• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Neiko

Timing chain replacement

Question

Neiko

I have a 99 Silverado with 228K miles on it. I like to take care of it so it will last me by trying to keep up on the maintainance. Do I need to worry about the timing chain breaking or should I have it replaced? Will it give me any warnings if it starts to go on me or is it just going to happen at random?

2 answers to this question

Wishin2BFishin

Wow! 32k miles per year you drive! The chain is pretty strong and is lubed very well with oil. If you keep up with the oil changes and use good oil then you may be okay to run it for a bit longer. If the chain gets worn and sloppy it can start to rub and clatter on the side of the timing chain cover. That would be the only warning sign other than maybe a slight loss of performance from the engine. Far as I know if the chain breaks the only damage would be maybe to the timing chain cover. Don't think the valves would get any damage like some engines do. What usualy happens is the chain will slip off a tooth on the gears before it breaks and you will know when this happens as the engine will not run very well.

Best of luck...

Neiko

Yeah I drive alot. I like driving probably because my dad was a truck driver so there must be some in my blood. I do run Amsoil and have from the start so I guess I won't worry about it until I start seeing performance problems. The engine is still as strong as the day I picked it up.