• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How has the bite been at Red Wing the last few days? I know there is a "First Saturday in March" walleye tourney going on this saturday (i was there last year for the first time and was surprised by the turnout -- it was a little cold that day). I am hoping to get out there either SAturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon.

any info would be helpful (river level, what walleye/sauger have been hitting on, etc...). Planning on launching at Evertts.

thanks in advance.

Lots of fish being caught jigging and dragging. The big girls have yet to appear but Dean at everts says the sauger are going hot and heavy. If you though last year was crowded wait till you see the crowd this year.

Why do you think the crowds will be any different from any other year? confused.gif It's a zoo down there every spring.

If you go Sunday you might be able to pick up a lot of chatter late Saturday about catches and what was working. My guess is that for quality fish getting downstream from the dam and dragging plastics shallower (12' or less) could produce some nicer sized fish. Good luck!

mm

Fished Red Wing Dam area on Saturday afternoon (arrived just as the tourney ended). Looked like most people in the tourney caught fish but didn't sound like a lot of big females had started their ventur up toward the dam. Anyone know how the tourney ended up (big fish, weight totals for top boats, etc..)?

As for me and my two friends we ended up by the Dam fishing right up in the "back tow". Looked like those getting fish (saugers or walleyes) were getting them on sonar type baits (those seemed to be more consistent but boat control in the deeper water near the dam was the key and not too easy with all the boats there) or Jig/minnow combo (needed to use 3/8-1/2 ounce jig -- heavier than what i am used to using but required to get the bait to the bottom). We ended up catching about 2 dozen fish with 6-7 in the 16-18" range. Most of the fish we caught were saugers. Most of the fish were caught from 30-54 ft of water (like most others in that area). We didn't fish the wing dams but it did look like there was some luck over there as well. Doesn't look like any of the big females have moved up yet (few more weeks?). Looking for a return trip the end of March (work and vacation only thing keeping me away).

Did anyone do anygood drifting down the river from the dam? what about down by the "Y"?

Also, looking to do a two day trip -- anyone recommend an inexpensive motel/hotel in the area of Red Wing?

Pretty sure on these #'s

1. 12.9

2. 12.35

3. 11.45

4. 11.3

5. 11.15

Big fish 4.3

Sonars are a "Blade Bait".

They are quite heavy for there size and feature treble hooks on both ends. You can tell someone fishing sonars by the exagerated way ther are jigging, unfortunately you do snag alot of fish with these types of lures.

Cory Frantzick

Yep in my experience about half the fish ypu catch doing the yo-yo with sonars are snagged. I have observed several boats do well casting blade baits in shallow water. If absolutely nothing else is working I'll pull out the sonars but they are a last resort for me.

And take mentholatum rub for your elbows and shoulders. This is rip-jigging in the first degree and you'll quickly find out how much work is involved. As stated, it ain't pretty but it can be effective. Stout rod needed.

Liphooked, there is an Americinn or Best western right under the bridge by Perkins and Ike's bait.Good luck!

You feel like you were throwing Musky baits all day if you spend too long using just Sonar Baits!! need to change it up between jigging and Sonars.

Does anyone have an update on Red Wing since last weekend? i am heading down to Phoenix for a week but plan on being back on the River by 24th of March (hoping the big run holds off until about that time).

Rip some lip!

Slow for our boat. 1 15" Sauger and 1 17" walleye. Jig n minnow. We missed a lot and Phil broke his line on something. Nada on the plastics for us. This was last Sat. People were catching fish, but not hot n heavy. Boat control is a must - quite a few people were out. Water temp was 39.8 in main channel and pretty clear.

buddy and I were out thurs. 3/9/06 caught our first limit in redwing, but it took 9 hrs. half sauger half walleye. my buddy killed me he had 11 to my 1. we only threw back one walleye that was 13+1/2". dragging jigs tipped with minnows.