• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How The Heck Do You Do It?

gunflint

My winter project is almost complete. New deck, carpeting, paint, storage, etc. All that's left is some small detail work, the numbers and some decals. What I want to know is how can you guys that spend tens of thousands of dollars on new boats stand getting them dirty. I look at the new carpet and I think to myself that I don't want a fish to touch it. I'm afraid if I see a slimey northern that's foul hooked and bleeding I'll find the closest land and beach him. It's got to be tough watching that pretty new boat get all yucked up the first few times. shocked.gif

I hear ya Gunflint when I bought my new boat 18 years ago I can still remember the first time when I took my then 7 year old nephew out in it, Crushed chips, spilled pop the carpet was a mess. But like everything it ages well, just take pride that you did it yourself and all the money you saved you can do it a few times over again if needed. I still have mine and I still baby it, the wife on more then one occurrence has asked if I could clean the den out with as much vigor as I clean the boat. As I heard the other day from a friend that bought his girlfriend a new leather skirt, she smells like a new car now!

What kind of boat do you have? I have done a similar project over the last few years with my boat. It seems I am always finding better ways to improve on the original. Adding a livewell, more storage, new carpet. It is fun having a project to work on during the winter months.

a car wash can be a friend!!!slime,coffee, and who knows what else! my boat gets wiped off right after it comes out of the water; it gets vacumed every once in a while, and waxed several times a year.

I have found that if you have a coffee spill or such that you can take some liquid detergent scrub it into the trouble spot let it stand fopr 3-5 minutes then hit the whole deck with the power washer. Cleans the carpet like brand new and sweeps all the pebbles, chips, leaves, dried minnows and such right towards the back of the boat for easy pick up with the wet dry vac!

Tunrevir~

Dan.

It's a 16 foot Alumarine, French company but I believe that they're made in Canada as alot of Canadian resorts have them.

I think that this is the last remodel that this old war horse will see. But having done it, I wouldn't shy away from fixing up the right replacement when the time comes.

Head out to either coast and ask that question and you'll likely get a strange look and a " why the heck would anyone wany CARPET in a FISHING boat??? Kind of makes sense if ya think about it, although all the boat manufacturers have us pretty conditioned to expecting carpet in boats round here.

I put a chunk of that clear plastic runner down and call it the Surgical Ward. It works really well. Plus, the fish seem to behave better knowing that trained surgeons are working on them...it seems to give them comfort. Never mind that I haven't received and hour of medical training in my life.

I go to the local carpet store and get some of their outdated sample displays that match the boat and put them down in the areas that get abused. When they get bad I throw them and put down new ones.

EJ

I am pretty particular about my stuff just like most of you. When something happens like that I always need to tell myself this: It's only a tool. It's only a tool. My boat is my tool to get me out fishing. My Truck is a tool to get me to the Lake. My...you get the idea. Makes those knicks and scratches seem much less important.

There's nothing like breaking in a new boat with fish slime, some blood, and ground in crawlers and worm bedding in the carpet after the first season, maybe a cigar bun in the carpet and tufts of dog hair everywhere. Then, it becomes a real fishing boat and something to be proud of.

My boat gets trashed with mud, sand, leaves, pine needles, smashed minnows, dead crawlers, fish slime, etc.and, then there is the road dirt that the outside and trailer pick up. I look at my boat as something to be used, although not abused. When I think of all the fun and the memories that I've experienced a couple of hours 5 or 6 times a year for cleaning is well worth it. My power washer takes care of the carpet grime and retores it to near new condition in short order. There are, however, two things that I will not allow in my boat and that is sunflower seeds or penuts as the shells seem to cement themselves to carpet.

• 2 weeks later...

gunflint - my solution was SNAP OUT CARPET.

My 17' Lund Fisherman had it when I bought it last year. I didn't think I needed it, but boy am I glad I have it now.

Well, you have to look at it like this- You bought it to use it. Now, I will be the 1st one to be out cleaning the truck, sled, trailers, ect and hate to see a scratch anywhere, but I bought the stuff to use it.

As far as carpet goes, well, I think that carpet was put in boats so that more guys wives would let them buy the boat. If the wife is in on the boat buy she is going to want something nice for that $20-30,000 your putting down for that boat. Fabric choices and graphics choices where born from the need to sell the woman on the idea of a $20-30,000 fishing boat, IMO. Now I am more of a no frills, wash it out when your done kind of guy and now there is a boat maker out there doing just that. Now I just need to convince myself I need a new boat.

I have used the car wash which is nice, but I also like using the little green machine for spot duty. I just hate hosing down my boat anymore than I have too. Resolve works good on stains.

Another great product for cleaning the outside is Simple Green. Fantastic on hard water spots and cleans extremely well.

Yeah, you have to realize your boat is a tool, but like any tool, if you don't take care of it and work on maintenance, it can and usually will fail. Heck, it's just plain fun to even clean the boat!!!

I use a power washer and some dish soap on the interior of my boat at the end of each season. I make sure that the pressure isn't enough to damage the wood flooring. The grime that comes out of the back of the boat would make most gag.

When I am done I throw a couple fans in the boat to recirculate the air and dry out the inside.

I have a Ranger 520 and I use the self serve car wash. Just soap up everything (Except the 332's) and rinse it down with the power rinse. Works great but be careful around the state sticker license seems like they do not like to be power washed smile.gif. I have been truly amazed at the stains that "disappeared" with a power wash, blood, coffee, you name it. I also DO NOT ALLOW SUNFLOWER SEEDS OR PEANUTS IN THE SHELL. I do have it detailed too once a season.

I have an 18Ft Lowe Big Jon. I bought it to hunt and fish. If it has duck and or fish blood on it then I have had a successful season. I sweep it out in the fall after duck season closes. If it is not to cold I take it to the car wash. If it is too cold I take it to the car wash in the spring. Hmmm, soon as the ground is a bit harder I need to get to the car wash! There may be a couple of shotgun shells left in the bottom as well. Oh well... I guess if I spent 20-30K on it I might have a different outlook but I spent less than 5K on it and it does everything that I ask it to. With the 60HP tiller on the back I have had no one ride out the tube to the end. OK, well the tube ride does not end till I have dumped ya! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo