• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINNESOTA DARKHOUSE AND ANGLING

DID ANYONE ELSE GO TO THE MINNESOTA DARKHOUSE AND AGNLING MEETING LAST NIGHT AT THE SPICER LEGION?I DON'T USUALLY GO TO THESE THINGS BUT SINCE I STARTED UP SPEARING ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW MANY OUT THERE ACTUALLY DO SOME SPEARING.I DON'T GO OUT FOR THE TROPHEYS,BUT DO LIKE TO TAKE SOME 3-5 POUNDERS HOME EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. OUT OF 500 LETTERS SENT OUT,AROUND 45 PEOPLE SHOWED UP.THE WHOLE THING LASTED ABOUT 3 HOURS AND WAS ACTUALLY VERY INTERESTING.THEY ALSO RAFFLED OFF ABOUT 25 DECOYS AND OTHER PRIZES.CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHATS UP AT THE NEXT MEETING.

iizfishin' It sounds neat that a group would form a darkhouse & angling Meeting. I had a bass tounament guy tell me tried spearing for the first time with a friend . He was amazed, how hard it really was. He thought it was fun, but also time consuming, he like the super large hole for the angling.

It was a meeting to get a chapter going in the area.You can send your 10.00 membership fee to MDAA,PO Box 1875,Burnsville,Mn.55337,or call 952-895-1774

I've never speared either but I've heard its kind of like deer hunting/sitting in a stand and then all of sudden you have big time action. Might have to try it sometime. Just what I need, another hobby...

You have the main idea. But it's easier to call northerns in than deer. If you use rattle baits it brings fish in like crazy.

Went spearing with a friend once. I just watched as he speared. I really don't like the idea of it. You can't really spear, photo, and release (SPR) can you!

In spearing you can watch and release the fish by deciding not to throw the spear. You never touch the fish and don't subject the poor critter to the 15% hooking mortality from "CPR." I constantly hear stories of groups of guys going out with tip-ups and catching northerns all day. I think that this type of fishing is far more damaging to pike populations than spearfishermen confined to one hole while selectively harvesting a few fish. All the spearers I talk to are faily selective about the fish they take. I know there are exceptions, but this is also true for anglers. I was out jogging with the dog on the lake early this morning. As I approaced an angler he quickly shuffled over to another hole and pulled up a sucker line. This guy was sitting over that spot all winter with a group of guys running a lot of tip ups all winter. I know they killed a ton of fish and he was still trying to catch some more! I did call tip on this. My biggest pet peave with some spearers is leaving the blocks out on the ice. I know I have had some freeze down so that they couldn't be moved, but in such cases I chop the dang thing up so some poor soul doen't damage their vehicle or hit it with a snowmobile.