn for may 7 to the 11. can't wait to get him out and try and get him a bird. we will be hunting 338 over by gotha.

Strat:

Great post.

My season starts in SE MN, calling for my uncle and cousin during season B. Then it's off to the Black Hills region for 4 days to try and kill a Merriams. When I come back I'll be hunting with my brother in Goodhue County, season E. Season F I'll be along with some shotgun hunters, calling and trying to get some good video. Seasons G&H I'll be with a few buddies as they try to lure some toms into bow range. I'll be calling videotaping for them if I can swing it.

One of these years I'm going to try and take an Osceola. That way, turkey season can start in March and end in late May.

Joel

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

My season starts with a Black Hills trip over easter weekend with my dad, daughter and a few freinds chasing Merriams. Then I hunt MN with my son for the 419D season. Should be a great spring! laugh.gif

Borch:

Glad to hear you're doing the Hills trip again. I knew you'd fit it in! Hopefully they've had all the snow they can take by now, and the latter half of April will be very spring-like in the Black Hills.

Good luck!

Joel

You just never know what you'll run into weatherwise in those hills. laugh.gif We had one spring where it had snowed 30"+ two days before we got there. The second day we were there it was 95 degrees with a foot of snow still on the north slopes and in the valleys. It was really weird weather. Although we worked a lot of birds that trip.

Up until mid-January they had fall like weather most of their winter. Turkeys should come through this winter in great shape.

One of these years I need to apply for a MN tag, but my season starts the last weekend of April in the Black Hills, then May 17th around New Richmond, WI.

I'm hunting season C (April 22-26) in area 346, between Lacrescent and Houston. Now I just need to decide if I am using the bow or gun.

Hi dudes,

I'm going on my first turkey hunt this year. I'm hunting

just south of Moorhead in area 420 in the first week of May.

I am heading down to Spencer,In to hunt my buddies uncles farm towards the end of April. 400 acres and plenty of birds with no other hunters around. This year I am going to try and take one with my bow since I got a blind. I might also try the MN bow hunt also if I have time. I forgot to put in for the regular season.

I have no idea where I'm hunting yet, but it is my goal to try to stick one with the bow. I scouted out a few areas I went to last year and found hardly any turkey sign in the fresh snow. I was very disappointed. I'm starting to run out of options and I'm bad at seeking out ne wplaces. I know little about turkeys as it is.

MNPurple...I think that legally you can only use a bow in the last 2 seasons. I'm hoping someone here will know for sure, but I thought archery was only allowed in those last 2 seasons.

Jnelson/Borch: This will be the first time in four year's that I havn't made it out to the Blackhills... "I'm going to miss them there hills this year" but I thought I'd give Wisc another chance and try something new.I like change once in awhile. Although I'm going try the Hills/Neb hunt next year, and try to get one in each state in a 6 day hunt!!!.... Strat

Going to start my turkey hunting year down in Oklahoma starting on the 6th of April.This will be my first try to take a Rio's which will finish out my grand slam.

Going to hunt the prairies of SD.starting on the 13th of April thru the 17th.Have April 27th thru May 1 down in zone 425 here in Mn. and then finish up in Wisconsin May 3 thru 7.Going to be one very busy turkey hunting year for me!

Hope my wife and job are still here when I get all done.

Paintbrush, Where in Wisc are you hunting?? Good luck on your Grand Slam!!... Strat

I will start out doing some scouting in Mn. and then head down to Missouri and hunt for a week with my son-in-law. I will be using a new Knight TK-2000 muzzleloader in Missouri for a change of pace. Then back to Mn. and do some filming while my son-in-law hunts. I did not get drawn and may try some archery hunting the late season if fishing is slow.

Powerstroke:

Archery is legal during any season if you put in for the lottery and were selected. However, if you did not put in, or were not selected, you can purchase an over the counter tag for the last two seasons in MN.

Joel

Strat:

My Hills hunt will be in Nebraska. You should do it this year!

Joel

Will be hunting 345 "C" around Chatfield. Hope to get one this year.Good luck to all

I'm starting my season 4 days early in Colorado chasing Merriams, then back to MN for 1st season. 2nd season I get to tag along with pops to see if I can call some in.

I CAN'T WAIT!!

May 3-7 here in WI, just east of L Pepin in da bluffs. The next season probably closer to home, going fishin the last season - nice with all the leftover tags.

Powerstroke,

Don't worry too much about the turkey sign yet. The birds are still flocked up. Once the flocks bust up and the tom distribute some there will likely be birds where there was last spring.

Strat,

My daughter and I just got our liscenses in the mail today. I'm pretty sure the 35" of snow they got out there in the past few days will be gone when I get there. But you never know when some new stuff will fall.

The Scenary out there makes the trip for me. You just can't beat it.

Strat: I hunt down in zone 2 around Stuben and Boscobel.Been going down there for the last 5 years now.

Hey borch I will be in the hills the same weekend as you. Where do you hunt out of? We will be staying in Hill City and hunting from there. I didn't make it last year due to a broken leg but I am excited to get back out there. And then I will be bowhunting the last 2 weeks of the MN season since I did not get drawn.

Quote:

Hey borch I will be in the hills the same weekend as you. Where do you hunt out of? We will be staying in Hill City and hunting from there. I didn't make it last year due to a broken leg but I am excited to get back out there. And then I will be bowhunting the last 2 weeks of the MN season since I did not get drawn.

We're staying in Custer just a stones throw from Hill City. We'll have to get together over a beverage or two. wink.gif

Sounds good to me. I'll look forward to it. Then maybe you can tell me the trick to getting a bird out there. You can shoot me an e-mail at elevatorgod at hotmail.com and figure out when and where. We stay a the Lodestone on the north edge of Hill City.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!! Quite on the turkey side of things.. Here we go guy's.. 2 more day's on work for me and I'm out of here..Is'nt andybody pumped up!!.. Strat

I am pumped up, but I have to wait til May 19th.

Did not get drawn so I was lucky enough to pull a surplus.

Long wait, but hope it is worth it.

I have to wait till May 8th. It's getting real difficult because i've seen several big toms struttin around in the feild i hunt.

Strat:

I sure am!

Are you hunting in MN for this season, or heading outstate?

Good luck if I missed you.

Joel

I hunt in Mn tommorow grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifand going to Wisc the second week in May... Good Luck everybody!!... Strat