• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Golden Gophers PEAK in late January.............

redlake

[image]tnundfamily7wv.jpg[/image]

[image]champs9so.jpg[/image]

[image]hoisting028ww.jpg[/image]

[image]huddle1ke.jpg[/image]

Associated Press..........The gophers have done it again. They peaked in January and they fall flat in March. IF they get a number one seed it will be the biggest joke in college sports. I don't care if they were ranked number one for 3 years in row. They stink right now and probably would get flogged by Bemidji State. Right now, YES! The should not make the tournament losing two games in a row when it counts. What a bunch of cake eaters! The golden gophers stinking up the ice in March when it counts. Buzzsaw and Pierre and the rest of you gopher fans flapping your mouths when you should have been respectfull of St. Cloud that just gave you a beating scoring goals on you like you didn't even have a goaltender in the net. And, the mighty Wisconsin Badgers who flogged you 4-0! Wow, Uncle Donnie has to be furious with the effort or lack thereof. How does a great team like this not show up? No effort? Not enough cake?

Here is a qoute from the great Buzzsaw.

"NICE!! The Sioux choked hard "AT HOME" against the Purple Bull tonight, what a waste of talent going on in "not so" Grand Forks! I mean look at all the players they have and they just keep playing such mediocre hockey, young players their fans want to use as an excuse??? Hope it makes them feel better."

We feel fine Buzzy. You are Pierre will have to go to therapy with all the other gopher fans who cheered so hard this year. It is over. The ride is over.

North Dakota is peaking in March again. I am sure you all have noticed. I predicted it in December when Minnesota would fall flat. I can read this gopher team like a novel. You gopher fans should be ashamed of your team. grin.gif

Go Sioux!!

Red... Your off your meds again.

You think anyone remembers who wins the wcha tourny? Nobody cares. Yes, the Gophes didn't bring their "A" game. Talk about toying around with cloud friday night. Their are bigger fish to fry coming soon for the Gophs. Staying healthy for the big show I believe was the plan over the weekend, or , I could be wrong, It looked like the gophs were skating at 80%. I'm a little disappointed in the effort but the gophs will eat their cake and hoist a trophy very soon.

Thats the nice thing about you O-pher fans even when you get you butt kicked for 2 games your still cocky about everything. The PA guy after the SIOUX/WIS game said the SIOUX advance to the title game against the gophers. How cocky everybody around that squad is. Nice show of Golden fans at the title game. It was great not to have to listen to that cheer. But I had to listen to the TECH band all nite.

Red red red, I thought you came around and were a normal person??? I guess you've gone and flipped your lid again! The regular season trophy goes to the best team over the long regular season, the Broadmoor trophy goes to the team that is hottest during that weekend and the NCAA title is what matters... when are you going to figure it out?! Goepfort may have given up 7 goals put he saved SCSU against Minnesota and I'm positive that we didn't care about that third place game... I call it the great setup, make all these other teams think were down and then beat em' in the NCAA's.

Nice try on the Associated Press blog... they still are a number one seed without any doubt unless your as blind as Stevie Wonder or wearing Flickertail blinders... just when I was giving you credit for having a level head you go and act like a six year old spouting off when your team wins the most meaningless trophy of them all... well other than that DQ cup crap confused.gif

I just hope you guys don't have to play us IN Grand Forks in that second game... we all know how the Sioux play at home and against the Gophers this season. Then I'm certain the crow pie will be getting crammed down your throat... we'll maybe not... were not all six.

It must be OK for you to talk smack but not anybody else. You've been doing it all year.

Ahh, buzzy. So defensive on this Sunday morning. A little bit on edge and we know why.... There are a few dogs getting kicked this morning around gopher country. I have heard just about every excuse in the book when it comes to gopher hockey fans.

You don't need to post another "History of the WCHA" essay. I have been watching WCHA hockey all my life and I do know that the MacNaughton Cup goes to the best overall record and the Broadmore Trophy goes to the winner of the WCHA playoff championship.

The fact is, the boys in maroon and gold are really struggling and there is going to be some tough practices this week as Uncle Donnie tries to right the ship.

I would much rather play better hockey in March, but gopher fans continue to babble on and on about their great regular season run with almost no acknowlegement of two terrible games in a row. The gophers have been lit up on the defensive end lately and their fans puff out their chests. Is there no concern?

Thank goddness you gophers have a guy on the selection committee. Without that you would be a 2 seed if that. Holy Cross is going to score at least 5 goals on a very poor defense and even worse goaltender. You will be luck to even make it to the winner of the UND-Michigan game.

But, I hope you do score 6 goals against Holy Cross. I just hope that will be enough. I dont' want Holy Cross to steal our chance. I would love to see a North Dakota matchup to get you gopher fans to shut-up and shut it down for the year and start gathering your fishing tackle for a nice summer of jigging and casting. smirk.gif

You guys been out fishing at all lately? I think with all this hockey going on and no fishing it's making you guys nuts. Why don't we wait and see where and who everyone is playing and then start getting after each other. I should be fun. Which region do you guys think UMD will be playing??

