• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Blinds

ASMOLEY

Hey i was thinking of thing i'm going to buy once i get my tax return and i'm thinking of getting a double bull blind. If anyone currently has one i would like to hear what you think of it. I mainly would use it for bow hunting deer & turkeys. If you have any different blinds to suggest that would be great too! Thanks!

if you are going to hunt by yourself, most of the time, buy the T2. if you are hunting with a buddy buy the matrix. I have them both. i have not had any problems with them at all, but i hear they will really take care of you.

THE finest blind on the market for turkeys, antelope, deer etc. is unquestionably the "Turkey Silo" developed and built by a friend of mine in MO. Thru the years he has really fine tuned the blind. It's round like a tree, the fabric is extremely taught so it does NOT billow like a sail in slight or even moderate winds. It has 8 shooting windows that are oval shaped for bow shooting, it's 5+ feet in diameter, 7' tall with a roof. It's the cats (Contact US Regarding This Word) of all blinds. I've called many, many turkeys into bow and shotgun range outta the silo. Here are several photos. If anyone would like to know how to get there hands on one reply to this message and we'll get hooked up. He get's around $400 each fob the St Louis area.

paulwithbird2003.jpg

emmysilo1.sized.jpg

Turkey2005027.jpg

Those white/cream colored tail feather tips are absolutely awesome!!! Gonna have to get me one of those Merriams. I also hear they like to gobble cool.gif

Save yourself the $$$ and go with the Cabelas Full Draw Blind. It is great and easy to set up. Also it is very similar to the Double Bull Matrix. Check it out online at Cabelas and watch the video about it. I have yet to be dissapointed by mine. A few of my buddies also use them.

Hey Knute. I saw that blind on Cableas site. Looking at purchasing another blind or two that can be set up all season long in my regular spots. Looks like the shoot-through mesh window openings are substantial on the front. Any problems with deer spotting movement through them? Two other questions. Does it have shoot-through mesh windows on the other sides? And how do you close the windows? From the inside? Is it fairly silent to do?

Looks like a nice blind but I'd have to know those things and crawl inside one before ordering it.

Thanks for any info.

Chucker-

I'll answer these as quickly and consisly as possible.

The view to the front and the sides is great (At about a 45 angle on each side if facing forward, \_____/ ). The four large windows in the front are 22" X 22" and have shoot through mesh. There are 4 more smaller windows ~12"x18", 2 on the back near the door (not shoot through mesh, leave them open or closed) and two angled on the back side walls (shoot through mesh). The mesh is attached by velcro on the inside, and the covers for the windows just get bungeed up from the inside if you don't want the windows opened.

Overall my only beef is seeing directly to the sides at a 90 when facing forward (if you lean you can see those areas well enough through the windows). If you set up correctly facing the direction you think they will come from it is really not a problem.

I have not been noticed by the deer that I know of (you know how that goes, deer skirting just out of range etc...) When I bought it I was told to simply wear a black outfit when on the inside and that is what I have done. I do not believe any deer has sighted me or smelled me while inside the blind, I still use all other scent precautions.

Set up is very silent once you have practiced it before entering the field. It seems tricky at first but once you learn how to do it it is extremely simple. You just open it up, step half way inside and press two hubs aways from your body and it is locked in place. Stake it down and you are ready to hunt.

The material the blind is made from is tuff and seems as if it may be loud. However, once the blind is staked down and pulled tight it is very quiet even on breezy days. The material was a concern when I bought it but has not been a problem for me since.

I really like it for both the ease and $$$. I think it was a great purchase.

Thanks Knute. Checked out the video of it on their site. Think I will have to stop by Cabelas in Rogers the next time I'm down there and pick one up. Will probably hold out until I get the next coupon they're always sending me.

Well I went to Cabelas today and checked out the Full Draw. I also looked at the Stackhouse which is huge. After checking them out I went to Mills and looked at the Yukon Evader they had set up there. Very nice and huge windows. Inside center is 80 inches. The material seemed a little more solid then the Stackhouse. This seemed like the best one out there for the price in my mind. Marine General has a nice price on them. There is plenty of room for 2 people in this if you want to bring your kid or someone to video for you.

Hey Wallydog, I really like that silo blind. It's probably nice to be able to stand up when the legs get stiff and looks like it would work great with the bow. Where can a guy get a hold of one of theses? I'm still looking at a few different ones including a Double Bull they are pretty sweet too. There is just so many on the market its a tought decision.

ASMOLEY:

I'll state my opinion on the double bull again. It's the best out there, and the complete package. Your decision should be an easy one if you're willing to spend the money.

These are the selling points of any blind IMO, and you should stack each product up against these (in order of importance):

1. Concealment - The whole idea is to get closer to game. If the blind has any flap to it on a windy day, any leafy material hanging off of it, or a "sheen" to it (as most of the cheaper models do, including Cabelas full-draw), it will cost you chances at game sooner or later. The shine is caused by the poly material used, which also is louder and less durable. For turkeys, the flap, or movement on the blind is a major no-no. For whitetails, the sheen will kill you.

2. Durability - You can buy a $100 blind four times or a $400 blind once. I don't know of a more durable commercial blind out there, that still is as light, and can be set up as fast.

3. Ease of use - If it's hard to set up or just plain unweildy, you'll use it less. This is especially true for turkey hunting if you're trying to set up quickly.

4. Weight - If it's too heavy, you won't carry it with you and you won't use it. Granted the double-bull blinds are heavier than many of the cheaper models, but the weight is not unreasonable, and you don't have to sacrifice the above features to make it light.

So do your research, and check a few of the blinds out, including the double bull. I don't know anyone who hasn't been satisfied with the double bull, and I know quite a few bowhunters that use them.

Good luck!

Joel

I totally agree with you jnelson. I think most would agree Double makes one hell of a blind. But for the money especially when strapped for cash Cabelas does make a nice blind, as do many other companies. As for the "sheen" it is there but if you add some branches etc... infront of it and place it in a more shady spot you can usually take care of the problem when in the woods (but then again maybe that is the reason I didn't see deer on a couple trips, LOL, who knows?)

Great points on buying a blind though. You broke it down very nicely.

Knute:

Hey, thanks for the post and the kind words. After writing mine, I almost pulled it. I don't want to beat people over the head with the double-bull info, but I want people to be satisfied with their experiences in a ground blind, and hunting deer/turkeys in general. They're unreal for turkeys, and I'd just hate to see somebody give them up because the product they used was of poor quality/design.

The question then becomes, is it better to have a double bull or no blind at all? I don't know the answer to that. It could be argued that the game you do take from such a blind are worth the cost of it, especially for around $100 bucks. One could also argue that the birds/deer a poorer blind cost you are game you would've taken in a tree stand, or on the ground otherwise. Hard to say.

Thanks for your input!!!

Joel

Critical elements for any blind are:

1.Very Taught fabric, VERY taught!

2.Non-see thru fabric to eliminate the chance of seeing movement by hunters/observers within. (I see too many that have oversized see-thru mesh shooting windows that will certainly allow a gobbler to see the "shadow" move within the blind).

3. No shine on fabric is important (you can "mud-up" shiny fabric to a degree).

FYI, I've been hunting turkeys out of the "turkey silo" since 1989.

Blinds are perfect for youngens and oldens that can't sit still. I can't tell you how many full days I've spent in one. Just add a camp chair and the hours go by with ease.

Just my additional 2 cents worth.

WD