• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Waconia slow....

I was wondering if any fm'ers were out on the Wac last night and had similar results as myself. I was out close to pilsbury reef in about 20fow fishing craps. Got there around 7:30 fished till 11pm. Was marking fish fairly consistantly but in most instances couldnt coax a bite. Ended up leaving with 6 fish, largest 10.5 inch smallest 8. Anyone have similar experiances with fish that didn't feel like feeding last night???

Four of us were out from 4:00-8:15. Couple perch till after 6:00 then hit a few crappies. Had to coax then out of the holes but still fish-on.

On Cemetery 14-15fow, crappies came in around 8-9fow

Nothing on the tip-ups.

A buddy and I fished Waconia last night and had mixed results. Arrived at the lake at 5, as soons as we got set up we couldn't keep the fish off, that lasted for a bout 20 minutes.After that they got mighty picky, you realy had to entice them to bite. So fished from 5 to 9 and caught around 30 fish and put 12 in the bucket.

same result here last night, we were fishing by 6:30pm and couldn't keep up with the bite, and that slowed a little by 7:30, we still cought around 30 fish but only but 5 in the bucket, could have kept about 15 of them ( 10.5" er's) but between me and the wife we wouldn't eat that many fish. it was lots of fun though, seems when ever a low front moves through the crappie bite like crazy.

TT

Hey Tommy, Where are you fishing on the Wac? I'm out on Pils and am contimplating one last move. Just hasn't been the same bite out there it seems this year. Marking fewer fish and many times the fish aren't as willing. Like I said earlier, I'm in 20 fow and am thinking of going a little deeper to around 24 or so. If I'm not mistaken That move would only be about 150 yds to the sw of my location... Acording to GPS readings I'm fishing only about 20 feet away from where I was last year and had fantastic action and success nearly every time out there... Weird.

crazy.gif

Fever ... Im on Anderson reef, lots of luck there last year and same luck this year. I don't know how everyone else is doing out there but Im close to where I was last year and the crappie bite is great. I haven't fished for Northern much this year and only had a couple lookers. Last year I C/R a couple 7.5 - 8.0 pounders and a couple small walleye. Seems the crappie are always there, never have got skunked.

The best time here lately is from 6:30pm - 8:00pm, and when a low presure front is moving through. During the day the sunnie and perch bite is okay, a fresh active minnow on a green jig has been working good for us day or night.

I hope that helps, if you move to Anderson let me know where your at and the next evening we are out I'll check in with you.

Tom

TT, thanks for the prompt reply... I just got done talking to one of my students and it seems he is fishing about 300yds away from where I'm at on Pilsbury and he's just pounding the crappies... I'm thinking because of the ease of the move I'll pick her up and drop her in a bit towards his house. I have been using small jigs (pink, green, white) on 4 lb fire line, no bobber, with small Lively as can be crappie mns just using the vex. Had real good success out of my portable on other west met. area lakes earlier this season. Just not too impressed with what I've seen at my Waconia spot this year. If I cruse over to the public access on the east side after the perms have to come off maybe I'll run in to you. I'd like to check out Anderson's anyway. Never fished it on the ice. I'll be out there sunday am b4 the sun comes up relocating the perm... good luck.

I am starting to think the the crappies are a little shallower right now are you guys in about 15 feet on Andersens?

Matt

Ive been dealing with some slow crappies too on Long Lake. I have been using a small jig with eurolarva on it. I have found that it really helps to glow the jig often and when not using minnows I gotta keep it moving a little bit. I even quit using my bobber and I just watch on the vex and hold line with my finger and move up and down and shake it a little and it increased my bites by alot. Good Luck I hope to get out to waconia some time this year too.

fished last night from 5:30-7:30 in the bay, fishing was great, 2 of us limited and also kept 9 nice sunfish, all but 4 of the fish were caught on waxies with a glow tear drop w/the blades on them. aggressive jigging was the rule last night, they did't want any minnows. I've only been in the bay for about 3 days and the fishing has been pretty good. At least there I don't have to worry about some (Contact US Regarding This Word) kid driveing his truck thru the house at 60mph confused.gif

Way too many kids ripping around out there. I agree. Friday and Saturdays are extremely annoying and a bit dangerous too. Wondering why something isn't done by the sheirfs department? All they would have to do is pull up to the lake at vertually any overlook or access and watch for the headlights that spin around and dart from place to place.... Good money making skeem for Carver co.

I went to the sherrifs dept last week to complaine, I told them on a hot summer day I will get stoped 3 times in 2 hours because we have 4 deputies out there, what happens when the water turnes hard, wheres the enforcment?? He said until they recieve complaints they do not patrol that area, so if you see that activity, please call them. Someone is going to get hurt by these kids pretty soon,

i called the sherrifs office one night a couple of weeks ago. and reported two vehicles driveing at high rate of speeds and very wildly. i was told "there isnt much we can do about it" and "we have recieved calls on them already"

now i am quite sure that they do have snomobiles that patrol. as they have stopped by my fishhouse on occasion. so then why then cant they get out and do something about these imbussoles.<<<<< wonders if that one is gonna get censored heheheh. .... paul

where are anderson and pillsbury reefs located on the lake, fished it only once or twice a while back, i would come on from the Marina on the south side, just curious which way they are located and are there cities of permanents on top of them?? Looking to get into some crappie/gill action early next week, thanks for any info.

If you stop in at the marina they have a map of the lake and they could give you some good advice on where to fish on the lake. Anderson is on the east side.

My house is sitting on about 16' FOW but only fish about 12" - 14" FOW and have good luck.

