• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnkota Vantage?

MIDNIGHT777

Question

I am going to put a transom mount trolling moter on my new rig I am ordering. Alumacraft Dominator 175 CS w/ 140 4 stk. I plan on putting wave wackers/whitecaps on. My question..........Is the Vantage worth the extra $400.00 over the Vector 3X. I have heard the splash guards get in the way of the levers on the Vector. Also heard sometimes the Vantage will get hung up on the transom. I am just looking to get some opinions, as this is a dream boat that I want to really turn out as everything I could ever ask for.

I plan on using it to back troll. Also maybe pull cranks since I dont think the outbaord will troll down slow enough.

Thanks, Matt

5 answers to this question

If your thinking about forward trolling I would put a bow mount on that big of a boat.Especially if your thinking about using it to troll fast enough for cranks all day.

Go 24 volt. I have the same size boat and have the 55# 12 volt and wish I had a 74#. Get the auto pilot with the hand set as well as foot board.

Midnight--Make sure that when you order your splashguards that they know exactly which troller you have, as the guards should be custom made for your set-up. I'm not too familiar with the Whitecaps, but the Wave Wackers are custom fit to the Vantage or Vector. The Vantage has angle adjustments to set up when it gets mounted. If properly set up they should never come close to hanging up on the transom. The Vector levers may need to have the rubber guards trimmed away from them for clearance, but this is no big deal either. I personally like the automatic up and down on the Vantage, but it's stricly personal preferance. Just choose the one you prefer and it should work out great. Good luck with your new rig and have fun. Greg

Check around to see if MK updated the Vantage. Many (well 3 or 4 outta 10 or so) Vantages have/had issues with shaft collars failing, allowing the power head to near fall of the boat....

I would hands down, without a doubt in my mind spend the extra for the vantage. I have a 1775 Lund Pro V (tiller model) with one on the back and it is by far one of the top 2 or 3 pieces of eqip. on my boat that I wouldn't be without. In my opinion it is a lot smoother when turning and just feels more rock solid. I have had mine since 2000 and have had no problems at all. You may end up adjusting the motor up or down on the mounting bracket to make sure that the when the motor is in the up position it is just above the bottom of the transom.

Thanks for the replies. I placed the order today and went with the Vantage 80.

Matt