• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4-Wheel Drive

ASMOLEY

I was wondering how much snow is on the lake. I know we've had some weak winters so my car has been doing the traveling on the ice. I'm planning on making a trip up sometime in March and wonder if the car will work or should i bring the gas hog? Also how are the access holding up? Kinda limited with ground clearance if i bring the car.

Well if you could also tell us what the weather will be like before "sometime in March" we might be able to give you an answer.

just might want to bring the gas hog unless you plan on staying on the plowed roads. Can't see into the future for March but better safe than shoveling all the time.

This is kind of being a smart (Contact US Regarding This Word) but why would you own a pickup if you wouldn't take it ice fishing? Isn't that like having a hunting dog and leaving your lab at home but bringing your poodle? I would take the truck no matter what the weather is.

I'm a student with a limited budget if i can save $50 on gas i'm going to due that even if it makes the trip a little more difficult the savings is more important to me. If there isn't a chance i could get by with a car then it leaves me no choice. This year the car has worked fine on the lakes in my are but haven't had any time to make it up north. I'm a student with a limited budget if i can save $50 on gas i'm going to due that even if it makes the trip a little more difficult the savings is more important to me. If there isn't a chance i could get by with a car then it leaves me no choice. This year the car has worked fine on the lakes in my area but haven't had any time to make it up north so i don't know what the conditions where. I can see see your point 12lbs the car can be a drag but it works fine with my FishTrap Pro.

Asmoly. Sounds like you should sell the gas hog, and go into something a little easier than Ice fishing. You should study hard and stay in school

Don't listen to all the smart *** remarks posted earlier. The roads are plowed just fine in most locations, you see cars and mini-vans all over on the lake (on the roads). Just park off the beaten path and have at it with your portable, you'll be just fine. Of course if the weather turns sour, use common sense. Just remember, those that don't go to college usually end up working for someone that does! Good luck in school and on the ice!

p.s. If you want up to date conditions, call spider at westwind, he will be straight with you.

being a student smart move and I can understand saving the $$$$ being a student also budget is tight. take your car take some friends and enjoy the fishing however you get there. Good Luck and have Fun.

Good one about the poodle!!! Its kind of like the guys that complain about the gas mileage when they hook a 14 foot fishhouse onto their truck! DuH!

Personally, I've been stuck enough times even with a 4WD truck, unless you like shoveling and plan on bringing a bunch of friends to push, I'd use the truck. If you can't afford the gas, fish closer to home. Not trying to be a smartacre, but your priority right now should be school, you'll have many, many years to fish. Call it incentive to work harder at school so you can graduate and get a good paying job so you CAN afford fishing trips. Good luck with school. In the long run, it will be one of the best things you've ever done.

You will be just fine with the car. Just don't expect to drive off of the plowed roads. Bring a sled and pull it and you can get as far away from the crowds as necessary. You can look at it as an added adventure and prove to yourself and others that you have more grit, determination and stamina than most everbody else out there. Keep at the schooling, it will pay major dividends for the rest of your life.

Here is what college taught me. I was in the same boat, not enough money to do what I wanted to do. So here is what I did, instead of going up by myself in the car hoping to save $50 take the truck, to make up for the added expense you need to take a buddy along, make him pay for 2/3 because you are driving. Then, you also need to save some more gas $ for beer, so then you take 2 hot chicks along, they pay for your 1/3 of the gas $. They also pay for the beer since they are only paying 1/3 of the gas $. Then while you and your buddy are fishing you have the gals dance for you while you sit there and drink the beer. It is a beautiful plan and it can be worked to perfection. I don't charge for this kind of advice, I just give it out to young fellas like yourself because I'm a nice guy.

12lb8oz talk about some good financial advise you should quit your job and become a financial advisor! I am surprised nobody has told him to ride his bike with a basket to hold his fishing gear! I am heading up to LOW and Upper Red Friday the 24th will give you a report when I get back! Now get back to your financial advising!

DUD

I have barely been able to make it out fishing this winter. I have been to LOW 2 times and around DL 2 times. I am hoping March lets me go at least a couple of times. It's been the worst fishing year I can remember (especially compared to last year, that was the best ice fishing I've ever had). Good luck

Thanks for the support guys. I am really exicted about making it up there this year can't wait to get into some slabs!