• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

mapcreate frustration

picksbigwagon

Question

I finally had time last night to install all the software on the computer. after I was all done, I created a map that would almost fill my 1 gig chip, and when I went to create the map, nothing would happen. I know that the map card reader is able to read my card since it registered it, but when I click on create map, windows start popping open making sure the card is in the reader, etc. but nothing is put on the chip......I think I am going to uninstall everyting tonight and take another 3 hours to try it again. Anyone else have a similar problem?????

9 answers to this question

I have not had that problem but am curious to know how big of an area can you make a map of for 1 Gig? Just debating on how big of a chip to buy when I go buy Mapcreate.

I've only played with MapCreate once and was successful in filling the chip you get with it with the upper half of MN. As far as I know I followed the directions. Since I only did it once I don't remember the steps. Try again, it will most likely work. Like the last post asked, let us know how you can get on a 1 gbyte chip.

your kidding me....512 mb maps? no wonder, I had selected a map from wyoming to michigan, canada and denver too.......okay, so if I only do three states at a time, can I put all of that are in, if the card will hold 1 gig, can I put 3 or 4 different maps in that will account for a 1 GB chip????If so, then that is okay too

I have a 128MB card, and beleive I had all of Minn. and Wis. that I needed on that card. At the moment I am in Norman OK. (Missing all that weather up there)and was able to load all I needed along I35 to get here on that card. I thought of getting another card, but will be getting the Lakemaster card for MN. when the new one comes out. The way I understand, that card has good road detail on it so I won't need MN. loaded on my other card.

Big Diesel, if the ? is if there is a 1 gig chip, 1 gig and even 2 gig are available on the market with different read speeds. I read in a previous thread someone had success loading maps with a 1 gig chip. The Lowrance mapcreate manual states they have only tested up to 512 mb.

picksbigwagon, in regards to the chip reading problem. The first time I tried loading a map I inserted the chip upsidedown in the reader. You might also want to try unplugging and plugging in again the card reader before doing an uninstall.

The amount of area you can load on a chip all depends on the level of detail you choose to have displayed (topo, public lands, heavy urban, etc.). And yes you can load multiple maps on one chip equalling up to the total size of the chip. There a menu option in the iFinder's that allow you to access the different map files.

Not sure if that answered questions. Hope it helps.

redbandit

Thanks Redbandit that's good info!

So just make a few different maps and load up the 1 gig and then select the maps individually.

yep, I created a map of ND,SD, NB,IA, WI, and 90% of MI including the yuup.....485mb....I still have room for colorado wyoming and montana or canada if I so choose.....on that same chip. with that in mind, why would I ever us 5 cards???

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.