• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
GRIZ

Lunker Bass/Walleye

GRIZ

I have been coming up to the Nam/Kab area since 1995. I spend 2 weeks a year in the area fishing hard. Ive had great success with amounts of fish. But the truly large smallies Over 5lbs, and the mamouth walleyes over 10lbs have not ever been in the bottom of my boat. I have had a spectacular monster pike on my line in Namakan. Tell me some stories boys--about big fish--with all this water they have to be out there. grin.gif

prov1900

In the fall of 2004, after fishing the first 3 out of seven days with nothing (Walleyes) to show for it, then on the 4th day, we got hit with the storm of storms that trashed my boat. I went out the fifth day with only two days left with the idea of giving up on walleye fishing and start fishing for smallies. Near Chief Wooden Frog Island, I started casting a crawfish colored Shad Rap. Six casts, five smallies, all from 4 to 5 lbs. My most memorable day. Ever. Nothing huge of course, but smallies dont have to be huge to be memorable. Coupled with the fact that all of those fish lived to fight another day kept me warm all winter long. My brother in law caught a 14lb Northern last fall out of my boat, my rod, my lure, my trolling pass....therefore my fish right? grin.gif That fish also lived to fight another day. Again not a real monster, but his biggest in his 17 years of life. I too have not caught a walleye over 5 so look forward to hearing other peoples fish stories. I'll be there May 27 thru June 3. My bags are already packed.

Doc Madison

We've always had good numbers of Walleye on Crane but never gotten into any size - my biggest was 25". My mother caught a 29" Walleye in the spring near the Vermillion Gorge and we saw a guy holding a 6-7# Smallmouth at one of the resorts that looked like a dinner platter that was apparently caught in Namakan.

Kab Kid

Last year we had by far more noteable HUGE smallmouths and northerns than walleyes. The biggest S.M. on our guide trips were 23 1/2", several roughly 22" (one on a flyrod), and numersous 20-22"...those are some huge brozebacks!

Biggest Pike of 05' was a 46" caught while casting for smallmouth on Kabetogama fairly close to the Boat launch. We had about 5 total over 40"...all went back into the lake.

Biggest walleye was 28" and caught in Namakan. Many around the 23-25" range, but not many HUGE ones this past year...in 04' we caught a 29 1/2" and a 28" back to back in the same hole...

Open water is just around the corner...

Good luck, see you on the water

Kab_Kid

NBR

I have fished Nam and Sand Point for over 25 years. Even a move from Michigan to New Hampshire didn't keep me away in spite of the 3600 mile round trip. After the new regs re size and limits were passed I think both average size and quanity have increased. Nothing huge but a nice increase in size of both walleyes and smallies.

Kab Dreamin

A couple of years ago, my fishing partner and I were fishing the mouth of Blind Ash Bay and while reeling in a walleye, he had a monster northern grab it at the side of the boat and sit there looking at us. It was pushing 40" if not right on the money. A real gator. It swam around a little while with the walleye in its mouth and all my buddy could do was hang on and loosen the drag. After 3 or 4 passes by the boat, it decided to quit playing and let go and swam off. The walleye looked like swiss cheese. Too bad we didn't have a camera because that would have made a great picture.

KabNam

After 20 plus years of fishing on Kabetogama and Namakan the biggest walleye in our boat is a 7.5 lb. walleye and a 10 pound northern. However the year class of walleyes in that 20-23 inch range are plentiful and hopefully they bite like they do now when they are a couple years older!

Kab Dreamin

Back in 1983, I was dockboying at Pine Aire Resort and two guys brought in a 10.5 lber that they caught off of Donut Island. That is the biggest walleye I have ever seen come out of that lake. It was 29" long and really thick.

fishkab

Re: Lunker Walleye,,,, From my many years on the lake, if you guys are really looking for that lunker eye,,, try and find time for a late fall trip. My biggest eyes are all late fall, October.. the big females get on the feeding binge and your chances go way up for the big lunker. My biggest is a 32" mid October just a few years ago. Vertical jig and a big minnow... Just a thought Good Luck Fishkab

GRIZ

Fishkab, I viewed a video of Al Linder in the boundry about a year ago and he was fishing in October using 7-8 inch suckers. He was catching huge walleyes and smallmouths at the same time off a rock/sand rise. I will consider putting down my bow and picking up my rod for a week. Thanks for the advise.