• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Putting together a FM LOW trip..............

I want to put together another FM get-together. This time on LOW out of Gibbins Ice Fishing. Bryant's houses are perfectly equipt and one of them can handle a party of 10. If needed we could get a second house. They all have marine band radios so you can bs back and forth and also monitor the bomber traffic on the lake.

I want to do it on Saturday January 17th through Monday the 19th. Monday being Martin Luther King Day (holiday for me grin.gif ).

I think this is Laker opener so I don't know how many are devoted to that???

If we are going to do it, we need to plan early in order to reserve a house.

This will be a riot grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif.

What do you think guys?

------------------
CWCS Supporter - Keep it open for Everyone.

Crank the Shank!

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dr. Bob

• Northlander

• Leaky

• MT Net

Wow, Robert, as if last year's Burntside thing and the recent Basswood experience wasn't punishment enough, you're ready to start planning another one? grin.gifgrin.gif

Doctor, heal thyself. wink.gif

Just kidding. It would be a blast. I've done several LOW weekends in sleeper houses, and had a great time each time.

But it actually is laker opener, and that's what I'll be doing for sure, either on B-side or Gunflint. Caught so many eyes over the years I'm definitely up for the thrill of those lakers. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Bob,Im in and Poutslayer would probably do it. In a sleeper though it can be a bitch if you want to sleep and everyone parties all night. Therefore I may get a room of my own depending on how many you get etc. I would bring a portable and base out of the Perm. if I did it. Better fishing that way.
Any idea on cost? Depends on # I know.

I think it is around $60 a night, bait included.

Leaky ain't going so it might not be to loud rolleyes.gif.

------------------

Crank the Shank!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 08-01-2003).]

I just checked. It's $68 per night. Includes bait and transportation.

This place is really nice. There is everything you need including dish soap and salt and pepper! Putting on a fish fry there is just as easy as doing it at home!

------------------

Crank the Shank!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm sure its going to be a great time.
Unfortunately its on Trout Opener which has been an annual thing for me the past 25 years. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

I'll be at the Burntside Bash though.
AHuumm, Chunky, Stfcatfish hows that floor lookin. smile.gif

Well, there's a floor for a 6x8 in my head, but so far it's still in my head. And it's a floor made of pressure treated 2X4s, with walls and a roof of 2X2s, coupla windows, thin sheathing, rigid foam insulation, etc.

It's on my list of things to start, but next time I'm in Twig, S.T., I'll put the arm on you for any scrap wood. grin.gifgrin.gif Meanwhile, if you see any around, toss it in the pickup for me, eh?

Chunky, is there a place at the Ely dump for building materials a fellow could scrounge through? Why pay when you can get it for free?

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Hey Steve,

I have a few pieces of misc. lumber around from when I built my house, What do you need? Email me. I have a 6 man sleeper on LOW too. But I fish off Adrians road. Depends when it is, I might like to join in too, and put up with a couple more! wink.gif

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

Hey Joel:

You've got mail.

If we sked this outing for a different weekend I'd be in like a flash. It's been awhile since I've done the big social event on sleepers at LOW, and what a great time that is. grin.gif

Especially with Dr. Bob, who comes equipped for EVERYTHING. grin.gif

And Leaky, who brings so many maps sheathed in plastic that at the Basswood thing I nicknamed him "the Laminator." (think of Schwarzenegger as "the Terminator").

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 08-01-2003).]

Hey Dr.:

Is that $68 per night per person, or for the house? And how many does each house sleep?

LOW resort sleeper ice house prices vary widely, so it could be either. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

That's per person - per night. His regular houses sleep 4-8 people and he has one that I know of that sleeps 10. Maybe we could have a "quiet house" and a "not so quiet house" grin.gif ?

Maybe we should shoot for a different weekend. Would the weekend b4 be okay or perhaps 2 weekends b4???

Speak up guys.............

------------------

Crank the Shank!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 08-01-2003).]

Couldn't agree more Northlander, about those party things. I'll get a room with ya for a quiet peaceful night of whiskey, music, and deep intellectual thought! grin.gif

chunky

Bob, you hit me where it hurts! I'll be chasin the greaseballs myself on BSide or ???or???or???

chunky

Sounds like a plan Jiggle.

I am open for a weekend or 2 before. I am just waiting for feed-back from the rest of the guys.

I would imagine some of the other folks from the URL and LOW forums would probably want to join us too.

This is staring to show signs of being another interesting weekend rolleyes.gif.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

------------------

Crank the Shank!

Bob - I wish I could join ya guys. If I could have made it, I think Xplorer would have had the human muffler invented by then. grin.gif

Any other weekend....... I'll also be up on B-side for the trout opener. Been a tradition for a few years now.

Any other FM'rs on B-Side that weekend, (Chunky, Catfish, ST?) I'll be hunting you down. You know, when I run out of beer at my buddies house?

Northlander - Don't forget your guarentee for the River next year (Catfish, you listening?)

How could this not be a great ice fishing trip? You'll need to tell Jiggle, though, to leave the clamps at home.