TT

fished over the COLD weekend in the bay again, if you could keep the holes open you found active fish after dark, Sunday night found real nice fish including one 13", a vexlar is a must, all fish were caught on waxies and glow jigs w/aggressive presentations.

Kottke

Was that a 13" Crappie you caught in the Bay? When I had my fish house in the bay I know one guy caught a 15.5" crappie and 2 days later I caught a 12.5" crappie, it sounds like that's where all the big one's are.

TT

Hit the ice again last night from 7:45 till 11pm. Was just south of Pilsbury in 23 fow. Marked fish consistantly all fairly close to the bottom. I'd say on the bottom up to about18-19 ft. Ended up catching 6 keepers myself, partner had 5 I think. The bite has been tougher for me out there lately. I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them but not having near the success as experianced in the past in the same area. Don't really have an answer for the lack of production out there. I've been using 2 lb test, small minnows, wax worms, gulp maggots, micro power baits (pink), small glow jigs, very small plain hooks, colored hooks, small horizontal jigs with rat tails, ant flies, spring bobbers, no bobbers, and when the bite is good I'll use ice busters from time to time. Frustrated, yep... But, I'll go again. I'm also using a vex and when light conditions allow a camera.... Not sure what else if anything, I could do. Sometimes the fish just arn't aggressive.

tommytanker

yes, we caught several over 12" in the last couple days in the bay. As that water starts to warm w/the longer days, those big females will start to arrive.

I am wondering the same thing...when you say the bay are you talking out from the access/marina or over by the hole west of pillsbury?? Thank for any help!

Did get out last night before my license expired, going to buy new one soon of course! Went to the pillsbury hole in about 25 fow. Got what I think is the biggest perch I've ever caught right away when I get there, crappies moved in at dark but man are they tight lipped...only got one on my first setup, none on the second, and my third attempt to convince them worked a little better and got about 5 in a short period of time. Anybody have any tips on gettin them buggers to bite? I didnt have minnows I was using eurolarvas and glow jigs, not sure which jigging method is best, tried alot of movement, little movement and none, and got a couple each method. Ive never got so mad at a fish as I did at first when I only managed one on 2 setups. Are minnows producing better or do I just got to try a few more methods with my euros? Perch was fun though so all in all it was worth it. Activity should die down now that the houses are gone, good fishin may be on the horizon. Good Luck!

How big was your perch? Last time I was out there was sunday night. Fishing same area, about 23 fow just south of pilsbury. Between a buddy and myself we kept 19 fish all at or above 9 inches. A variety of methods worked but I changed things up off and on and the best was a plain hook and a small lively minnow dead sticked. I tried euros on a very small glow jig and that seemed to work for a short time... got fish back to back to back using that method. 3 keeper craps in about 2 min... Then nothing. Weird I thought. Still seems like fish are tight lipped and non aggressive. I guys really got to put some time and effort in to get a nice limit out there. But yeah, things I beleive will get significantly better these next couple weeks.

Didnt measure the perch but it had to be slightly over 9", I havnt caught on as fat as she was before so it made for an added bonus. Last night hit shallower water (11ft) and got a couple 11" craps right before it got dark and I couldnt believe when it got dark them fish quit biting, they were there but had a staring problem. Changed up a bit, upsized actually, and got a few before I left around 7:30. Fishing was good til dark so I am hoping I can still get out on the lake this weekend and try it during the day. Good Luck.

Well....went out again last night(fishin while I still can!) and used minnows instead of euro's and did much better numbers wise, got around 30 in a few hours, but nothing over 10" this time. I was in about 1 ft deeper water but close to where I was night before. Im going to try shallower tonight and see if the size changes. Must say minnows made a big difference from the night before, and they really hit it hard. Not many people on the lake, access getting a little rough, had the spot all to myself again...its a wonderfull thing. Im still hoping to get a big one out there this year. Good luck out there.

looks like all of the fish are out by Pillsbury huh?

fished the bay last night and caught a grand total of one crappie... not even big enough to keep...lot of little sunnies though...

hardly saw any on the flasher either...

deeper water seems to be the key for this lake this year huh???

Diddy...I am fishing near anderson's reef, shallow water around 10ft deep and there are alot of crappies there, I gave up on the hole south of pillsbury because them fish just made me mad, and I am glad I did. This time of year I would stick to shallow water, it will produce better and better as the days go by. Good Luck.

Fished a smaller lake close to Waconia this morning from 6:15am - 7:45. I teach Sat school so I had to leave in order to get to school b4 8am. Anyway, using very small charchuse and pink jigs, gulp maggots and euros in 11 fow. 19 sunnies, kept 15, caught 14 Crappies kept 7. Also missed 3 or 4 at the top of the hole & broke my line once on a hook set. (dang small jigs and numb hands...) Largest sunnie went 8.5 inches and largest Crappie went 10.75. As soon as I chipped my hole open and dropped the vex and lines it was game on. Had a difficult time using two lines. Heres the kicker... There were about 7-8 portables in the same general area (I just sat on a bucket) and I heard some guys talking to one another that the bite was slow and they had been there since 5:30 and had only caught a couple... They were probably 15 yards from me. Now I can only assume that either they were full of it or were doing something drastically wrong. I was using 2lb test and spring bobbers so that may have been the ticket. Light bites. But man, were there fish there. Now I sit here in school procrastinating on my grading work. By the way, I heard the bite is hot right now just south of Pilsbury. Student told me yesterday. smile.gif

How is the ice looking out there? People still driving? Im more worried about the access and how bad that is beat up, havent been out for a couple days so id be nice to hear from someone thats been out recently...if cars are still out there, which access is in better shape, marina or west side? Thanx, also is there any other access that is in use other than those 2?