Rolly

OK, so I'm a little slow. Holy Cross?? WTF? I love laughing at the tune up games for the Gophs every year. I'll be rooting for the Gophs and the Sioux in the first games. I think it will be worth checking this thread if they play each other.

Speaking of being on edge red, why are you so pissy on this beautiful Sunday?

I love to see that the gopher fans have gotten under your skin. Thats what it's all about, irratating the Sue fans.

Congrats to the Sioux, and Congrats to the WCHA on another great tournament.

So true, a great tournament, with record crowds and great games. The St. Cloud - Gopher game was one of the wildest I have seen in a long, long time. I was sad to see it end. The intensity was incredible and St. Cloud played their hearts out. If they had to play it over, St. Cloud would not want any part of a rematch. It was a classic David and Goliath battle.

The gopher fan does get under my skin as Sioux fans do the same for the maroon, I recon. It happens to be a rivalry and we just don't like each other very much.

I gave credit to the gophers all season long and enjoyed watching them play every weekend. They have a great team but they are unable to give other teams credit or admitt that they might not be playing as well as they once were.

I'll admit that some of the gopher fans get under my skin as well, but every team on the planet has annoying fans.

I'm a WCHA fan, though I may lean more towards the Gophs and the Bulldogs. I have great respect for the Sioux and I'll cheer for them as long as they don't play the Gophs or the Bulldogs. laugh.gif

Good Luck to all the WCHA teams playing in NCAA, hopefully they can keep the championship streak alive.

Go ahead and underestimate the Gophers now... just pile the dirt on their grave. It's all over now for the boys in maroon and gold... I'd even look past them if I were a Sioux fan!! Forget about the fact that Minnesota SHELLED Parise three times this year, twice in GRand Forks.... that just doesn't matter and won't be in the back of the Sioux's minds when they play each other. smirk.gif

I think the team that comes out of the Grand Forks region will win it all. As much as I can’t stand to listen to the UND fans, I think they’re going to win at least one NCAA Title over the next 3 years. Our Minnesota born, raised, and trained kids are looking pretty good for them right now. The WCHA has an unreal freshman class this year in general, but Oshie is incredible. With Lee and Toews on there as well…

You all know I bleed maroon and gold but I think UND has a bright future. Let’s just hope the Gophers take care of them this year. I don’t think Kessle or Wheeler will be around very long. I guess we can hope Oshie, Lee, and Toews don’t stick around long either.

Been a big GOPH fan in hockey for years. My first taste of a big game was being at the game Robb Stauber stopped over 40 shots-- only to lose to harvard in the 89'Championship Game. Don't get much coverage of WCHA action down here in iowa (all Iowa Stars , farm to the Dallas Stars) but I do know this--- when it comes right down to it, the GOPHS play much better under LUCIA than WOOG in the clutch games. WCHA final 5??? Who cares??? The GOPHS know when to play and it's in the clutch. Gophs 4-2 over H.c and 3-1 over N.D. Briggs will be amazing, and IRMEN will have 3-4 pts over the wk-end. Potulny gets winning goal agst ND.

RING IT UP-

Quote:

team wins the most meaningless trophy of them all...

Meaningless trophy? Tell St. Cloud that trophy was meaningless....Cause I'm pretty sure THAT trophy had a guaranteed trip to the NCAA'S. What does that McNaughton Cup mean? This year granted the Gopher's went on an amazing run but I think they won it more by Wisconsin tanking.

Wallmounter... good job taking that out of context, do you work for the media? The quote was DIRECTED towards the Sioux winning it, not at SCSU losing it. I can't figure out if your a deeply depressed Huskie fan or a disgruntled Wisconsin fan, either way take your medicine. shocked.gif

Quote:

Nice try on the Associated Press blog... they still are a number one seed without any doubt unless your as blind as Stevie Wonder or wearing Flickertail blinders... just when I was giving you credit for having a level head you go and act like a six year old spouting off when your team wins the most meaningless trophy of them all... well other than that DQ cup crap

Actually Buzz I am a UND alum. And that game had many implications on the NCAA's, cuase if SCSU wins the immediatley become a TUC and since SCSU took 3of 4 from UND (go ahead take your shot here) during the regular season SCSU winning would have really taken another shot to our pairwise rankings due to our already dismal record against TUC's.

as for your feeling about not caring about that 3rd place game....I seem to remember a squad that lost last years WCHA third place game and went on to lose to a certain green and white squad.

Regardless I always enjoy some competitive banter and look forward to the games.

Remember this time of year you are only as good as your last win.

I'm glad we have another educated college hockey fan here... glad you can join in. grin.gif The one thing you left out is that IF SCSU would have won they would have gotten an autobid and Maine would have missed out on the tourney. That would be one more WCHA team and one LESS hockey east team. wink.gif

Yes but it also could, and that's a big could, have knocked UND to a #4 seed due to the other conference tourney champs and the previously stated effect to our TUC record, and those implications would have sent the Goph's out EAST. But what fun would that have been wink.gif

The 3rd place game is an absolute joke and is one of dumbest things in any sport period....... shocked.gif

Yeah, the Gophers did not care about that 3rd place game and even though I wanted them to come back strong, I didn't care all that much either. They will come ready to play next weekend. I think the two Nodak boys are going to have a big weekend.

