• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Navionics Premium question..

chadly

Question

I have a new navionics Premium North chip. I was testing it today to get an idea of the detail. I was suprised to find out the west side of Lake Michigan and Kabetogama are not on the chart with depth or detailed information.

Does anyone have this chip and noticed the lack of information in those 2 areas?

I am 99% sure that Navionics rep that demo'd the chip for me at Cabelas was showing me data from the east side of Lake Michigan around Algoma.

9 answers to this question

I too picked up a New chip but have yet to install my graph to check it out. If Algoma isn't on their I will be bringing it back. I too was demo'd the Western Side of Lake Michigan and told that it would show contours 7 miles out from shore.

Could have been the fact that multiple cards were loaded on the unit I was looking at.

Anyone else have any info on this?

Ill check my chip after dinner and report back Cheffrey. I think its on there but you have to go to map data and find what region its in. I know its on my Lake Superior chip because Lota showed me where they were last year while sitting having a drink out in the garage last B-Day party. wink.gif

Well I looked on my H2Oc with the Navionics Premium North Chip in it and found Algoma and the Lake Michigan waters there. I had all the depths and markers etc. that I should have. Its in the Swi61.nv2 region. I havent been there but it looked real good to me.

So I guess the answer is yes Algoma is in that chip.

No problem man. All I ask in return is a good table and room for that Wild Game fead at the Grand Superior Lodge. grin.gif

Thanks. I am thinking I have an issue with the chip. I will get in touch with Navionics. Hopefully it will get worked out.

Cheers,

It may be your unit as well. I had a Expedition that wouldnt read the chip so I took it back and went with the H2Oc. Im glad I did the color is so easy to read.

I spoke with Navionics and they informed me the west area of lake Michigan by Algoma is not covered. They cover the area north of their. If I want that area I will have to buy the Gold Series for Great Lakes west.

I hope/don't think it is the unit. Its a humminbird 787c2 and all the other lakes I try to read are fine. Minnetonka, Prior, and Winne all have awesome 1 foot readings and the other lakes I fish are also on their.

It is kind of a hassel dealing with 2 mfg's on this like this.

Cheers,

Chad

Alright I have it figured out. It was the head unit. I went to humminbird.com and got a software update and everything is working fine.

The chip seems pretty good for the Algoma area. It does not have coutours far from shore but it allows you to see depth areas so if you are chasing salmon in 400 ft of water you will be able to see generally where the shelfs start to change.