(Jiggle, you don't know me, but I followed your antics on Red all last winter, via the forum. You also helped me out the first time I posted the forum. Thanks. I hope to meet ya one of these days.)

Jim

[This message has been edited by Leaky (edited 08-03-2003).]

If you are planning a weekend or 2 earlier, just to let you know there have been times that the ice is a little short. I have been there when they've pulled the sleepers out around early Jan. before.

Just my 2 cents, but I like the idea of early March when most other places are closed for the season and fishing is usually very good at LOW. Plan it whenever though and I'll try and be there, sounds like a lot of fun!

------------------
End of the Line Charters
Lake Superior
1-888-U-HOOK-EM
www.fishontheline.com

this sounds like a great idea, except for the weekend it lands on, which basicly excludes the laker guys.
i would be interested in tagging along if no one minded, but i'd just better let you all know, i have very little capacity for deep thinking confused.gif
clamp til you drop grin.gif

------------------
summer is just the dog days of winter jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Thanks Joel -

Maybe we should shoot for a week later to make sure the ice is good confused.gif .

March would be okay with me too.

------------------

Crank the Shank!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 08-04-2003).]

If you guys do something in March, I'm in like Flynn. I have to pull my house on Mill Lacs by the end of February, so I usually spend March tromping around Red & Winnie.

LOW with this group would be a blast!

Jim

leaky, glad to be of service! yes this sounds like a real good time. i can see it now. we will soon have pinned down all four corners of the triangle!! what do you mean i can't get there from here confused.gif

------------------
summer is just the dog days of winter jigglestick I.B.O.T.#5 have you clamped today???

Leaky, if a LaCrosse hound like Xplorer could invent a human muffler (well, invent a human muffler more effective than a wife), no one could sell it better than you! grin.gif

But $68 a night per person? Sheesh! I can get a motel room for way cheaper than that, and have a nice bed (not 3-inch foam), even heating (not roast-on-the-top-bunk and freeze-on-the-bottom-bunk), a shower in the morning (as opposed to gusty winds blowing the morning's bladder relief back into the shack), and the knowledget that the rattle I hear in the middle of the night in motel land is not a 'pout on the rattle reel, but the entertainment beckoning to be let in!

Ahhhhh, those overnight heated shacks were the days, eh? grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

In Jan. I'll be too busy chasing trout. If you go in March I'll be there!

Catfish -

$68 sounds like a lot, but IMHO it is well worth it. Gibbins houses are the best I have ever seen and I could not have done it better myself! And he is actually cheaper than some of the other sleeper oufit in the area.

His houses are banked with a plow - so there are no drafts. And they have regular wall mounted furnaces with thermostats - so there is not the "roast and then freeze syndrome". He has covers that go over the holes at night so you have a huge floor area to stumble around on. And the house we had last year was so well banked that the holes did not freeze over night even with the covers on! And I solved the problem of sweating to death on the upper bunk - I just tossed the pad on the floor and crashed there. It was great grin.gif.

I have been doing sleepers for a long time out of a different resort. I had to bring tons of stuff with me cause all they provided was a jug of water, a stove and some chairs ($66 a night). Last year I decided to try Gibbins because he does not charge for kids under 14. Boy am I glad I did smile.gif. His houses are HUGE and fully stocked, all you need is your food and a sleeping bag. And the fishing was not bad either, compared to other reports I heard for that weekend. I was very impressed. All of my future L.O.T.W. Sleeper trips will be through there smile.gif.

I am not trying to convince anyone not to stay in a motel. If you want to - go for it. I personally love the sleepers and plan to sleep on the lake. It's a lot like camping to me - which I can never get enough of.

------------------

Crank the Shank!

March is sounding like the time to go for this. I got an email from Chris too that sounded like he would be interested if it were then.

When I know pretty much for sure how many we will have I will check into reservations.

------------------

Crank the Shank!

Bob if you can get me 6 hours of sleep Im in! Im not into Pout as much as the Poutslayer but eyes are caught after dark at times. March sounds real good and by then Ill have been up there 2-3 times.

Hey Chunky,
I'm also planning on being up on B-side for trout opener also (just a heads up!) and will be toting "Lager" and peppermint in the Ottersled smile.gif
Xplorer

Chris, it's a date for sure!!! Could maybe help ya out with a place to stay. I'll have to OK it with Chewie of course..

chunk

B-side is also my backup opener for lakers. If Gunflint falls through with S.T. and Reefraker (not that it will, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?), I'll be staying close to home on the Burnt.

One way or another, and I'm not trying to wish away the open water season here, but I CAN'T WAIT!

Can you say "addiction?"

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 08-06-2003).]

Guys,

I have spent the last 7 years in MArch on LOW, good timing, matching usually a good bite. You'll probably need extensions for your augers. At least to be safe.

However, I usually fish Buffalo Bay. Rates are very reasonable, but you'll need a conservation license etc.

Last year I managed a 43 inch jack and the largest walleye for the group approached 28 inches.

SOmething to nibble on!
I might have to spend a little extra time with you all.

Jim W