I love it when you guys say they didn't care about the third place game. If someone doesn't care whether they win or lose, then they are losers. It's just a weak excuse for not performing...the easy way out. A loss is a loss no matter when or who it's against, even more so this time of the year.

Rolly

Quote:

I love it when you guys say they didn't care about the third place game. If someone doesn't care whether they win or lose, then they are losers. It's just a weak excuse for not performing...the easy way out. A loss is a loss no matter when or who it's against, even more so this time of the year.

Rolly

Quote:

A loss is a loss no matter when or who it's against, even more so this time of the year.

That is a ridiculous statement from someone who has played hockey their entire life.

Your starting to sound like RedLake.... shocked.gif the Gophers are losers now huh?

It's not that they don't care it's just common sense when you play for the best College hockey program in the World one that every single kid wants to play for just like you did and your on the Best Team in the Nation that just Won the best Conference in the country and you have not lost in 14 games and after losing one of the best games of the year in overtime the night before and then having to play a meaningless 3rd place game that has no bearing on the NCAA tournament what so ever and a game that should not even be played and is only played to sell a few more tickets.

There can be a bit of let down.

Have you guys heard the saying no crying in baseball.

This is Hockey stop CRYING/WHINNING about non-sense.

Good Luck.. grin.gif

I don't remember saying they were losers, just that if someone takes a night off and doesn't care about the game, they are losers.

I grew up in Rapids and honestly wanted to play for the Bulldogs since I was a kid. It seriously sounds like I'm listening to Donnie Lucia himself on a recruiting trip:

when you play for the best College hockey program in the World one that every single kid wants to play for just like you did and your on the Best Team in the Nation that just Won the best Conference in the country

WTF??

Whining?? I suspect we'll hear a bit of that when the precious Gophers lose. grin.gif

Rolly

Quote:

Whining?? I suspect we'll hear a bit of that when the precious Gophers lose.

maybe, but unlike UMD, they have a chip and a chair. grin.gifblush.gif

I still can't believe they got black balled from this year's tourney, I could see them as a 2nd or 3rd seed in one of the regions!?!?

I thought you said you had job?..get to work... grin.gif

You'll never hear me whine......even if the best team in the best conference in best WORLD lose's... grin.gif I know the Gophers have lost the NCAA title when they have had clearly the best team and I know we have won the NATIONAL championship when we didn't have the best team going in, anything can and will happen....enjoy the Sun... grin.gif

Don't kid yourself you know the 3rd place game is a joke.

Didn't look like a joke for Wisconson and they didn't have much to play for either, except maybe pride.

I smile to think of the gophers practicing on defensive skills and positioning this week. Their goaltenders sweating and furiously working on stopping the puck.

Then coach Lucia gathers the forwards together and whispers for them not to humiliate the goaltenders and to start missing some shots on purpose. He shakes his finger at Kessel, Putulty, Wheeler, and Gordon as they hang their heads.

Off in the corner, however, Frazee, Briggs, and Solie slap each other on the back and try to do the splits as they gear up for another Kessel wrister they won't be able to stop.

Let's face it gopher fans. It isn't a confident group we have right now. We have the best offensive team in all of college hockey that has HID the fact that this gopher team is sub-par in the nets and weak on the blue line.

It is go-time this weekend. No more excuses about not trying in the third place game and getting beat by a hot goaltender from St. Cloud. Lets get back to reality, those of you who cheer from the maroon and gold. No more excuses. We are tired of it.

What cost you the third place game was a better team in Wisconsin. They kicked your butts up and down the ice. What cost you the game against St. Cloud was your sieve goalies let in 8 goals.

If you don't get better goaltending, it is time to pull out your golf clubs, start doing your yard work around the house, and enjoy the beautiful weather of April we have coming around the corner. Your hockey team is ripe for the picking and I have a couple dead gophers in my freezer I am going to launch on the ice when Holy Cross scores their first goal.

wink.gif

Quote:

Didn't look like a joke for Wisconson and they didn't have much to play for either, except maybe pride.

The game meant a lot more to Wisconsin being they were trying rebound from the biggest collapse in WCHA history they really needed to prove to themselves they could play good hockey again.

When teams are playing the Gophers we know it's their Super Bowl and they want to kill us bad, were kinda like the Yankees.... cool.gif

Enjoy the Tourney.... grin.gif

Can't wait for that 3rd place game it's gonna be a barn burner!!!!!!

Do they still do the third place game in the NCAA's? Honestly, when you're on the ice against one of your biggest rivalries, you seriously don't think 'this game means more for them than us, who cares if I get the puck out of the zone' or 'I'll just let my man go, if he scores he scores, this game is meaningless'. I wouldn't care if I was playing UM or Tech and the game doesn't mean anything in the pairwise or has any ramification in the NCAA's, I want to beat them regardless.

This should be some interesting hockey, this thread even more so. Time to head home and have a beer or ten. Over and out.

Rolly

P.S.-I figure in time on this site as part of my work schedule. grin.gif